Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Letter To H.D Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:00 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Letter To H.D Customer Service

The following is a letter that I am sending to Harley-Davidson Customer Service and President and Chief Operating Officer Mr. James A. McCaslin. I have been meaning to do this for some time and I kept putting it off. However, today when I read that a H.D customer service representative told a TG owner that 300 degrees oil temp.is “normal”; I instantly smelled cover-up and decided to send a letter. If you agree that these issues need to be addressed, I suggest that you send a similar letter!

Jim
Via U.S. Certified Mail; Return Receipt Requested: # 7007 2680 0002 7522 5968

June 10, 2009

Attn: Customer Service Department
Harley-Davidson Motor Company
3700 W. Juneau Ave.
Milwaukee, WI53208

Re: Tri-Glide Quality Control Issues; Serial No. _________________

Customer Service,

I am writing to formally express my dissatisfaction in the quality of the 2009 FLHTCUTG Tri-Glide. This is my Fifth (5th.) Harley-Davidson product and it certainly does not reflect the level of quality that I am accustom to in Harley products! I believe that there are some serious quality control issues either at the Harley and/or Lehman facility that need to be addressed. Failure to address these issues could tarnish the Harley brand.

The following is a list of some of the problems I have experienced in the three (3) months since I have owned my Tri-Glide:
  • Leaking Trunk
  • Engine Running Extremely Hot
  • Engine Pinging
  • Loose Muffler Clamps
  • Muffler Brackets Installed Upside Down (left “U” bracket facing down-right “U” bracket facing up; obviously, one side is incorrect)
  • Loose Bolts
  • License Plate Bracket Crooked (this problem is so pervasive that even the two Tri-Glide’s featured in the H.D. “Product Orientation Video” have a crooked license plate bracket)
  • Squeaking Rear Brakes
  • Rear Brakes That Appear To Be Marginally Adequate For The Load

These problems are not unique to my Tri-Glide, they are indicative of just “SOME” of the problems “ALL” Tri-Glide owners are experiencing! I encourage you to monitor the HDForums.com “Hacked, Triked and Trailing” forum and familiarize yourself with the quality issues approximately forty (40) other Tri-Glide owners are experiencing. In addition to the above, you will see such issues as:
  • Parking brake lever falling off while going down the road
  • Shift linkage falling off
  • Rear brakes being replace at 8 and 12 thousand miles (dealers dismissing this as normal wear)
  • Dealers not properly trained and unfamiliar with the Tri-Glide
  • Customer Service dismissing excessive engine heat issues and telling customers that 300 degree oil temperatures is “perfectly normal”,

A crooked License Plate Bracket is a minor problem but I believe that some of these minor deficiencies along with more infuriating problems such as “Leaking Trunks” have become a metaphor for what is wrong at H.D and the obvious lack of pride in the workmanship and quality control! I have been a repeat customer of Harley-Davidson because I have always believed that; if there were ever a problem, H.D would rectify it. However, when I hear of highly placed Customer Service representatives dismissing serious heat issues as being “normal”, I begin to wonder and the words “cover-up” and Lemon Law come to mind! I dread the thought of another great American company being destroyed by the “Bean Counters” who are only interested immediate success and not concerned that type of dismissive attitude could affect long term public relations and eventually future profitability!

Sincerely,

cc: James A. McCaslin, President and chief Operating Officer

Old 06-10-2009, 10:10 PM
PopDukes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done young Man. Let's see if you get a legitimate response?

Best of luck.

As I travel extensively, my time on the bike is limited. But as you have seen I have had MANY issues including 100% as you have written. Brakes replaced at 1500 miles, etc.

When I get back from this next two week trip I too will write a letter!

Old 06-11-2009, 12:25 AM
cubbear42
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by PopDukes
[snipped data...
Brakes replaced at 1500 miles, etc
snipped data....
Stupid question but why did you need to replace your brakes at 1500 miles...??

Old 06-11-2009, 12:40 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And tell them to take those dam big *** brake lights off the rear fenders and put something different back there.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:01 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They use those big azz brake lights to conform with HD styling. I mean they have em already. Plus, they do that so individuals as yourself will purchase accessories to change them out.
I on the other hand, have a different body that I made work on my build and since my rear fenders flair out. I used/incorporated 1937 Ford tail lights on mine.

RJ

Originally Posted by OhioSkully
And tell them to take those dam big *** brake lights off the rear fenders and put something different back there.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:49 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJimer
The following is a letter that I am sending to Harley-Davidson Customer Service and President and Chief Operating Officer Mr. James A. McCaslin.
Good job, I think every one with these issues should write them something to voice their concerns. Quality control is a big problem as of late. Not sure if Lehman is painting the back half or HD, either way the clear coat seems soft and marks very easy compared to the front half of the bike [Tank, Fender and lowers] and the base coat paint is splotchy. I have also felt that HD may have some minor issues with a new model or design that would be taken care of in short order without hassle. These issues with the Tri Glide seem to be more painful to get taken care of than they should be. Seems like HD figures people should over look poor workmanship and design because they have the privilege of owning a HD.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:45 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Good job, Jim.

My TG is in the shop for 1K service and replacement of the trunk seal and latches. Suppose to be ready today.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:18 AM
ON-3
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great letter! It will be interesting to see what kind of response you receive.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:41 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJimer
The following is a letter that I am sending to Harley-Davidson Customer Service and President and Chief Operating Officer Mr. James A. McCaslin. I have been meaning to do this for some time and I kept putting it off. However, today when I read that a H.D customer service representative told a TG owner that 300 degrees oil temp.is “normal”; I instantly smelled cover-up and decided to send a letter. If you agree that these issues need to be addressed, I suggest that you send a similar letter!

Jim
Via U.S. Certified Mail; Return Receipt Requested: # 7007 2680 0002 7522 5968

June 10, 2009

Attn: Customer Service Department
Harley-Davidson Motor Company
3700 W. Juneau Ave.
Milwaukee, WI53208

Re: Tri-Glide Quality Control Issues; Serial No. _________________

Customer Service,

I am writing to formally express my dissatisfaction in the quality of the 2009 FLHTCUTG Tri-Glide. This is my Fifth (5th.) Harley-Davidson product and it certainly does not reflect the level of quality that I am accustom to in Harley products! I believe that there are some serious quality control issues either at the Harley and/or Lehman facility that need to be addressed. Failure to address these issues could tarnish the Harley brand.

The following is a list of some of the problems I have experienced in the three (3) months since I have owned my Tri-Glide:
  • Leaking Trunk
  • Engine Running Extremely Hot
  • Engine Pinging
  • Loose Muffler Clamps
  • Muffler Brackets Installed Upside Down (left “U” bracket facing down-right “U” bracket facing up; obviously, one side is incorrect)
  • Loose Bolts
  • License Plate Bracket Crooked (this problem is so pervasive that even the two Tri-Glide’s featured in the H.D. “Product Orientation Video” have a crooked license plate bracket)
  • Squeaking Rear Brakes
  • Rear Brakes That Appear To Be Marginally Adequate For The Load

These problems are not unique to my Tri-Glide, they are indicative of just “SOME” of the problems “ALL” Tri-Glide owners are experiencing! I encourage you to monitor the HDForums.com “Hacked, Triked and Trailing” forum and familiarize yourself with the quality issues approximately forty (40) other Tri-Glide owners are experiencing. In addition to the above, you will see such issues as:
  • Parking brake lever falling off while going down the road
  • Shift linkage falling off
  • Rear brakes being replace at 8 and 12 thousand miles (dealers dismissing this as normal wear)
  • Dealers not properly trained and unfamiliar with the Tri-Glide
  • Customer Service dismissing excessive engine heat issues and telling customers that 300 degree oil temperatures is “perfectly normal”,
A crooked License Plate Bracket is a minor problem but I believe that some of these minor deficiencies along with more infuriating problems such as “Leaking Trunks” have become a metaphor for what is wrong at H.D and the obvious lack of pride in the workmanship and quality control! I have been a repeat customer of Harley-Davidson because I have always believed that; if there were ever a problem, H.D would rectify it. However, when I hear of highly placed Customer Service representatives dismissing serious heat issues as being “normal”, I begin to wonder and the words “cover-up” and Lemon Law come to mind! I dread the thought of another great American company being destroyed by the “Bean Counters” who are only interested immediate success and not concerned that type of dismissive attitude could affect long term public relations and eventually future profitability!

Sincerely,

cc: James A. McCaslin, President and chief Operating Officer
Update, July 6, 2009
I received a call today from Heidi at H.D customer service, actually this is the third (3rd.) call in response to my June 10th. letter.

Heidi said that she talked to her technical people about the complaints in my letter, namely the engine running hot issue and the leaking trunk.

Running Hot: At least this time she admitted that the newer engines do run a little hotter than the older models (in our previous conversation she claimed that this was the first they are hearing of the running hot issue) but basically said that it going to very from region to region based upon ambient temperatures and that there was nothing that they could do about it.

I was not pleased with the answer but as I said, at least they are being a little more forthright this time!

Leaking Trunk: Heidi said that they are very aware and concerned about the problem and are working on a solution which they hope to have completed very shortly. She did not know what the solution consist of or when it will be released. She admitted that they had two previous remedies which did not work; therefore, they are very sensitive about releasing a third remedy until they are absolutely certain that it will work.

She said that she expects to have some additional information on the trunk problem next week and will call and give me an update.

As soon as I know more, I will pass it along.

Stay safe out there!!!!

Jim

Old 07-06-2009, 09:07 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Jimer,

Washed the TG last night and no trunk leaks...had seals and locks replaced couple weeks ago.

Quick Reply: Letter To H.D Customer Service