Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Anybody on here have a Toy Hauler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Philt
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody on here have a Toy Hauler?

I know guys don't like to talk about trailering their bikes, but I have some health issues and it's a lot easier and more enjoyable if I get to where I want to do some riding instead of wearing myself out getting there. For instance some of us are going to Cody, Wyoming to do some riding for about a week and I plan to trailer out and do a different ride in the area every day.

Anyway, I bought a 8x16 ft enclosed trailer with a ramp door and I am "making it" into a toy hauler of sorts.

I'm just interested in seeing if anybody else has one, and maybe some ideas about doing it? I am going to keep it pretty simple. But at the same time I want it to be comfortable?

So I thought I would check in and see if there is any interest in a thread like this.

Phil

Old 07-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

It's what I do as well...

Grab you some condor front wheel chocks, soft ties, floor mount D rings and wide over sized ratchet straps and your good to go.

Install some hangers and cabinets in the nose for your gear. Install a couple of garage door handles on the roof struts to hang the ratchet straps when not in use.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:58 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Well I do have a trailer and haul sometimes and won't make excuses why .. Is my call my choice my money anyone thinks I am a wimp rider even at 60 years old lets get together and ride and see who's a wimp .. but anyway heres a pic of it ... Can haul 3 motorcycles easily ..

Old 07-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Hey Jay

C and I hauled trailer to Savannah when we met you guys. It's all about enjoyment nothing to do with embarrassment. We trailer boys can go where others can't. Like someplace to sleep when the wife gets pissed ya know?

Old 07-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Wizard....please tell me that is a picture of your dog.

I have two trailers/toy haulers of the very best kind. My two best friends have one and all I have to do is go hook-up when I want one. You see...I have no need to build one as it is a very rare case when both of theirs is in use at the same time. One of the guys even has channels built along both inner walls as well as the floor for those snap-in d-rings, but for the most part, they are equipped about like you described.

A borrowed trailer is the best kind for me. I sold mine because somebody was always borrowing it.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Hey VT

Australian Shepard's (Ausie's) just look like than when they want to play ball which is 24/7. They can be the most crazy dog you can own and the smartest. I hear it's the same look you have when you turn hard on your trike! (hehehe) OK, just kidding...

I've got two trailers here. One is a landscape 7 x 16 and the other is 7 x 14 enclosed. There are three more at the shop but no need to have them all here. People call me up and borrow the landscape trailer all the time but never the enclosed one. Since it has floor mounted wheel chocks it doesn't work very good when moving or hauling junk. The Condor mounts do fold down or you can take them off but I ain't telling.

One thing I didn't do was put a floor something like a checker board or diamond plate floor in the toy hauler but I bet ya a stale doughnut that Jay's trailer has it all.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:14 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have an 8 x 16 ramp door trailer that I bought to haul a trike and my two wheeler.

I had 3 rows of 5 strong D rings put in the floor; 5 down both outside edges and 5 down the middle.

The front has a slight curve to it. I screwed down a 2 x 6 across the complete front about 12 inches from the wall and put a 2 x 4 on the back edge of that. This creates a "CHOCK" for the rear wheels of the trike. I back the trike into the trailer with the rear wheels resting against this wooden chock. After I put in the trike, I can put two 2 wheeler bikes in the trailer side by side facing forward. The front wheels of the bikes overlap the front wheel of the trike slightly. I have Pingle front chocks for all three bikes.

With this many D rings in the floor I can easily tie down the front and rear of all three units.

I agree with a previous response in the fact, "buy oversize heavy tie downs for the front of each trike and bike. I use standard tie straps for the rear of each unit.

We have hauled the trike and bikes to Phoenix from Denver several times with no problems what so ever.

Another item to include in your trailer is to find a place behind the inner fender to store a floor jack. Nothing is worse than laying down in the snow or rain while trying to place a bottle or screw jack under an axle with a flat tire. A floor jack is worth every penny. I never leave home without it.

Another good item to have in the trailer is a good size plastic tool box with a tray. Its great to store soft tie straps, extra tie downs, bolts for you Pingles, etc.

Also buy on extra set of tie down straps and hang inside the trailer in case you ever break one or you need to anchor down luggage or some such to keep it from drifting around the floor and scratching a great paint job.

Be sure the trailer has an air vent in the front and in the rear to remove gasoline fumes in the hot summer time.

Get youself a good tongue lock also that keeps anyone from hooking up to your trailer. I know that a good thief will get it anyway but it keeps the amateurs at bay.

Sorry to go on for so long but this is just the things that experience will teach you.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:46 PM
Philt
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All really great ideas. I am putting down "E-tracks" so that I am not limited to where I put the bikes. It all depends on how many I haul.

I also found a roll around portable Room a/c unit. I plan on using a raise inflatable bed. Like I said, I'm trying to keep it simple.

But you all have given me some good ideas. What do you think is the best way to get electric in the trailer?

Phil

Old 07-15-2009, 04:08 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Havn't put an electric box on mine yet although plans for it in the future ...

Old 07-15-2009, 04:34 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
Well I do have a trailer and haul sometimes and won't make excuses why .. Is my call my choice my money anyone thinks I am a wimp rider even at 60 years old lets get together and ride and see who's a wimp .. but anyway heres a pic of it ... Can haul 3 motorcycles easily ..

Why are you so defensive. No one was attacking you. As you stated, " Is my call my choice my money ".

Quick Reply: Anybody on here have a Toy Hauler?