Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

reverse problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 06:37 AM
ON-3
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A friend of mine has a Motor Trike conversion, he shifts into 1st. then down one more click to reverse. Don't know whose reverse set-up it is, but it seems to work just fine.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:46 AM
triked
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reverse problem

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Have you talked to your dealer or HD Customer Service about this problem. That is not a good thing to happen. We must be going through the first year build problems. Just think, they haven't been able to fix the leak problems in the trunk seal so what will they do with a serious problem such as what happened to you.
Yes I talked with customer service and dealer is working accordingly. I have found out that there was one another person that had the same situation and had broken down the same day in another part of the midwest.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:51 AM
triked
Banned

Originally Posted by carlo
I read yea hind sight being 20/20 If it were possible to of ordered my Tri with out elec reverse. And if the Champion reverse is a reliable setup I would of went for it. The Elec reverse is a pain to use pulls a lot of juice from the battery and can trip the breaker. Is the Champion reverse easy to get in and out of reverse ? any one have first hand experance using the Champion set up ?
Baker also makes a reverse. I dont know if it would fit the transmission or not?

Old 06-26-2009, 06:55 AM
lzski326
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carlo
I read yea hind sight being 20/20 If it were possible to of ordered my Tri with out elec reverse. And if the Champion reverse is a reliable setup I would of went for it. The Elec reverse is a pain to use pulls a lot of juice from the battery and can trip the breaker. Is the Champion reverse easy to get in and out of reverse ? any one have first hand experance using the Champion set up ?
I tried to order mine without reverse but they couldn't get one that way. I had a Champion reverse on my DFT and I loved it. The champion worked fine, you just had to be careful engaging it, it would clunk real hard if you let the clutch out while in neutral then pulled it in to go in reverse. You need to have the bike in first then pull the clutch in and go to neutral and then reverse. That way the gears wouldn't be free wheeling in there. My opinion of the Triglide reverse is that, it is a mickie mouse setup like a golf cart, just my opinion. I will change mine to the Champion as soon as I get the funds. Also Baker makes one that you use the regular shift lever, I need to price that one out.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:04 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lzski326
I tried to order mine without reverse but they couldn't get one that way. I had a Champion reverse on my DFT and I loved it. The champion worked fine, you just had to be careful engaging it, it would clunk real hard if you let the clutch out while in neutral then pulled it in to go in reverse. You need to have the bike in first then pull the clutch in and go to neutral and then reverse. That way the gears wouldn't be free wheeling in there. My opinion of the Triglide reverse is that, it is a mickie mouse setup like a golf cart, just my opinion. I will change mine to the Champion as soon as I get the funds. Also Baker makes one that you use the regular shift lever, I need to price that one out.
Thanks for the info. I agree the Elec reverse on the Tri Reminds me of when my Daughters had there elec battery powered pink Barbie Cars.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I am sure Harley tried this elecrtic motor reverse as an add-on to dressers before and never could seem to get it to work properly, or be problem free. I suppose they don't throw any bad idea away and stuck it on the TG. More 1st. year model growing pains.

I have never had, or needed a reverse on my trike. I realize they are very handy and a must for some people, but I park it like I always parked my 2-wheelers....just be careful and put it in a spot that you can get out of. I have also discovered that a trike is easier to push backwards with your feet while on the seat than a 2-wheeler. I know this dosen't work for small-bodied people and those with infirmities (and I have a few myself), but if you don't need it, don't spend the money to add it and possibly install an expensive piece of junk that could get you hurt or destroy itself on it's own accord.

People ask me all the time "do you have a reverse in that thing". I tell them yes....and point to my little wife on the back seat!

Old 06-27-2009, 11:01 AM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 413 Likes on 220 Posts

After putting quite a few miles on my wife's TG, I would have ordered it with out reverse if it were for me. The wife loves it.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:14 PM
RVTriker
Novice

I've had Champion reverse on my 98 EG for two years. Works just fine. Hung it up once when I forgot to take out of reverse and put it in first. A little rocking and I was able to get back to neutral. Mine is a little close to the pipes and I get a wake up call now and then but mechanically it works very good.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Well...you have your manual models which have been around for a while and as far as I know, are pretty reliable. They just bolt on the end of the transmission and the only way you can make it go in reverse is to simply reach down and move the handle. Then...you have your HD model consisting of some extra wiring, fuses, circuit breakers, another electric motor, some gears and various other moving parts. HD has hired way too many engineers when they ought to be sticking to the basics that got them where they are. The buying public don't need fly-by-wire throttles, engine management systems that kill the spark to both plugs alternately if it gets too hot, a leaking trunk, 300-degree oil temperatures, top speeds of 65mph, squealing brakes and now a reverse that can possibly get somebody killed.

I had considered getting some TG tank emblems to go on my FLH/Lehman conversion, but not now. I don't want anybody to even remotely suspect that I gave $35,000 for one.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:18 PM
v2plus15
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1550vt
Well...you have your manual models which have been around for a while and as far as I know, are pretty reliable. They just bolt on the end of the transmission and the only way you can make it go in reverse is to simply reach down and move the handle. Then...you have your HD model consisting of some extra wiring, fuses, circuit breakers, another electric motor, some gears and various other moving parts. HD has hired way too many engineers when they ought to be sticking to the basics that got them where they are. The buying public don't need fly-by-wire throttles, engine management systems that kill the spark to both plugs alternately if it gets too hot, a leaking trunk, 300-degree oil temperatures, top speeds of 65mph, squealing brakes and now a reverse that can possibly get somebody killed.

I had considered getting some TG tank emblems to go on my FLH/Lehman conversion, but not now. I don't want anybody to even remotely suspect that I gave $35,000 for one.
I have a 2009 Tri Glide and have none of those problems listed, except the leaky trunk, which will be fixed under warranty. I'll also bet you have almost the $32,000 I gave for my brand new Tri Glide, in your FLH/Lehman conversion.

Quick Reply: reverse problems