Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

rear brake squeek

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009 | 02:41 PM
hd74inca
|
Cruiser
Default rear brake squeek

hello,

wondering if anyone is experiencing rear brake squeal or squeak? seems when ever i apply my rear breaks i get a faint squeal. i have 1300 miles on the trike and at the 1000 mile service they told me the pads needed to adjust because they are new. this of course sounds like BS to me.

any input?

thanks,
David
socal

Old 10-04-2009 | 02:56 PM
Road Warrior

U guessed it...it's BS.

Try using them more often and HARDER to keep the glaze knocked off and set the pads. Some TG owners are going to aftermarket pads and I am sure some of them will chime-in here. The pad has to be burned into the rotor and you won't do that unless you heat them up with sudden stops few times and then let them cool.

Don't do what a lady I knew did once....spray some WD-40 on them. She could not stop, but she had some real quite brakes.

Old 10-04-2009 | 04:39 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member

My 09 TG rear brakes squeek. It's the bk dust that causing it on my TG. It is what it is. It does not bother me any more as its normal for the TG to have rear brake squeek. If I blow out the rear brakes with compressed air it will stop for a while .

Old 10-04-2009 | 05:34 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

It is very common for the rear brakes to squeak on HDs. I had that on my 06 Ultra and went to Lyndall brake shoes and that took care of the problem. Msocko3 had the same problem on his 06 Ultra and switched over to Lyndall shoes.

Old 10-04-2009 | 06:22 PM
Road Warrior

I vote with the msoko's. I am sure brake designers try and match a pad to a rotor, but there are numerous compounds out there that don't dust-up as much as others. I don't have a TG, but mine don't squeak, chirp or dust-up too badly. The sad thing is that if you take it back to the dealer for service, all they will do is put the same pads back on.

Old 10-04-2009 | 06:54 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Squaky Pads

Originally Posted by hd74inca
hello,

wondering if anyone is experiencing rear brake squeal or squeak? seems when ever i apply my rear breaks i get a faint squeal. i have 1300 miles on the trike and at the 1000 mile service they told me the pads needed to adjust because they are new. this of course sounds like BS to me.

any input?

thanks,
David
socal
Mine have squeaked since new, I have over 1000 on the Trike and they are getting better. I usually brake hard before I leave the driveway and they are quiet for the rest of the day. My old chevy does the same thing. I tired brake clean on them and they will quieten down for a day or two. The brake don't seem to be as responsive or as strong as the front brake but when using both at the same time like you are supposed to they bring the big Trike to a respectable stop>

Try the brake clean, I use Gunk and it is available at about any auto store.

Old 10-05-2009 | 12:48 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by coupe55
Mine have squeaked since new, I have over 1000 on the Trike and they are getting better.
I actualy had a guy in a parking lot run up to me and tell me my Triglide needed to brakes. I told him there was only 2,500 miles on them and didn't he relize its a Harley and its normal.

Old 10-05-2009 | 06:44 AM
krw
Tourer

here is the email I received about Lyndall brakes:
Kevin,

Use our part # 7254 Z-Plus, they will work great! Also check that your rear caliper is probably NOT in a parallel in relation to the brake disk. You will have to correct this for best results. Also a floating rotor out back is not a bad option. H-D has done a soft recall on these, basically a band aid that you get at the local dealer for free. You can call me for more insight into this issue 800-400-9490.
Please let us know how we can be of service.
Thank you for choosing Lyndall Racing Brakes!!

Best regards, Paul

Old 10-05-2009 | 08:02 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't have a trike but my rear brakes started squeaking at 3500 miles. It's so annoying!

Old 10-05-2009 | 08:23 AM
Road Warrior

I have a riding buddy that has an '07 Ultra. I think the ABS feature aggravates the problem as it distributes the braking power across all the calipers. The advice from his service manager was to purposely brake VERY HARD on occasion. He does this often and it seems to help. I don't know if the TG brakes have anti-rattle clips in there or not. Most rear brakes on 2-wheelers do.

Quick Reply: rear brake squeek