Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

reverse problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 12:02 AM
cubbear42
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 1550vt
snip...
The buying public don't need fly-by-wire throttles, engine management systems that kill the spark to both plugs alternately if it gets too hot, a leaking trunk, 300-degree oil temperatures, top speeds of 65mph, squealing brakes and now a reverse that can possibly get somebody killed.
snip...
Guess you would have to read the various posts regarding some of the above I've written about... Some of it was from 'operator error' with the TriGlide (6th gear); didn't know what material (better/thinner) was used for the TriGlide brakes...

First, my hubby says you can't have the TriGlide go into reverse when you are riding forward at 35MPH - it won't happen...

We have no problem with what you're stating: "fly-by-wire throttles, engine management systems that kill the spark to both plugs alternately if it gets too hot; (yes, sometimes on leaking trunk); 300-degree oil temperatures, top speeds of 65mph (you gotta be kidding me on that one); (squealing brakes - I wrote about why they squeal and how they are made); and the 'reverse' as you stated, no...

Since first week of January, '09 we have over 13,600 miles on this TriGlide - yes, we love it too...

Last edited by cubbear42; 06-28-2009 at 12:08 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 06-28-2009, 05:53 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Cubbear! I am very protective of my tg and believe most of our new model year issues are minor. You guys are the ones on here that have put the trike to the real test. I have no idea what fly-by-wire throttle issues are. I just know if any of these things happen to the trike, at least it is under warranty. VT, you have had your problems with your trike, also.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:53 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I had considered getting some TG tank emblems to go on my FLH/Lehman conversion, but not now. I don't want anybody to even remotely suspect that I gave $35,000 for one.
You must have bought stuff at fire sale prices. I was considering buying another 06 Ultra and doing a trike conversion on it. After pricing out the engine work I wanted to do and then the trike conversion I would have had at least $35k in it.

The reverse issue on the TG I think is isolated to just the one, I'm betting its a solenoid that is shorting and causing reverse to activate.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:06 AM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Okay folks, I know I sounded like I was Harley-bashing, but I don't ride a Honda. I have been a die-hard Harley man since my first 1986 Softail and a Harley is all I will ever own....period. I understand Harley pride, but I have paid my dues over the past 23 years and have earned an opinion too. I sincerely hope they do work out the issues with the TG. My point was, systems have been out there operable in other markets for years and there is just no reason why a company as large as HD has to try and reinvent the wheel. I come from the old-school and when your harley broke down on the road, you could usually get it running again with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver. I realize those days are gone and I just hate to see them go.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Go to your room VT... you've been a bad boy.

I know it's tough finding and fixing all these issues. I don't have 32k in my trike, I have lots and lots more invested. When I purchased any of my HD bikes there were warranty items to be fixed, build issues to modify and tempers to cool.

Think of it this way...The chrome tax is more than just purchasing a shinny. It has to be installed. There is little difference between the chrome tax and a build issue being that it takes time to get it exactly the way you want it or needed it. Not everyone buys the same chrome and not everyone needs their trike to perform like the next guy but we all stand together in wanting them to be safe, worry free as much as possible and enjoyable.

Ok, just running off at the mouth here. VT, you can come back out now, time served.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:40 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to have my 06 Ultra triked. I had a price quote for a DFT Conversion which was 18,000 and that did not include reverse, steering stabilizer, or easy steer. If you added those items into the equation it would have cost about 21 big ones. I already had 21 big ones just in the cost of the Ultra, you do the math. With all the extras I have on my Tri Glide I have ahout 40 big ones in it ( I quit counting ). Lots of folks on this board have major dollars invested. My only complaint is the leaking trunk and heat issue. I will take care of the heat issue and HD can fix the trunk or any other problem that comes up. I certainly do like it.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Reksul.......thanks for letting me out of the penalty box. We do get carried away sometimes on these forums and I am one of the biggest loud-mouths on here. I love my wife (and I think she loves me too), but we have differences-of-opinion all the time. I have had her for 42-years and we have been through a lot together. She has broken down more than once and I have had to get her fixed, but I am not about ready to change wife-models and it's the same with my beloved Harley Davidsons.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:20 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Reksul.......thanks for letting me out of the penalty box. We do get carried away sometimes on these forums and I am one of the biggest loud-mouths on here. I love my wife (and I think she loves me too), but we have differences-of-opinion all the time. I have had her for 42-years and we have been through a lot together. She has broken down more than once and I have had to get her fixed, but I am not about ready to change wife-models and it's the same with my beloved Harley Davidsons.
There are several of us that can get porky if the right buttons are pushed. All is good.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Glyder
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going into reverse at speed sure would tear up that gear on the pulley and the reverse motor.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:17 PM
triked
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reverse

"Has any one else experienced the triglide trying to go into reverse while going forward? This happened to me.
I was riding in the rain for several days and the unit started to try to go into reverse without any warning"

This TG and one other persons in the midwest did try to go into reverse while going forward. This reverse unit set up has a spring loaded actuator that was trying to getinto the gear side while going 35 mph the actuator tried to push the gear drive motor gear into the main reverse gear. thus the pattern on the main gear was varied. It sounded like a grinding wheel on metal. It would not fully enganged until stopped in neutral. then the unit started to backing up down the road. this was overridden by holding in the brakes to pop the circuit. However applying the brakes to stop in gears had no effect on shutting down the electric motor. there was no lights on the hand controls at all.

The situation above did also occur at the repairing Hd dealer.These two cases may be isolated.

Something did short out in the rain.
so far hd replaced the rcm under the seat. the actuator had an issue and was replaced. The ultimate test is the water test. This is next weekend.

We even took pictures of the gears with the damage.

Quick Reply: reverse problems