Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

reverse problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Flintstone reverse don't need no stinking fuse.. ey barb? LOL

Old 08-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As short as I am, I use the reverse all the time!!! I can't even reach the ground, much less push it back with ten toes!

Old 08-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Glyder
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like if the reverse engages while moving forward at speed it would just rip the gear on the rear and the reverse motor to shreds......ecspecialy since theyd be turning opposote directions. Sorta like when you turn your starter over in the car while its already running...

Old 08-13-2009, 05:13 PM
triked
Banned
Default reverse problem

Originally Posted by Bubba48
I justed experienced the issue with the Tri Glide reverse personally. I was riding down the road in the rain at 55MPH when I heard a high pitched whining coming from the rear end. I slowed down to 35MPH and it went away. I continued on to my driveway (long dirt road) and when I shifted down to first at 10MPH the bike locked into rverse and almost threw me through the windshield. I stopped the reverse motion with the front brake and cut the trike off. I restarted it and rode about 1/4 mile to my garage and parked it. I called the HD dealer and he said he'd call the MOCO because he had never heard of the issue before. I told him I'd seen it on HDForums. I have an appointment tomorrow morning so I'll see what happens. The bad part is I'm on a on a 500 mile road trip at my Uncle's house, so getting home on I-95 is gonna be just wonderful if they can't fix it by Saturday.

How many miles were on the trike when this happened?

Old 08-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Bubba48
4th Gear

I had 5800 miles on it. By the way, that was the last straw, I am now an ex-Tri Glide owner. I traded it for a Soft Tail Deluxe and I love every minute of my riding now. Juts got back from a 500 mile ride and I had no mechanical issues (what a relief it was too).

Old 08-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I had 5800 miles on it. By the way, that was the last straw, I am now an ex-Tri Glide owner. I traded it for a Soft Tail Deluxe and I love every minute of my riding now. Juts got back from a 500 mile ride and I had no mechanical issues (what a relief it was too).
Bubba...

First thing.. I'm sad that you don't trike anymore. The TG is a great ride.

Second thing.. I am very happy that you are in the saddle with your new toy.. way cool. Wifey has a Deluxe and just loves it.

Third... HD is very lucky you didn't get hurt and sue their butts back to the stone age.

With all that said... If you're happy then we are too and very happy that you're OK.

Ride safe...

Old 08-17-2009, 03:41 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
As short as I am, I use the reverse all the time!!! I can't even reach the ground, much less push it back with ten toes!
Im fortunate to be tall and with one leg missing above the knee I can push mine back on a flat surface with my remaining 5 toes and one heel without using reverse

Old 08-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Bubba48
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Bubba...

First thing.. I'm sad that you don't trike anymore. The TG is a great ride.

Second thing.. I am very happy that you are in the saddle with your new toy.. way cool. Wifey has a Deluxe and just loves it.

Third... HD is very lucky you didn't get hurt and sue their butts back to the stone age.

With all that said... If you're happy then we are too and very happy that you're OK.

Ride safe...
Thanks for the thoughts. I bought two Tr-Glides (one for my Uncle and one for myself) and both of them have had serious mechanical issues. My Uncle is considering trading his in on a Fatboy. The ride we took in the mountains around Cherokee convinced us both that we'd rather have something with less issues.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:04 AM
triked
Banned

Thanks for the thoughts. I bought two Tr-Glides (one for my Uncle and one for myself) and both of them have had serious mechanical issues. My Uncle is considering trading his in on a Fatboy. The ride we took in the mountains around Cherokee convinced us both that we'd rather have something with less issues.
II have only had a few issues. Mine have been , reverse, trunk leak,and brakes. The reverse issue on mine happened around 6000 miles!
What issues have you had?
I do like the unit. But to manny issues, and away it goes.

Glad to hear you are riding.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:46 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Happened to me

I just rode my TG down to my Sons house to talk to him for a minute before my better half and I went for a ride. I backed it out of his drive way and started down the rode and it tried to go into reverse. It did not kick the circuit breaker. It made funny noises and I stopped. I had this funny feeling in my stomach what happened.

I tried the reverse and it wouldn't go into reverse. I checked the breaker and it wasn't blown. I rode it back to my house about a 1/2 mile and it was making grinding noises. Called my dealer and they are going to pick it up on Tuesday. Has anyone found out how to disable the reverse so that you could still ride it?? If this had happened on a trip I could live without reverse.

When returning from my last trip 1 week ago I had to ride through alot of rain. It appears after riding through alot of rain is when it will happen.

Quick Reply: reverse problems