Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

reverse problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Cubbear42....tell your husband it must be possible. It just happened to Triked!

Old 06-30-2009, 08:19 PM
PopDukes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 2200 miles so far I have had no reverse issues. As some of you know I did have some serious ones early on. Aside from the heat we all agree with, I have had the rear breaks replaced, oil saturated filter, EXCESSIVE pinging, etc. etc, etc.

Re-mapped engine with new one from Harley last month, rechecked the engine, seals, compression, etc.. Has been running much better since! Will always have some pinging when operating in 90+ degree temps.

Today installed Vance & Hines (Tapered Slash-Cut Slip-ons - 16741), and SE Ventilator. Runs better than ever! Near two times the decibels from original!

Today around 95 (LA Valley), after the pipe install and ventilator, I did not notice any pinging at all.

With the early issues I almost trashed it I was so frustrated, but now have to say it is all good!

Old 07-01-2009, 03:43 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by triked
"Has any one else experienced the triglide trying to go into reverse while going forward? This happened to me.
I was riding in the rain for several days and the unit started to try to go into reverse without any warning"
I road my dads 09 Tri Glide through a monsoon a few weeks back. It was raining so hard cars were pulling to the side of the road, I was pushing some pretty serious water. It never tried to go into reverse and it handled in the water like a champ.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:18 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I spoke to my buddy in Maryland who is a sales mananger at a Harley dealer and told him of this new problem some were having. He told me they had one customers bike whos reverse gear engaged while the customer was riding and now the reverse gear motor is blown. They were waiting on a new motor to replace it with

Old 07-01-2009, 08:09 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did he say how it engaged. Elec short. Or gear got loose and droped in.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:48 PM
triked
Banned
Default reverse problem

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
I spoke to my buddy in Maryland who is a sales mananger at a Harley dealer and told him of this new problem some were having. He told me they had one customers bike whos reverse gear engaged while the customer was riding and now the reverse gear motor is blown. They were waiting on a new motor to replace it with
Tried the water test since hd replaced the rcm under seat. It did not start in reverse or do funny things.

This original issue did happen after 3 days riding in a soaking rain and with covered trike for overnights. Water was the issue.
the trike has passed the soaking test with a hose. this trike the reverse gear motor was not blown only the black box.

Trike had 6500 miles on is at time of reverse issue.

Hd is taking care of the issue.
the point for comment was to1) find out if others had a simular occurances,2) how they were able to shut trike down with safety in mind.

Things can be repaired and replaced but how you handle the situation and knowledge of potential issues may help everyone out of a potentially bad situation.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Bubba48
4th Gear

I justed experienced the issue with the Tri Glide reverse personally. I was riding down the road in the rain at 55MPH when I heard a high pitched whining coming from the rear end. I slowed down to 35MPH and it went away. I continued on to my driveway (long dirt road) and when I shifted down to first at 10MPH the bike locked into rverse and almost threw me through the windshield. I stopped the reverse motion with the front brake and cut the trike off. I restarted it and rode about 1/4 mile to my garage and parked it. I called the HD dealer and he said he'd call the MOCO because he had never heard of the issue before. I told him I'd seen it on HDForums. I have an appointment tomorrow morning so I'll see what happens. The bad part is I'm on a on a 500 mile road trip at my Uncle's house, so getting home on I-95 is gonna be just wonderful if they can't fix it by Saturday.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:47 AM
robandlyn
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bubba48
The bad part is I'm on a on a 500 mile road trip at my Uncle's house, so getting home on I-95 is gonna be just wonderful if they can't fix it by Saturday.
Can't you just disable the reverse until you get home ?
Like pull a fuse or something ?
Rob .....

Old 08-12-2009, 10:57 AM
triked
Banned
Default reverse problem-bubba

When i had problem. it is possible to disengage reverese system. Your dealer can do it. this does not have any a=effect on the other functions.

Hope you are okay. At least i was not alone. If the problem is thecontrol module under the seat. email me. I know where there is one.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:39 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by robandlyn
Can't you just disable the reverse until you get home ?
Like pull a fuse or something ?
Rob .....
Beat to it....I was going to suggest the same thing. Just how many times is reverse absolutely necessary....just watch where you park. I can back mine up with ten toes!

Quick Reply: reverse problems