Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

rear brake squeek

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009 | 10:06 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Default Why no ABS on TG models?

I was told by a couple Harley sales peeps that there was no ABS on any of the Tri-Glide wheels. Which doesn't make sense since now you have three wheels making a footprint as opposed to two. I guess that was too much engineering to do at one time since they obviously wanted to get this new product on the market. Also, they would be relying on another vendor to do the assembly. Just my opinion.
Anyone else know why?

Old 10-06-2009 | 06:33 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by krw
here is the email I received about Lyndall brakes:
Kevin,

Use our part # 7254 Z-Plus, they will work great! Also check that your rear caliper is probably NOT in a parallel in relation to the brake disk. You will have to correct this for best results. Also a floating rotor out back is not a bad option. H-D has done a soft recall on these, basically a band aid that you get at the local dealer for free. You can call me for more insight into this issue 800-400-9490.
Please let us know how we can be of service.
Thank you for choosing Lyndall Racing Brakes!!

Best regards, Paul
I'll be switching to Lyndall pads sometime here, I don't care for the squealing.

Old 10-07-2009 | 06:38 PM
PopDukes
Cruiser

Sadly, mine have been very bad from day one. 09 bought last March. Brakes were replaced once already and still squeak very bad. I agree they will most likely always squeak when depressed and can pretty much live with that. My issue is that the brakes still squeak when coasting. I do think its the parking brake. As recently it was very lose and not doing the job but the coast squeak stopped. When they were recently calibrated to factory pressure by the dealer, they have begun to squeak during coasting again.

I plan to take it to them again, the 10th time since purchased on brake issues, and will let you know the results.

Has anyone found a dealer or Harley to deal with the heat issue yet? My oil has reached 300 degrees and on long rides the overspray saturates the air filter. Also have measured the heat on my thighs at near 150 degrees.

Old 10-07-2009 | 08:27 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by PopDukes
My oil has reached 300 degrees and on long rides the overspray saturates the air filter. Also have measured the heat on my thighs at near 150 degrees.
I believe that you can cure the oil overspray by running your oil level 1/2 quart low. I found by running my oil 1/2 quart I don't have that problem.

Old 10-08-2009 | 08:51 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Heat Issue:

Originally Posted by PopDukes
Sadly, mine have been very bad from day one. 09 bought last March. Brakes were replaced once already and still squeak very bad. I agree they will most likely always squeak when depressed and can pretty much live with that. My issue is that the brakes still squeak when coasting. I do think its the parking brake. As recently it was very lose and not doing the job but the coast squeak stopped. When they were recently calibrated to factory pressure by the dealer, they have begun to squeak during coasting again.

I plan to take it to them again, the 10th time since purchased on brake issues, and will let you know the results.

Has anyone found a dealer or Harley to deal with the heat issue yet? My oil has reached 300 degrees and on long rides the overspray saturates the air filter. Also have measured the heat on my thighs at near 150 degrees.
I am assuming we are talking about a 2010 Tri since most of the 09 Tri owners don't complain about the heat! I think most of the dealers and MOCO are sidestepping the heat issue unless some lucky 2010 owners got a dealer to fix one on the QT.

A couple of us are going to fix the 2010 ourselves when the riding season is over and we get some downtime this winter. Stay tuned but be advised the cure may not be for the squeamish. I would venture to say we will have the heat problem cured by Easter and you can also take this to the bank! Harley will be hiding eggs without us after this one! I may buy used, but new.... NEVER AGAIN!

Old 10-09-2009 | 03:39 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by coupe55
Harley will be hiding eggs without us after this one! I may buy used, but new.... NEVER AGAIN!
I almost went that direction before I took delivery of my TG. I had located a 2006 Ultra Classic with only 2,500 miles on it. I thought about buying it and pulling the engine and doing either a 103 or a 113 Head Quarters build on it. I was going to then have a Motor Trike kit installed. Changed my mind once I started to figure out it would have cost me a fair amount more than I was going to be spending on the Triglide with all the bolt ons.

Old 10-09-2009 | 08:13 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

Coupe55, I think if you do a search you will find that 09 TG owners did a LOT of complaining about the heat!

Old 10-09-2009 | 03:45 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
Coupe55, I think if you do a search you will find that 09 TG owners did a LOT of complaining about the heat!
You are correct. I did alot of complaining about the heat from the 09 but it is a different heat problem. I was complaining about the oil temp heat. My o6 ultra never ran over 235 to 240 degrees where the TG is running near 300. The heat on the 2010 is extreme heat on the leg which I don't have that.

Old 10-10-2009 | 12:11 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by coupe55
I am assuming we are talking about a 2010 Tri since most of the 09 Tri owners don't complain about the heat! I think most of the dealers and MOCO are sidestepping the heat issue unless some lucky 2010 owners got a dealer to fix one on the QT.

A couple of us are going to fix the 2010 ourselves when the riding season is over and we get some downtime this winter. Stay tuned but be advised the cure may not be for the squeamish. I would venture to say we will have the heat problem cured by Easter and you can also take this to the bank! Harley will be hiding eggs without us after this one! I may buy used, but new.... NEVER AGAIN!
Coupe,
Unfortunately the ‘09’s aren’t immuned from the heat problem but as hard as it is to believe, the 2010’s are actually hotter!

Old 10-10-2009 | 06:02 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Coupe,
Unfortunately the ‘09’s aren’t immuned from the heat problem but as hard as it is to believe, the 2010’s are actually hotter!
The sad part is it is a easier fix to cool a 09 down non CA market bike. Just add a better oil cooler, a tuner and tweak it. If you want it even cooler yet toss in some cams with more overlap and cool it down even more. The 10's and the CA market trikes with the cats are a tougher nut to crack. Get the AFR to rich and it makes the converter run hotter and eventualy it will plug. The 09 CA market can solve the cat problem by changing the head pipes with those from a no cat equipped one. The 10's with the O2 sensors located where they are will be a bit tougher problem. I'm on the fence right now whether to get a set of 09 head pipes and tig some bungs in them for the O2 sensors or get a set of the 304 stainless head pipes from Fuelmoto and have a extension piece made for the right muffler.