Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Caution: GPS owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009 | 09:23 PM
Mr. Wizard
|
Club Member
Default Caution: GPS owners

If you have a GPS that you plug the factory cable into the cigarette lighter on the fairing you will damage your tank.

GPS factory cables have large fused plug in devices that, when plugged into your cigarette lighter, will scratch or even dent your tank. A Garmon has a voltage regulator built in to the plug in piece on the cord so it is unusually large. If sitting still or turning hard to the left the regulator will be pinched between your inner faring and tank.

Please check yours. I will be adding an accessory plug in inside of my fairing and moving the GPS cable adapter there.

Old 08-14-2009 | 12:58 AM
PopDukes
Cruiser

I installed my TomTom Rider 2 and then recently switched to the Garmin 660 and wired the mount directly to the back of the lighter. My light still works and have had no issues.

Old 08-14-2009 | 04:35 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

I wired my Garmin to the Accessory switch.

Old 08-14-2009 | 06:41 AM
Mr. Wizard
|
Club Member

That's great guys...

....but for those who simply plug it into the fairing cig lighter... the adapter will dent your tank if you turn hard to the left.

Old 08-14-2009 | 10:32 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
I wired my Garmin to the Accessory switch.
That is probably the best and safest way to supply power to an accessory! I vaguely recall seeing a cautionary note in the ’09 Tri-Glide owners’ manual about using the cigarette lighter outlet as a power source for accessories.

Old 08-14-2009 | 11:30 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member

good to know...

Old 08-14-2009 | 12:29 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheJimer
That is probably the best and safest way to supply power to an accessory! I vaguely recall seeing a cautionary note in the ’09 Tri-Glide owners’ manual about using the cigarette lighter outlet as a power source for accessories.
Now I know Why it's in the Owners Manual. Thought they the MC were saying Electrical damage not tank Damage. THANK YOU Mr Wizard for the Heads up. I Never would of thought of that. If I would of dented my tank I would of been SICK and lost at least one nights sleep. I hate when dumb stuff like that happens. Thanks again.

Old 08-14-2009 | 02:44 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by carlo
<quote in-part> Now I know Why it's in the Owners Manual. Thought they the MC were saying Electrical damage not tank Damage. <end quote in-part>
Carlo,

I don’t have my owner’s manual handy because it’s with my bike and my bike is at the dealer (and that’s a whole another story). Maybe someone could pull their book out and see exactly what Harley says about using the lighter outlet to power accessories.

I am under the impression that the concern has to do with electrical safety not denting the tank!?!

Old 08-14-2009 | 02:49 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

I hardwired my Garmin to my ignition switch with an inline fuse.

Attached Thumbnails Caution: GPS owners-img_0367.jpg   Caution: GPS owners-img_0368.jpg  
Old 08-14-2009 | 04:26 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Carlo,

I don’t have my owner’s manual handy because it’s with my bike and my bike is at the dealer (and that’s a whole another story). Maybe someone could pull their book out and see exactly what Harley says about using the lighter outlet to power accessories.

I am under the impression that the concern has to do with electrical safety not denting the tank!?!
On page 56 The lighter is not intended to be used as a power port for electrical devices. Damage to the lighter receptacle may occur. ( It reads nothing about tank damage. But I can definitely see this happening.) Again Thanks to Mr Wizard.

Quick Reply: Caution: GPS owners