Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

stage 1 and SERT

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by hd74inca
well, i can see why they call you mr. wizzard. that said i think i will go for just the stage 1 at this point. i have been riding in stock form for almost 1000 miles and at the service will also get the stage 1. i would think that after stock form i will notice a change in the power of the trike.

thanks for the info on the SERTS and SEST.

david
socal
The stage 1 flash will be put on your bike using the "digital technician" at your Harley shop. No SERT or SEST needed for that. Normal price for a flash is 150 bucks. I had one service manager tell me that mother Harley charges the dealership via the digital technician and there was no way they can just flash at will unless it is a stock flash. Stock flash is always free he says. I have no idea if that is true or not... third hand info.

David, the name came from a moderator here after I tuned their bike. Next day it was what it is I guess, kind a stuck after that. I do dyno my trike and bikes but I use equipment that allows me to do it while riding. Seems to be the best way to tune a trike right now.

Most 09 owners have purchased the PCV with auto. Seems to work well.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:40 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
...btw

If you purchase a SERT or SEST and let your dealer Dyno your motor then don't forget to get your SERT or SEST from them before you leave.
another question to ask is do they provide a copy of the as tuned map. Some what I call dishonest dealers and even Indys will tune a bike charge you money and tell you that you can't have the map. Everytime I had a bike tuned I got the map on a CD.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by msocko3
another question to ask is do they provide a copy of the as tuned map. Some what I call dishonest dealers and even Indys will tune a bike charge you money and tell you that you can't have the map. Everytime I had a bike tuned I got the map on a CD.

That's an issue with the SERT and dealers will hold your map hostage as "proprietary information" since it was their equipment and their Dyno guy that made the updated map. I was witness to a guy that bought a bike, had it on the Dyno with his SERT and the map was part of the deal just to hear the Dyno operator raise hell at the customer when he asked for it. That wasn't a good day.

Now, since the SEST is available this is all a moot point. The SERT is "one way" read (computer to the ECM) while the SEST will read the map on your ECM so you can save it on your computer. Guess it's not considered "propriety" anymore. Go 'figger.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:31 PM
robandlyn
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most 09 owners have purchased the PCV with auto. Seems to work well.
Hmmm .... I have the PC3 on my Ultra and had it on Lynn's SG. Next Spring we
will most likely do some heat management to Lynn's 2010 TG (if it ever gets here).
I have not read up on the PCV yet. What is the "with auto" part ?
When we got our PC3 from Jamie at Fuel Moto he had the map installed
or the pipes & A/C that was on the bikes.
Rob ......

Old 09-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by robandlyn
Hmmm .... I have the PC3 on my Ultra and had it on Lynn's SG. Next Spring we
will most likely do some heat management to Lynn's 2010 TG (if it ever gets here).
I have not read up on the PCV yet. What is the "with auto" part ?
When we got our PC3 from Jamie at Fuel Moto he had the map installed
or the pipes & A/C that was on the bikes.
Rob ......
Rob... there have been several products on the market with "auto tune" functions. It will read your actual o2 in the exhaust gases and adjust your map to a preset or self-set AFR then it will adjust the VE table to meet this AFR reading. Some work well but are slow to "learn" while others are a little faster. If you change your motor such as cams you don't have to reset the map as this device will learn the new settings and adjust itself back to the AFR you choose by again changing the VE.

The PCV is an upgrade from the PCIII. It's smaller and has an option for the auto tune. Unfortunately they (the auto tune models) will not fit the 2010's yet. HD changed the o2 sensors to a narrow band 4 wire heated sensor this year and the sensor thread base is smaller. I am not sure if you can machine the o2 bung on the header pipes and weld in the larger size or if you can simply reduce up to the PCV Auto o2 sensor size. However you should be able to still use the PCV on the 2010's without the auto if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 09-13-2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: adding text
Old 09-13-2009, 06:03 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

However you should be able to still use the PCV on the 2010's without the auto if I'm not mistaken.
Last I read they were still waiting for the PCV for the Touring bikes which was expected soon. Since they switched from the AFR to Lambda tables it has caused everyone to catch up. On your earlier post. I didn't realize they changed the SEST to allow you to download the map from the ECM, learn something new every day. From what I've read early on I'm not much of a SEST fan. If I had to choose a tuner I'd go with the TTS.

Last edited by msocko3; 09-13-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by msocko3
Last I read they were still waiting for the PCV for the Touring bikes which was expected soon. Since they switched from the AFR to Lambda tables it has caused everyone to catch up. On your earlier post. I didn't realize they changed the SEST to allow you to download the map from the ECM, learn something new every day. From what I've read early on I'm not much of a SEST fan. If I had to choose a tuner I'd go with the TTS.
thanks for the 2010 correction. I haven't worked on them yet and to be honest with you really don't want to work on anything later than the 09 anymore. Just comes a time to say uncle if you know what I mean. I'll sit back and let the technology come to me for a while.

The TTS is a great product. I think they are a little expensive for my taste though then there is the extra charge for another bike, cables and such but if you can use it on two bikes then two SEST's would be more I guess... not knocking them though. My preference is the SERT and the SEST which basically are identical with only a few exceptions. Yes, you can get your map with the SEST now as it sends data back and forth. The SERT only sent data one way.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:08 PM
hd74inca
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, work with me here as i am an old 74 inch guy and learning as i go along, what is a PCV with auto?

david
socal

Old 09-13-2009, 09:20 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member