Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

What is the difference ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 02:44 PM
JSH
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the difference ...

Why is HD so uptight about pulling a trailer ... consider this:

One Up 250lbs
Trailer 125lbs
Hitch 20lbs
Cargo 100lbs
Total 495lbs

As opposed to

One Up 250lbs
Passenger 200lbs
Cargo 50lbs

Total 500lbs

Old 09-30-2009, 03:14 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

How can they guarantee it won't be 2 up with a 200 lb rider 150 lb passanger plus 130 lbs of luggage or what not split between the tour-pak and trunk. Then a trailer of 120 - 150 lbs and 100 lbs or more of junk thrown in the trailer. It gets to the point where the drive train wasn't designed to handle that. I can see their point, I may not agree but I can see it. Whats to keep a clown from hooking to a small utility trailer and loading several bags of concrete mix.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:03 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JSH
Why is HD so uptight about pulling a trailer ... consider this:

One Up 250lbs
Trailer 125lbs
Hitch 20lbs
Cargo 100lbs
Total 495lbs

As opposed to

One Up 250lbs
Passenger 200lbs
Cargo 50lbs

Total 500lbs
Originally Posted by msocko3
How can they guarantee it won't be 2 up with a 200 lb rider 150 lb passanger plus 130 lbs of luggage or what not split between the tour-pak and trunk. Then a trailer of 120 - 150 lbs and 100 lbs or more of junk thrown in the trailer. It gets to the point where the drive train wasn't designed to handle that. I can see their point, I may not agree but I can see it. Whats to keep a clown from hooking to a small utility trailer and loading several bags of concrete mix.
Well guys, you both make very valid point, to which I agree; however, I’m going to take a completely different tack here and come at this from what is possibly the view point of H-D’s legal department.

It would not surprise me to learn the real concern is legal labiality, rather than being a drive train or suspension warranty concerns. By not selling trailer hitches and voiding warranties on bikes equipped to tow and inserting a disclaimer in the owner’s handbook, Harley makes a statement that they do not endorse towing; which could be their defense in any litigation arising out of a towing incident.

Right or wrong, just another view point to consider or possibly a little of both, the mechanical ware and tare issue plus legal considerations!

Old 09-30-2009, 11:23 PM
tmigala
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Jimer has hit the nail on the head

Old 10-01-2009, 12:29 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 288 Likes on 191 Posts

Harley , Honda and just all the others.....the courts have granted large settlements for accidents that the manufacturers hadnothing to do with....Harley sued because some idiot hooked a Harbor Frieght trailer loaded with 500 pounds of building material and the trailer comes loose and causes the accident....owner " hey not my fault, Harley should have told me" " Harley should have built it better" " Harbor Freight should have told me" ......yadda yadda.

Live live in the " NOT MY FAULT" world.....I'm sure Harley would love to sell chrome hitches, trailers etc.....more money for them, but with all the " sue happy people" nope...I can see their point.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:49 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by tmigala
The Jimer has hit the nail on the head
I agree.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:56 AM
bluehdmc
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Imagine a scenario, you're pulling your trailer with maybe total weight of 250lbs going around a curve and have to stop suddenly. That trailer is gonna push you around and possibly cause you to lose control. I've been told by others that the trailer pushed them around going down a curvy hill, the bike's brakes aren't designed for the weight of the trailer much less where the center of gravity while braking is with that 250lb trailer. I have a trailer hitch on my road king, it just mounts on the bottom of the rear fender so in a braking incident all the force is pushing against the rear wheel. I'm sure it's more the liabilty issue than anything else.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 140 Likes on 92 Posts

What I've always found interesting all the options that HD will allow with seemingly no concern for liability. They will sell you a GPS unit to hang on the handle bars so you have something to watch when you're in traffic. They have everything you need to get more power and speed out of your bike. My question to the Motor Company would "who would expose you to the most liability, a rider that has just install all your performance goodies and is running it through the curves to see what she'll do or a couple on an Ultra pulling a trailer?"