Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Why did you pick a trike or hack?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 03:05 PM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm sure most of you know why my ride is set up the way it is. i won't rehash all the blood and gore, but the reason it's set up that way is because it's the same bike from the accident (sentimental thing) and it's the only bike that i can safely ride. i wish i could jump on any bike and take off, but i can't.

ride safe

grimm

Old 10-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by grimm
i'm sure most of you know why my ride is set up the way it is. i won't rehash all the blood and gore, but the reason it's set up that way is because it's the same bike from the accident (sentimental thing) and it's the only bike that i can safely ride. i wish i could jump on any bike and take off, but i can't.

ride safe

grimm
I wish more had your attitude grimm... God love you for it too!

Old 10-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have advanced Anklyosing Spondilitis. Too hard to hold two wheels up anymore. Needed a can to walk with for several years now.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:19 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Time to Trike

Originally Posted by krw
19 years ago I almost lost a foot. It's been going down hill ever since. I had my ankle replaced in December. 2 Major surgeries, 21 days in the hospital, 3 skin grafs and lots of physical therapy. I'm currently on disability.

The original injury had 5 surgeries and 1 skin graf. Many days of physical therapy.

My ankle was unstable, plus being short! We finally purchased the Tri Glide in June while I was in the hospital. My wife made the deal. Lake Shore H-D was very fair in the dealings. No problems at all.

We did consider the Lehman conversion. The dealer was 160 miles away!

I have attached an x-ray for your enjoyment!
Without the violin music! When you are 59 and running a close second with Evil Knievel in the broken bone department you start thinking about a little more stable platform. Got a little inner ear balance thing somedays and the old iron butt has gone softer than a marshmellow. I get wore out dialing long distance! Got one of the awards credit cards that I had about 1200 saved up on toward any new car or bike and this year I can take the state sales tax and fee's off on my Federal taxes. The tax break on my federal in and of itself is not worth rushing out and buying a new Harley for but if you are going to trade anyway, every little bit helps.

I am of the opinion the 2010 Tri glide will also be a low production run. I expect some respectable resale value once this recession ends. Again not enough reason to go out and buy a new trike but it all adds up on the scale.

I will wait until someone starts the grossest bike crash x-ray on the forum contest before I post my screwed together anatomy. If there is some prize money available, I might win some chrome money!

Last edited by coupe55; 10-08-2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Shortened sentence
Old 10-08-2009, 06:43 PM
pork
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Just lucky

You guys almost make me feel guilty for buying a trike, since we didn't really have any physical issues. My wife had a horrible accident on her first bike over 4 years ago, but she had come all the way back and more, and was handling her Road King Classic just fine. So, we just bought the trike because the price was right. However, we are now learning that we are much better off with her on the trike. We both worry less, which means we will have a much easier time deciding to go for short local rides. Touring is also easier, partly because she is on a more stable platform, and partly because we have much more storage room now. We weren't smart enough to see all of this in advance; we were just lucky.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:20 PM
krw
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
Without the violin music! When you are 59 and running a close second with Evil Knievel in the broken bone department you start thinking about a little more stable platform. Got a little inner ear balance thing somedays and the old iron butt has gone softer than a marshmellow. I get wore out dialing long distance! Got one of the awards credit cards that I had about 1200 saved up on toward any new car or bike and this year I can take the state sales tax and fee's off on my Federal taxes. The tax break on my federal in and of itself is not worth rushing out and buying a new Harley for but if you are going to trade anyway, every little bit helps.

I am of the opinion the 2010 Tri glide will also be a low production run. I expect some respectable resale value once this recession ends. Again not enough reason to go out and buy a new trike but it all adds up on the scale.

I will wait until someone starts the grossest bike crash x-ray on the forum contest before I post my screwed together anatomy. If there is some prize money available, I might win some chrome money!

I knew there was a violin player in there.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:12 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default We Call em fiddle's

Originally Posted by krw
I knew there was a violin player in there.

Bet you surfed the forum for days looking for a chance to use that icon
I bet most guys fake a limp just as excuse to buy that Trike. It is a killer looking ride and the 09 was a knock out!

I am looking for a crying in my beer icon but being from Ky. use the fiddle until they come up with one! I bought a 2010 Tri that runs hotter than Hades in July, passed on an 09 .

Harly missed a good oportunity to sell a well made trike for a host of reasons or excuses.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:43 PM
krw
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
Bet you surfed the forum for days looking for a chance to use that icon
I bet most guys fake a limp just as excuse to buy that Trike. It is a killer looking ride and the 09 was a knock out!

I am looking for a crying in my beer icon but being from Ky. use the fiddle until they come up with one! I bought a 2010 Tri that runs hotter than Hades in July, passed on an 09 .

Harly missed a good oportunity to sell a well made trike for a host of reasons or excuses.
I have what I call my "Pimp Limp" .

Spent some time at Ft. Knox. Ky has some great riding. Rolling hills, great people.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:33 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by pork
You guys almost make me feel guilty for buying a trike, since we didn't really have any physical issues. My wife had a horrible accident on her first bike over 4 years ago, but she had come all the way back and more, and was handling her Road King Classic just fine. So, we just bought the trike because the price was right. However, we are now learning that we are much better off with her on the trike. We both worry less, which means we will have a much easier time deciding to go for short local rides. Touring is also easier, partly because she is on a more stable platform, and partly because we have much more storage room now. We weren't smart enough to see all of this in advance; we were just lucky.
Don't feel alone. I'm 45 years old and the only health issue I have is diabetes. I bought the Triglide with my wife in mind. She has some problems with her right knee which limits how long she can ride without stopping and moving it around. I got the trike so she could move around all she wanted on the back and not worry about upsetting the ride. A side benefit is the large amount of storage space. I did keep my 06 Ultra Classic so I have the best of both worlds. If I'm talking a short hop I ride the 06 and if I'm going some distance I'll take the Triglide.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:47 AM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride a trike due to a damaged vestibular system. Get some pretty strange looks now, cause I kinda walk like a drunk. I really liked the idea of a hack because of lower cost and being able to carry a lot more stuff, but settled on a trike. It handles and corners better and most of my riding is done in the mountains. Although, I'm still a little envious when I see a nice sidecar unit. Maybe stems from the fact that I grew up in Europe (airforce brat) and sidecars were everywhere. My uncle in England even had a Vespa with a sidecar back in the late 60's. Very cute.......but slow.

Quick Reply: Why did you pick a trike or hack?