Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Thinking about buying a trailer.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:30 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a trailer.

I have decided that I just am going to have to bite the bullet and get a trailer. I have two schools of thought on this subject. I don't have much room at home so a compact fold up open type might be the ticket, but I am concerned about road debris picked up by the truck being hurled at the bike. I suppose some blankets and a cover bungied to the bike might resolve this.

On the other hand, a small enclosed unit would protect the bike during transport and afford a place to lock it up at the destination. Going to Highlands NC on vacation and the ten day forecast says rain two out of five days. Be nice to have a place to get it out of the elements. I could even use it for a small garage at home and just keep the bike in it when I'm not ridin, but then the hassle of getting it in and out all the time.

Any thoughts??

Old 07-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Philt
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine just bought one of these. http://www.kendonusa.com/trailer_index.htm

He really likes it because he can stand it up in the end of his garage. And he hauls 2 motorcycles with a Chryser Mini Van.

But enclosed trailers are nice. And you can haul all the rest of your stuff in there as well. I but a 8x16 ft enclosed. But I haul at least 2 bikes and I am going to sleep in mine. Make sure you get one with the ramp door. So much easier.

Phil

Old 07-16-2009, 05:04 PM
HRLYSG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enclosed. Got one and haven't regreted it. Also comes in handy for moving things during bad weather vs. a open pickup truck or those early season service trips. As for a hassle, mount a condor and no hassles at all.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:11 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
I have decided that I just am going to have to bite the bullet and get a trailer. I have two schools of thought on this subject. I don't have much room at home so a compact fold up open type might be the ticket, but I am concerned about road debris picked up by the truck being hurled at the bike. I suppose some blankets and a cover bungied to the bike might resolve this.

On the other hand, a small enclosed unit would protect the bike during transport and afford a place to lock it up at the destination. Going to Highlands NC on vacation and the ten day forecast says rain two out of five days. Be nice to have a place to get it out of the elements. I could even use it for a small garage at home and just keep the bike in it when I'm not ridin, but then the hassle of getting it in and out all the time.

Any thoughts??
I think you would be very unhappy with covering your bike with a blanket and bungie cords. The blanket would flap on your paint and wear it off.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Harpoonman
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
I have decided that I just am going to have to bite the bullet and get a trailer........Any thoughts??

I have never been the trailering kind of Rider. To me it just seemed to defeat the purpose. I mean...I bought it to ride! But have recently come to a similar decission.. My Iron Butt is softening, and my adventures are getting farther and farther from home.

Originally Posted by Philt
But enclosed trailers are nice. And you can haul all the rest of your stuff in there as well. ......and I am going to sleep in mine. Make sure you get one with the ramp door. So much easier.
Phil
In my research...I have found (IMHO) that 4" drop axles with ramp door...is the way to go. I am leaning toward a "V" nose 8 X 12 single axle, with rear stabilizer jacks. The V nose can give a little more useable space, depending on which brand. But if you go with the enclosed trailer, don't forget about the Height of the door opening !!

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
I think you would be very unhappy with covering your bike with a blanket and bungie cords. The blanket would flap on your paint and wear it off.
+1 on that. The open type trailers with the rock guards, cost almost as much as the totally enclosed.

Good Luck and happy shopping.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:17 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couple of things to consider when buying a trailer.

1. It is great to have lots of room BUT do you have a vehicle big enough to handle the trailer you are about to buy. I have an 8x16 and with a trike and a bike in it, it is one heavy beast. It would pull the crap out of the 1/2 ton I had and I had to trade up to a 3/4 ton to keep it from pushing me down the hills.

2. With a ramp door and a drop rear end, you can easily load your bikes. If they are too high the "breakover" point where the door hinges sometimes will hit the bottom of the bike and this is a bitch when you tear off your kickstand spring. Guess how I know!!!!

3. There is a big difference in the quality of some of the trailers out there. Be sure the floor has a llooonnnngggg warranty. Some are only 3-5 years and some others are 30 years. Do some shopping before you buy.

4. Some trailers have the fenders on the outside and some on the inside. For maximum storage buy one with the inner fenders--adds about 8+ inches inside the trailer.

5. Be sure to add E track inside the trailer or at least a lot of good quality D rings for tie down of your ride.

Enough from me but this is just so thoughts. I'm sure others out there have some experience with buying and using trailers. As for me, I'll never be without one.