Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Reflector Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:55 AM
krw
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Reflector Removal

I removed the reflectors on the front fork with a hair drier set on high. Rear fender reflector never budged an inch. Any one else tried to remove them?

Old 08-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Reflectors from painted surfaces take a little more time and care. Use low temp on the hair drier just to get the double sided tape soft but don't over heat the paint. Use dental floss behind the reflector pulling back and forth. Once the reflector is off there may be some adhesive left so the use of a common goo-off product will work.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:29 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default just something to think about

Originally Posted by krw
I removed the reflectors on the front fork with a hair drier set on high. Rear fender reflector never budged an inch. Any one else tried to remove them?
I know we all try to customize and even remove stock items to be different. But just think,... by removing those reflectors and some evening the trike may have stalled and happened to end up sideways to oncoming traffic. You just removed the safety fundamentals that the reflectors were designed for.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:52 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by krw
I know that the vehicle must have certain items such as reflectors when the manufacture sells the vehicle in order to comply with DOT requirements!

I am not certain about the legal requirement after the initial sale; however, I suspect that laws and enforcement very from state to state. A while back I attended a vintage car show, a female State Trooper was pulling all of the street-rods entering the show and issuing tickets for such things as improper lights, no windshield wipers, no hoods, loud mufflers, etc. Many of these guys trailed their show cars and unloaded their car in a parking lot across from the event; when they crossed the public highway to enter the show, she would nab them.

I suspect that if so cop wanted to be nit picky; he/she could issue a ticket for not having DOT reflectors.

Now having said that: I lost my amber front defectors when I replaced my stock forks with a chrome front end. I’m looking for a way to install the reflectors and be in compliance without placing them on the nice clean looking chrome fork.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:06 PM
miami
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

I used a really stiff piece of plastic used to take air bubbles from behind window tinting. Remember, by the time they see that reflector it would be too late anyhow.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:26 PM
krw
Tourer

Thanks for the safety concerns, I have been removing these reflectors since I have been riding. I think they look cheap and take away from the good looks of the trike. I bet there is plenty of chrome to reflect back head lights!
Thanks for the tips on removing the reflectors which was the original topic.......

Old 08-25-2009, 12:03 AM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My answer to your question about how to remove reflectors is simple.
All you have to do is want them as mauch as anything, and they will generally fall off.

A riding friend once asked me why I still have the reflectors on my bike.
He added how he had removed all of his reflectors.

I asked, Why?
His reply was that he didn't need anyone telling him what to do.

So, I answered by saying, "I prefer to just ride and ware them off, thanks!"

chappy

Last edited by chappy; 08-25-2009 at 12:08 AM. Reason: spelling "bad"
Old 08-25-2009, 07:52 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by krw
Thanks for the safety concerns, I have been removing these reflectors since I have been riding. I think they look cheap and take away from the good looks of the trike. I bet there is plenty of chrome to reflect back head lights!
Thanks for the tips on removing the reflectors which was the original topic.......
I didnt mean to change your topic. I should have added, that tho the trike I built, doesnt have the side reflectors. I plan on adding them. But not the stock type. I agree that they are a cheap addition and more thought on design to make them flow with the trike is certainly needed. Personally I have planned to add something else. I found LEDs that are small and have a "V" shape to them. They allow you to electrically hook them up to activate with your signals. Where as when their not blinking. They double as reflectors. Tho I wont be placing them front and back. They will be positioned about center. In the blind spot where one cant see the front or rear signal reflectors/lights. This way another vehicle, during the evening hours will see me signaling that I'm changing lanes mainly if their in the same lane I choose to change over to. One more thing I'll add about the stock reflectors. I use to live in rural PA. People in rural areas tend to use reflectors to mark their driveways. So no matter how much chrome you have. To one that's intoxicated, you will look just live a drive way.
zoood/RJ

Old 08-25-2009, 07:58 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

RJ.. put a few dozen paste on reflectors on your fender sides and make a great big frown face with huge orange eyes on the top side!

also, sorry i'm going to miss you and Mike/Penny in the mountains and Thunder but this is my busy season at work...got to get it while I can... maybe another time.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:08 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
RJ.. put a few dozen paste on reflectors on your fender sides and make a great big frown face with huge orange eyes on the top side!

also, sorry i'm going to miss you and Mike/Penny in the mountains and Thunder but this is my busy season at work...got to get it while I can... maybe another time.
Yeah,... I'll bet i can get alot of free reflectors from all those that are removing their stock ones! NOT! lmao.

Quick Reply: Reflector Removal