Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

reverse problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 02:57 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1550vt
I have never had any problem with my reverse. Rain-or-shine mine works every time and there is no way it can go into reverse by accident, or at speed going down the road.
VT, I think a little clarification is necessary for the folks that are not regulars to this site:
#1- You don’t ride a Tri-Glide!
#2- The reason that your reverse works “rain or shine” is because:…
“You Don’t Have No Stink’en Reverse”; you use your feet!

I’m just say’en!

Old 09-06-2009, 05:47 PM
triked
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyder
Aint happened on ours yet and we were in water up to the axle on the way home last weekend in a wicked downpour. Trunk was dry?????????was never before. Anyway we havent had the reverse problem.....yet.
Glad to hear yours hasnt gone into reverse yet. If and when it does as others you will no it.

Do you know if the 010's triglide has an easier pull clutch than the 09's?

Old 09-06-2009, 06:26 PM
robandlyn
Road Master

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Somewhere on this site is how to disengage it but I can't find it. I put it in reverse and tried to back up but it wouldn't back up. I thought I would hit my breakes and kick the circuit breaker.
Is this the thread ?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacke...de-issues.html

Rob ...

Old 09-06-2009, 07:35 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robandlyn
That was not the thread I was thinking about. Thanks.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:19 AM
triked
Banned

After i broke down due to reverse problem, the dealer disconnect unit under the seat by disconnecting a wire from battery and taping it off. I cant remember which major wire it was. I dont have the electrical diagrams to determine which major wire. I was able to use triglide after this change aand i did not worry about the reverse problem. This was done so no more oohhhhhhs.

Maybe someone else in the group has this information.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:31 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by triked
After i broke down due to reverse problem, the dealer disconnect unit under the seat by disconnecting a wire from battery and taping it off. I cant remember which major wire it was. I dont have the electrical diagrams to determine which major wire. I was able to use triglide after this change aand i did not worry about the reverse problem. This was done so no more oohhhhhhs.

They disconnected the main power wire to it. I wouldn't have a problem with that per say except if the tape was to wear through it wouldn't be pretty with a large gage wire going to ground.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:55 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by triked

Triked: Did you ever have the reverse fixed so that it is operational?? Mine goes back to the dealer tomorrow so we'll see what happens. Did your dealer ever give you a reason why it tried to go into reverse??

Old 09-07-2009, 11:01 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by Glyder
Aint happened on ours yet and we were in water up to the axle on the way home last weekend in a wicked downpour. Trunk was dry?????????was never before. Anyway we havent had the reverse problem.....yet.
I hope you are right. I had ridden several times in down pours without an issue. I thought I was not going to have this problem. My problem did not occur while riding in the rain but some time afterwards. I came home from a trip which I rode several days in the rain. I cleaned the TG and it sat for about 6 days before I rode it. My wife and I left the house and within 1/2 mile the reverse tried to engage. Go figure.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CW4_131A
Y'all are making me nervous. The misses is practicing with her brand new out of the box SG Trike, she stops, puts it in Neutral, engages reverse, hits the button, and as soon as she starts backing up the radio comes on.

Odd, so she turns the radio off, does another circle in the parking lot, goes through the same procedure, and sure enough the radio comes on again.

It now happens every time she goes into reverse. At first I thought this was funny, now I'm not laughing. The stealership is getting her trike real soon for a fix.
CW, let us know as soon as you get a fix on that reverse. I'm curious to hear what Patriot's service finds wrong with it.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:32 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CW4_131A
Y'all are making me nervous. The misses is practicing with her brand new out of the box SG Trike, she stops, puts it in Neutral, engages reverse, hits the button, and as soon as she starts backing up the radio comes on.

Odd, so she turns the radio off, does another circle in the parking lot, goes through the same procedure, and sure enough the radio comes on again.

It now happens every time she goes into reverse. At first I thought this was funny, now I'm not laughing. The stealership is getting her trike real soon for a fix.
Maybe that’s Harley’s answer to a “back-up alarm”!

I know it’s not funny when these quirky things happen and makes you ask…
what happened to quality control?

Please let us know what they find.

Quick Reply: reverse problems