Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trike Heat

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 02:57 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trike Heat

I went for a long ride and it was 98 degrees out yesterday. I noticed on my 93 EGC trike. right above the starter. There's an opening in the frame. Allot of hot air from the engine enters that and heats the hell out of my seat. I just rerouted the wires for the battery and am in the process of making a plate to block that opening. I also noticed yesterday when it was 98 degrees. With a trike body. The heat that flows off the engine, hits the body just behind where the passengers feet are. It doesnt get trapped there, but is extremely concentrated in that area while it rises and then the back draft brings it forward. Then it continuously adds to the heat again. Be great for winter riding. Im now planning out scoops that will take this heat down and out under the body. When I'm done I think the scoops will look like jet intakes like on an A-7 I think. lol

zoood

Old 06-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes....air flow stinks over these trikes. Take off your front lowers if you have not already done that and the deflectors on both sides of the fairing too. Look at the covers on the right and left side just under your seat. I don't know how your kit is made, but I have covers on each side that snap off and then another larger cover that blends the fenders into the frame on each side. That may give you enough space to see if it would do any good. I just don't ride in this very hot weather unless I get caught in it.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:20 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Nah, Im gonna make universal scoops. First mine will be the prototype. Ill even incorporate flaps in the vents, to close for cold weather riding. Mines a custom. I built it. I figured there would be problems with the tri-glides and I'd be ahead of the game with new products. But thanks for the advise. Im keeping my lowers on. Ive bose speakers in there. I made covers for the gaps between the body and the scoot. But I'll be modifying those as well. I picked up another body, just like the one on the trike. Its almost finished and will be my matching trailer. I dont wanna go down the road looking like I'm being chased by a really big egg Mc Muffin container. lol

zoood

Originally Posted by 1550vt
Yes....air flow stinks over these trikes. Take off your front lowers if you have not already done that and the deflectors on both sides of the fairing too. Look at the covers on the right and left side just under your seat. I don't know how your kit is made, but I have covers on each side that snap off and then another larger cover that blends the fenders into the frame on each side. That may give you enough space to see if it would do any good. I just don't ride in this very hot weather unless I get caught in it.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:47 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor

I'm almost finished with the prototype scoops. I removed my heat deflectors and the bikes side covers. I made the scoops with the heat deflectors incorporated in them. Their also covered with vinyl, matching the seat.

Tomorrow afternoon,... I'll try em out and post the results.
RJ

Originally Posted by 1550vt

Old 06-30-2009, 09:08 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Default Prototype trike heat deflectors

Well,... I made a set for the trike. Took it for a ride and no more swamp butt!
No more heat coming up and cooking us.
The real test will be on the 4th.

Here's some pictures of what they look like. I will be making a newer set. These pictured are just for testing. Though it's pictured only of the left side. The new deflectors are on both sides of the trike.

RJ

They funnel the heat off the engine back through and under the body while moving and the beginning of these deflectors are the original heat deflector shape for while standing in traffic.