Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Solution to the burning leg

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009 | 06:11 PM
Ironhorsepilot
|
Road Master
Default Solution to the burning leg

Although I have tall boots I can wear for the heat, I really hate putting them on in the summer. Tonight I took my tri up to the drugstore to get some stuff. It is hot out and my leg was heating up big time. I ride to cool off! LOL! Anyway, I went to the ace bandage display and picked up the self adhering Bandage. I put it on in the parking lot, but it was really long so had to wrap several times. But, my leg was cool! Just got home and cut it in half and put it back on. It is really light weight and isn't hot on my leg. Now I am going to go back to the airport to park my bike. Will let you know how it feels with it only half it's length. I only need it around my calf , not all the way to the knee or down to the ankle. I just love finding solutions!

Old 08-17-2009 | 09:03 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
Although I have tall boots I can wear for the heat, I really hate putting them on in the summer. Tonight I took my tri up to the drugstore to get some stuff. It is hot out and my leg was heating up big time. I ride to cool off! LOL! Anyway, I went to the ace bandage display and picked up the self adhering Bandage. I put it on in the parking lot, but it was really long so had to wrap several times. But, my leg was cool! Just got home and cut it in half and put it back on. It is really light weight and isn't hot on my leg. Now I am going to go back to the airport to park my bike. Will let you know how it feels with it only half it's length. I only need it around my calf , not all the way to the knee or down to the ankle. I just love finding solutions!
Joan, I applaud you for your ingenuity but Ace bandages; is that really a solution to the excessive heat our TG’s are generating? A true solution has to address the source of the heat! Please tell me that as group of TG owners, we are NOT willing to walk around rapped up like mummies so that we can safely enjoy our tirkes without getting cooked to death!

In another thread discussing the trunk leak, someone suggested that as a group of owners we approach MOCO and demand a fix to the trunk leak. I’m in favor of that and will support a group initiative. However, I am more concerned with the heat problem than the leak problem! I have spent well over a thousand dollars trying to reduce my engine oil temps; I managed to reduce them by about 30 degrees, bringing the temps down to about 270 degrees but that is still too hot. No one will ever convince me that this excessive heat is not doing some long term damage to engines. As I said: I will support any group initiative but would also like to incorporate the heat issue.

Ace bandages may be a solution to making us more comfortable but it does not resolve the underlying problem of excessive heat from our engines!

Old 08-18-2009 | 12:09 AM
PopDukes
Cruiser

Yes, I agree Jimer, the biggest issue (other than my breaks) is the heat and oil temp.

I will pt some thought after I pick my bike back up from the dealer tomorrow, again with no direct cause or solution (almost 2 weeks in the shop), and get back here with some ideas.

Old 08-18-2009 | 01:43 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Please tell me that as group of TG owners, we are NOT willing to walk around rapped up like mummies so that we can safely enjoy our tirkes without getting cooked to death!
I'm sure glad I wasn't drinking something while I read this. I would have sprayed it all over the place.... Dang thats funny.

I agree they run hot, my 2010 feels like it runs hotter than my dads 09. We both have the stage 1 and SE slip ons. I know how to solve the problem but I'm not willing to crack into my engine or chance voiding my warranty. I could cool it right down with a set of cams and a tuner but then I could have issues with warranty if something was to happen with the powertrain. We all know why they run so hot and the EPA is mainly the ones to blame. The Moco does own some of the blame also. They should stop building a image and make the dang things function also. The smartest move they could have done would have been to water cool the Touring line or atleast the Trikes.

Old 08-18-2009 | 03:23 AM
Ironhorsepilot
|
Road Master

OK, so we shouldn't have to run around like Mummy's. But, I have read where people sew in ironing board covers in their jeans for Pete's sake. AND these are on regular Harleys, not trikes. It is not only the Trikes. I mean, what do you expect MOCO to do???? I mean seriously. Do you want your money back? New engine? Add a radiator? We have all done things to make it cooler, and it helps just a little, so I don't know what else to do, but to enjoy my TG. Plus, if the engine explodes or whatever because of the heat, i suppose then the MOCO will need to do something and warranty would take care of it and we will have a new engine.

Old 08-18-2009 | 03:23 PM
jackfiss
6th Gear

Anyone using the engine management? Seems to kick in as soon as it comes to temp if you sit at a light. I guess this is a good thing.....

Old 08-18-2009 | 03:36 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jackfiss
Anyone using the engine management? Seems to kick in as soon as it comes to temp if you sit at a light. I guess this is a good thing.....
Sales rep told me that on the '10s, and you are idling in the heat of traffic, you can twist the throttle forward and the rear cylinder will kick off. Once you twist the throttle to give it gas and accelerate, the rear cylinder kicks on again. Same setup on the '09s?

Old 08-18-2009 | 03:49 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member

Buy you a pair of hard leather leggings from All State leathers, come all the way to the knee, look cool and easy on and off. Cost $60

Old 08-18-2009 | 04:32 PM
robandlyn
Road Master

Originally Posted by gunner11
Buy you a pair of hard leather leggings from All State leathers, come all the way to the knee, look cool and easy on and off. Cost $60
Does it come with little pockets to hold the hot dog and bun to cook while you ride ;-)
Sorry ..... I just had too ..... LOL .....
Rob .....

Old 08-18-2009 | 04:47 PM
Baffler1
Road Warrior

There is a difference between a bandaid & a solution !

Quick Reply: Solution to the burning leg