Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Hack on a dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 10:13 AM
speedjunkie
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hack on a dyna?

Has anyone put a hack on a dyna? Any pics? How did it work?

I'm considering getting a hack mounted up to my '07 FXDL so I can take wifey and daughter. Obviously something that is fairly quick to detach is a must, as this wouldn't be used on a daily basis.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Old 09-06-2009, 10:49 AM
CouchMaster
Cruiser

You do not quickly put on or detach a sidecar. It's a 3 hour job if you're good at it - more if you are not. The car must be toed in - the bike leaned out and the trail on the forks lessened for easier steering. Unless you want to endanger your family don't do this without careful research first. A sidecar does not drive like a bike but is somewhat akin to an automobile.
This is why motorcycles are dedicated to sidecars and left that way once installed.

Now for the good part - once you install a sidecar and learn to drive it you will love it!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495904

Last edited by CouchMaster; 09-06-2009 at 10:53 AM. Reason: added link for pic
Old 09-06-2009, 11:59 AM
speedjunkie
Road Captain

Originally Posted by CouchMaster
You do not quickly put on or detach a sidecar. It's a 3 hour job if you're good at it - more if you are not.

Really? I thought Motorvation advertised 5 or 10 minute removal? I figured once the mounts were installed, and the links set correctly, it was just removing the bolts and rolling the hack out of the way. I know the initial setup will take awhile, but subsequent should just be r&r the attach bolts. No need to adjust toe in or lean a second time. No?

BTW, NICE rig!

Mike

Old 09-06-2009, 05:00 PM
CouchMaster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by speedjunkie
Really? I thought Motorvation advertised 5 or 10 minute removal? I figured once the mounts were installed, and the links set correctly, it was just removing the bolts and rolling the hack out of the way. I know the initial setup will take awhile, but subsequent should just be r&r the attach bolts. No need to adjust toe in or lean a second time. No?

BTW, NICE rig!

Mike
True - everything comes off much faster than it goes on. It is the attachment that is the critical (and drawn out) part - at least for the safest ride possible. And a new Harley sidecar will set you back about $6000 grand I believe.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:49 PM
speedjunkie
Road Captain

Ah, I think I may have just misunderstood your first post. Yes, I fully expected a good 3-6 hours for initial install. I was referring to quick detach as the subsequent mounts and dismounts.

I know they aren't cheap, and Motorvation seems to be one of the few that makes mounts for the dyna.

Know anything about Velorex? Dauntless stopped selling because Velorex asked them to stop selling them. That seems odd.

Thanks!

Mike