Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

stage 1 and SERT

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:30 AM
hd74inca
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stage 1 and SERT

hello,

getting ready to have the stage 1 installed and have been reading on this board about "SERT." not sure what that is and thought the stage 1 consisted of the AC, pipes and ECM download. what else do i need to know? please enlighten me.

thanks,

david
socal

Old 09-13-2009, 10:15 AM
robandlyn
Road Master

"S"creaming "E"agle "R"ace "T"uner
It allows better tunning of the Air/Fuel Ratio
Rob ....

Old 09-13-2009, 12:33 PM
hd74inca
Cruiser

Originally Posted by robandlyn
Rob ....
Hmmmmm, i thought the download to the ECM did this? what does the ECM download do and it sounds like the SERT should improve mpg and maybe the heat issues.

the dealer that sells and installs the stage one, whould they also be able to do the SERT in most cases?

thanks again,

david
socal

Old 09-13-2009, 12:41 PM
azbob09
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by robandlyn
Rob ....
I believe this has now been replaced with the SEST (screaming eagle super tuner) which also requires the Smart tuner software disk on 2010 models.There is further info on this in the 2010 screaming eagle catolog. We are using this on our 2010 TG we'll be picking up in a couple weeks. The dealer said he'll call & let me know how the tuning went???

Old 09-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

What the dealer is doing is a simple flash to your ECM with a canned map that is called "stage 1" by Harley. It doesn't mean it's for your bike but a general resetting of VE (volumetric efficiency) tables to increase the fuel mixtures combined with your AFR's (air fuel ratio) at certain throttle percentages and RPM's. Fine for those who simply want to cool their bike a bit and get a little more seat of the pants power.

The SERT is a little box that goes between a tuning computer and your ECM that allows you to change the above variables and a whole lot more. Dyno turners use this box to read where you are rich or lean so they can make the proper adjustments to the map on your ECM. Once a SERT (or new style SEST) is hooked up to your bike it becomes "married" to your ECM serial number and can NOT be used on any other ECM. Once these electronic adjustments are made you remove the SERT or SEST and put it back in the box to save for the next time you modify your motor.

That will hit the high spots for you, there is a lot more to it.

If you are happy with the canned stage 1 download (reflash) then ride and be safe. If you get into and modify your motor and want the most HP and Torque then you should purchase a SERT or SEST (300 to 450 bucks) and get your bike put on a Dyno or similar testing device and choose a well known person to change your ECM map, about another 250 or more bucks. There are also other fuel management systems on the market that will auto tune your bike no matter what you do to your motor or more simple models without auto tune while others are available that actually replace your ECM and will auto tune your motor.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:02 PM
azbob09
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hd74inca
Hmmmmm, i thought the download to the ECM did this? what does the ECM download do and it sounds like the SERT should improve mpg and maybe the heat issues.

the dealer that sells and installs the stage one, whould they also be able to do the SERT in most cases?

thanks again,

david
socal
The ECM download will only help to a point, depending on the mod's & will still be within HD's EPA required spec's. The SEST should do basically what the the old SERT could do. If the HD tech's are skilled they will be able to alter AFR & timing to improve the performance, mpg & most importantly reduce the engine heat & improve the cooling. At least that's what I'm hoping for on Christine's TG when we get it.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

...btw

If you purchase a SERT or SEST and let your dealer Dyno your motor then don't forget to get your SERT or SEST from them before you leave. A few months ago I asked why my dealer had all these old SERTs on the shelf. He said these are the ones that people have left here... no names on the box or the SERTs... and there were hundreds of them on this shelf and he said there were more in the back in boxes. If someone came in looking for their box it would be like searching for a needle in a hay stack.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:28 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Are the HD dealers set up to dyno a Tri Glide? Or do we need to find a car dyno shop?

Steve

Old 09-13-2009, 01:38 PM
hd74inca
Cruiser

well, i can see why they call you mr. wizzard. that said i think i will go for just the stage 1 at this point. i have been riding in stock form for almost 1000 miles and at the service will also get the stage 1. i would think that after stock form i will notice a change in the power of the trike.

thanks for the info on the SERTS and SEST.

david
socal

Old 09-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by TheBobs
Are the HD dealers set up to dyno a Tri Glide? Or do we need to find a car dyno shop?

Steve
There are some building a third leg on their dyno boxes now due to the TG and XXX. You will need to check with your HD guy and don't forget your local Indy's and trike shops.

I did see an Indy put the left wheel up on a trike and was able to do the tune that way since the trike had positive traction but I don't know if the TG has PT or not.

I've been told, (third hand info) that car dyno's are not the same and the software is different. This would seem logical to me but you never know the ingenuity of others.

Quick Reply: stage 1 and SERT