Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

calif smog & stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 01:17 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I can tell the difference between the 09 Triglide with stage 1 and HD slip ons and the 2010 with the same. The 09 which is my dads has more power, runs cooler and gets better gas mileage. My 2010 runs hot, won't go up a hill in 6th gear at 75 mph without loosing speed, the best gas mileage I've gotten is 27 the worse is 21.8. My dads 09 averages in the mid to upper 30's with a few times in the lower 40's.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:05 PM
hd74inca
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
I can't remember what you are riding David.... 2009, 2010... TG or other
Hey wizard,

my trike is an '09. first of the month i will go back to the dealer and get a reconfirmation that the stage 1, download, and slip on SE pipes are state legal. he told me they were but who can say, hate to drop the $ just to fail some bullshi- smog test. i can't believe the SE pipes are that loud! freaggen crotch rocket went by me in what must have been 2nd gear and 4500 rpms screaming. almost blew out my ear drums. i guess the old saying "loud pipes save lives" is true because i heard him before i saw him.

i really like this state but there is a reason they call it the "granola state." full of fruits, nuts and flakes.

more to follow i am sure.

david
oceanside, calif

Old 09-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Triguy
Intermediate

I have a CA 09 Triglide. Stage I (SE Touring mufflers, Air Cleaner, Remap) definitely increased power for me. Stock condition had me concerned about lugging the engine, but now I have more power in all gears and find I am getting more power at lower rpms, and when I roll on the throttle, there is better throttle response. Engine still runs very hot in stop and go traffic.
Heard from Harley guys that were ticketed in Malibu for having aftermarket pipes(non-Harley) whether they were loud or not. Screaming Eagle mufflers would be considered equivalent to stock since they are street legal. I think all CA Harley add-ons are now street legal and conform to Ca Air Resources Board requirements.
Yes, the stage I is the most bang for the buck. Best add-on I have done...

Old 09-20-2009, 08:40 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When I did the stage 1 on my 09 TG I put on the 4" SE slip ons and they are 50 state street legal.They have a nice deep rumble to them and are not loud at cruising speeds of 70 to 75 mph. I am not into loud anymore.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:34 AM
hd74inca
Cruiser

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
When I did the stage 1 on my 09 TG I put on the 4" SE slip ons and they are 50 state street legal.They have a nice deep rumble to them and are not loud at cruising speeds of 70 to 75 mph. I am not into loud anymore.
oldmsocko, are you saying the slip on mufflers are only 4 inches long? i did not see them listed in the harley catalog or the SE section. i would think at 4 inches they would not clear the bottom of the trunk on this trike.

david
socal

Old 09-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by hd74inca
hello,

as the title says i have a calif smogged trike. i plan on having the stage one, download and SE slip on pipes installed. before i spend the cash for the stage one what can i expect from this set up? Im leaving the cat for the time being. this state is crazy enough and may start the smog on bikes.

will i notice anymore hq and tq with the stage one and cat still on the bike?

thanks,
david
socal
Spent several hours yesterday working on a bike, 07, EG. He had stock head pipes but changed his mufflers to slip on D&D's and installed the SEAC. He had HD do the stage 1 re-flash. He had 22,000 miles on this bike.

We pulled his stock head pipes with the cross over tube and installed V&H true dual head pipes. As I was pulling off his HD heat shields the pipes were so black and blue I just couldn't believe it. The plugs read lean and white. The 02 sensors were as white as a cotton ball.

Compression check was 185 front cylinder but 161 on the rear, no immediate leak down thank goodness. That's a 13% differential between the two. Just barely within tolerance differential which is 15%. He has an extended warranty until 2011 but HD will do nothing about it. The back cylinder was so lean it has dropped the compression by overheating the piston and rings.

He purchased a SEST and I did a dyno for him. The stage 1 map was not so bad on the front but the back was WAY off. Heck, his idle didn't even sound like a Harley. After a few dyno runs and a lot of work on that back weak cylinder the bike smoothed out. Sound was great and he loved the newly found HP and TQ.

Now why did I bring this up? The stock ECM map from HD is EPA compliant and real lean. This is not a secret, everyone knows it. The stage 1 re-flash is a little better but it will not be set to your bike. It will be a generically richer map. So, you ask what is wrong with that? When you use a canned or generic map there is no way of telling how well or how badly it will effect the motor operation at a certain throttle opening and RPM until a skilled dyno tuner is able to look at your 02 readings across the same spectrum. This is why the SERT, SEST or Power Commander, and the list goes on, was invented. The "auto tune" fuel management systems are becoming more popular due to the costs of a "non-auto tune" systems and the work required by a dyno tune guy to find hidden HP and TQ which will also cool your motor. This must be done for each motor modification when it pertains to combustion or exhaust.

I can go on and on but no need to write a book here. You ask if the SE slipon's, SEAC and a stage 1 re-flesh will help your motor with the new cat crossover. The answer is yes but to what degree both in the motor and to your expectations is the X factor. Another concern is how will the new 02 readings effect your cat. The richer you run the hotter your cat will be. It is possible to burn up a cat over time and they are not cheap. To stay legal within any state you must know and understand the law. While some riders are fine with what HD gave them others expect more, I know I do.

As HD changes their designs there will always be aftermarket running very closely behind them to assist with a redesign of the new models. This happens every year there is a major change. There is a period of trial and error also included with this "technology catch up" period. So hang in there, try to be patient and good things will come as long as the state law allows if that is your concern. If not, pull those mufflers, head pipes, cams... get a fuel management system and/or a great tune and put a HUGE smile on your face and pay the dreaded Harley Tax.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:48 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default California Cats

Originally Posted by hd74inca
hello,

as the title says i have a calif smogged trike. i plan on having the stage one, download and SE slip on pipes installed. before i spend the cash for the stage one what can i expect from this set up? Im leaving the cat for the time being. this state is crazy enough and may start the smog on bikes.

will i notice anymore hq and tq with the stage one and cat still on the bike?

thanks,
david
socal
Your problem has just become all our problems from 2010 on! Harley went with the Caalytic Converter on about all models in 2010 not just the Cali,CVO and Export Models.

You will not be able to take full advantage of the mods because you still have the obstruction in the head pipe,"the Cat Material". I believe you would see some performance gains however. Just not the same as a pre 2010, Cali,CVO or Export without the Cat.

You will probably ruin the cat overtime by an enrichened AFR, the extra fuel may cause the Cat to Clog up over time and make a heat holding situation worse.

I would get the FuelMoto HeadPipe and go with the PCV or something I could take off before I had to take it back to the dealer. MOCO will sell you the mods and the Map and then probably void the warranty on the Cat. I hear that headpipe with the Cat is very expensive.

I really have no dogs in this fight, East Ky. and I won't have to worry about the tree huggers hassling me. I just have to work around the warranty. Will wait to see if the fuelmoto sets a trouble code or sets off the check engine light with the new Narrow Band O2 senors and the upgraded ECM on the 2010. Will definately go the FuelMoto route or even dig the stuffing out of my original headpipe. It seems FuelMotto must have had a heads up on this and would not develop a product that would set off a check engine or service light but will not be the first one to try it.

I have taken other measures to deal with the heat, Jagg 10 row oil cooler and a Lanale Fan but that don't do a thing for me on performance. That obstruction in my exhaust system is still there.

Last edited by coupe55; 09-20-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:38 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Spent several hours yesterday working on a bike, 07, EG. He had stock head pipes but changed his mufflers to slip on D&D's and installed the SEAC. He had HD do the stage 1 re-flash. He had 22,000 miles on this bike.

We pulled his stock head pipes with the cross over tube and installed V&H true dual head pipes. As I was pulling off his HD heat shields the pipes were so black and blue I just couldn't believe it. The plugs read lean and white. The 02 sensors were as white as a cotton ball.

Compression check was 185 front cylinder but 161 on the rear, no immediate leak down thank goodness. That's a 13% differential between the two. Just barely within tolerance differential which is 15%. He has an extended warranty until 2011 but HD will do nothing about it. The back cylinder was so lean it has dropped the compression by overheating the piston and rings.

He purchased a SEST and I did a dyno for him. The stage 1 map was not so bad on the front but the back was WAY off. Heck, his idle didn't even sound like a Harley. After a few dyno runs and a lot of work on that back weak cylinder the bike smoothed out. Sound was great and he loved the newly found HP and TQ.

Now why did I bring this up? The stock ECM map from HD is EPA compliant and real lean. This is not a secret, everyone knows it. The stage 1 re-flash is a little better but it will not be set to your bike. It will be a generically richer map. So, you ask what is wrong with that? When you use a canned or generic map there is no way of telling how well or how badly it will effect the motor operation at a certain throttle opening and RPM until a skilled dyno tuner is able to look at your 02 readings across the same spectrum. This is why the SERT, SEST or Power Commander, and the list goes on, was invented. The "auto tune" fuel management systems are becoming more popular due to the costs of a "non-auto tune" systems and the work required by a dyno tune guy to find hidden HP and TQ which will also cool your motor. This must be done for each motor modification when it pertains to combustion or exhaust.

I can go on and on but no need to write a book here. You ask if the SE slipon's, SEAC and a stage 1 re-flesh will help your motor with the new cat crossover. The answer is yes but to what degree both in the motor and to your expectations is the X factor. Another concern is how will the new 02 readings effect your cat. The richer you run the hotter your cat will be. It is possible to burn up a cat over time and they are not cheap.

I did not read this before posting, been predicting it for weeks on two forums but this is the firsthand proof of what a lean condition and a catalytic converter can do to a Harley engine. White, plugs, white O2 sensor, cylinder compression off by 13%. Looks pretty gruesume at first read but if that was an 07 some of us 2010 owners may still have time to get ours fixed before we cause to much damage.

My pipes have turned blue right in front of the converter but the color seems confined in that area right now. I really babied it during the breakin period and have not let the engine EIMTS kick in but once. I will get the cat off as soon as possible and get me a PC5 and a good tuner.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:38 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
I did not read this before posting, been predicting it for weeks on two forums but this is the firsthand proof of what a lean condition and a catalytic converter can do to a Harley engine. White, plugs, white O2 sensor, cylinder compression off by 13%. Looks pretty gruesume at first read but if that was an 07 some of us 2010 owners may still have time to get ours fixed before we cause to much damage.

My pipes have turned blue right in front of the converter but the color seems confined in that area right now. I really babied it during the breakin period and have not let the engine EIMTS kick in but once. I will get the cat off as soon as possible and get me a PC5 and a good tuner.
My EIMTS comes on quite often when I am in traffic.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:18 PM
tmigala
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coupe55 Just FYI Power Commander does not have "O2" eliminators yet for the 2010. You can not just unplug them either as our friend Mr. Wizard has advised. Got to wait for the fix on that. I have a friend that is just running the PCV with a 09 power commander generic program until they come out with the eliminators on his 2010 TRI-Glide.

Quick Reply: calif smog & stage 1