Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

what problems are there with the TG 010?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 05:27 AM
triked
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what problems are there with the TG 010?

I am trying to decide wether to get 010 or keep the 09 tg! I know the problems with the 09 but havent heard alot about the 10's. Need a little advise before making the step.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:11 AM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New owner here.I have heard the leak is fixed and the heat situation is greater on the 10.Only 40 miles here and the biggest problem I've got is it's locked in my trailer til I get to TX.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:05 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2010 Tri's

Originally Posted by triked
I am trying to decide wether to get 010 or keep the 09 tg! I know the problems with the 09 but havent heard alot about the 10's. Need a little advise before making the step.
Although they made several small improvments to the 2010, larger rear brake and caliper, moved reverse trip switch to a more convienant location, fixed the trunk leak the heat problem may be a problem according to where you live and how much summer riding you do.

The addition of the catalytic converter in the headpipe does make the Trike run a little hotter. The effect of this is more prounounced in July, August days in the south where we have a lot of 90 plus days with high humidity. The Trike is also underpower when compared to the 09 again because of the cat stuffing in the headpipe.

If you plan to do any of the common performance mods most of us do yoou will not be able to take full advantge of the mods because of the Catalytic Converter in the headpipe.

I wish I had bought the 09, I could have fixed the trunk leak with the new gasket Harley provides now"same as the 2010"and moved the reverse trip switch down myself. The new rear brake caliper is a direct bolt on also.

The Ultra's were on the edge of a heat problem with the addition of the new cat but with the added weight of the Trike and I am a big guy also the two up on that trike on a hot day is just to much for it to overcome.

The Trike does well now with the weather being cooler but I fear I will be into the same prediciment next July and August. The long lights and traffic conjestion of some of the places I ride make the Trike peg out the ambient air and keeps the EITMS kicked in way to much. I am not only talking about rider discomfort but worry about extended engine life.

I wish I had bought the 09, could have just done the slipons, High Volume AC and Stage I download to help get me some more performance and cool it off. I have the Lenale Fan and Jagg 10 row oil cooler on the 2010 and would recommend it on the 09's if you do a lot of city riding.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:42 AM
robandlyn
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Coupe55 !
There are not enough improvements on a 2010 to warrant the loss of $$$$ towards getting one.
Keep the 09 fix the things Coupe listed. Luckily where we live the last 2 Summers saw
only 5 days (maybe not even that) of 90+ heat and not even that many more of
80+ heat. So we can deal with the heat issue until someone comes out with a
better heat management system for it, are you listening FUEL MOTO ;-)
Rob .....

Old 11-08-2009, 07:51 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Keep the 09! If I had known what was in store for 10 I would have bought a 09. I kick myself in the back side about turning down a Red Hot Sunglow 09 the dealer had coming back in May. I'm lucky because my Dad has a 09 so I can ride his and then ride my 10 to feel the difference. Between the 2 trikes I have noticed the 09 runs cooler and has more power. The tempurature difference is noticable in the warmer weather and can be quite uncomfortable. I have recorded surface temps on the right leg of my pants of 140 deg with a IR temp gun. The power difference is real noticable when loaded down for a trip and 2 up. My dad can run 75 mph in 6th gear with his cruise control set and not loose speed going up a hill. My 10 under the same circumstances will loose speed causing me to disengage the cruise and down shift so I don't get run down by traffic that is behind me. The rest is pretty much identical, his handles the same, stops the same, rides the same, its pretty much no real touch & feel different. As mentioned the reverse power and electronics have been relocated on the 10 and the trunk seal is different. The trunk seal they are using on the 10 is what they are now installing on the 09's to repair the trunk leak those people are experiencing.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:05 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When the 2010 XXX came out with the better brakes. And the reverse breaker mod. I said I should of waited. I like the looks of the 2010 XXX verses the TG. Ill keep my 09 TG . I can always strip it down to look like a 10XXX. I remember back in 1974 when the CATS were being put on cars. What a pain in the neck it was for any mods. They ran hot clogged up. Could not pass state inspection if removed. I see the down hill trend of the Air cooled Engine with all this EPA stuff being forced on the Motor Co. Glad I have my 09. At this time in my life don't need a repeat of 1974 yes my 09 TG ran on the hot side on a Hot Humid day around 80F. Till I had the Stage 1 done. Runs a lot cooler and better all around. My heart is close to the Evolution Engine but that is History. Ill keep my 09 TG

Old 11-09-2009, 09:35 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Triked, I have to agree with Coupe, Mike & Rob and say keep the ’09! The positive changes to the 2010 are relatively minor and are things that can be retro-fitted to the ’09. The major change (CAT) to the ’10 is IMO a big negative and will only intensify the heat problem!

As much as I complained about the issues with my ’09…I am glad that I didn’t wait for a 2010 TG!

Old 11-10-2009, 07:49 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I totally agree, keep the 09. Normally it is not good to buy the first year of a model but this is the exception. MOCO made changes to the 2010 and screwed it up. There is no way I would buy a 10 over a 09.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:17 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Have to knock on wood.....I don't have a heat issue with my '09. I rode in over 100* weather this summer traveling and didn't notice excessive heat. I did ride in 42* and 55* weather the past couple weeks....it's nice to have a built-in heater