Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

How Hot Do You Run?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009 | 08:02 PM
TheJimer
|
Road Warrior
Default How Hot Do You Run?

Do you know what your oil temps. are? I have changed out the mufflers (V&H Slip-ons), installed a Stage 1, had remapping and use 20W50 synthetic. I do not have any pigging; however, the 103 runs very hot.

On two consecutive 144 mile round trips with the OAT indicating 85 degrees on the outbound legs, the oil temp. gauge indicated 264 degrees both days. On the return legs (same route); the OAT indicated 102-105 degrees with an oil temp. reading of 298 degrees both days.

I was considering installing a Parade Fan but am now rethinking that because the above trip was all two lane and interstate with speeds ranging from 45-80mph and no stop and go! My reasoning tells me that at those type of speeds a parade fan would not provide much additional cooling to be meaningful.

All input will be deeply appreciated!

Jim

Old 05-30-2009 | 08:23 PM
bdn56
Road Captain

I have not checked mine but I would guess it's about the same.

I will have that changed next weekend with new SEST and a good tune up by Mr. Wizard.

Who did your remapping? I haven't had good luck with the dealer remap. They can only do so much legally.

Old 05-31-2009 | 06:02 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheJimer
I was considering installing a Parade Fan but am now rethinking that because the above trip was all two lane and interstate with speeds ranging from 45-80mph and no stop and go! My reasoning tells me that at those type of speeds a parade fan would not provide much additional cooling to be meaningful.
You right the parade fan wouldn't help in this case. The only real ways to get rid of heat is a tuner such as the SEST, TTS etc. That will go a long way at helping.

Old 05-31-2009 | 05:33 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior

I rode back last week from Maryland in the rain till Richmond my oil temps were 180 or lower ( with soft lowers on, outside air temp at start of my trip was 55 by the time I was halfway in North Carolina it was 80 and my oil temp oil temp got to 230). I stopped for gas and removed the soft lowers and the oil temp went back to 200-210 the rest of the trip home

I do have the premium oil cooler installed and run 20/50 Amsoil synthetic. Also I have the Power Comander 5 which has the AFRs lowered to give the engine more fuel so its not running so lean. My average fuel mileage is 38 doing highway speeds ( or little faster )

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 05-31-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-31-2009 | 09:05 PM
JSH
Advanced

With bike mileage at about 50 rode toward OBX. Ran with cruse locked at 70. Ran about 30 minutes. Late afternoon ... temps low to mid 80. Digital Oil temp gage reached 260 plus. Stopped at rest area about 30 minutes. Noticed the lower flairing vents were half open. Opened the all the way. Backtracked same road this time cruse locked at 60. Temp evened out at 250. Stopped for fuel. Rode 20 miles to home this time cruse locked at 55 temp topped out at 240.

Hope to have 800 - 1000 miles before June 13 so service can be done at purchased dealer. Will put in Amsoil 20w 50 in crank and Amsoil 75w 110 severe gear in trans. I run PC5 with Screaming Eagle AC.

Motor heat not a problem on legs as am able to adjust bat wings for more air flow to cylinders

appears to have stress fracture on windshield at one screw. Will talk to dealer on windshield replacement.

Old 06-01-2009 | 05:42 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

How do you adjust the bat wing air shields for more air? Thanks.

Old 06-01-2009 | 06:24 AM
bdn56
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
How do you adjust the bat wing air shields for more air? Thanks.
Ironhorsepilot, the wind deflectors on the outside edge of the fairing will make a big difference on temp at highway speeds if you have them open. I believe the adjustable wind deflectors are stock on the 08 and newer?

It was 91 degrees yesterday so I opened the adjustable shields. This made a significant improvement on the temperature and rider comfort.

You feel a lot more wind.

I always have the lower fairing vents open.

Last edited by bdn56; 06-01-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-01-2009 | 11:31 AM
tririder
Advanced
Default Oil temp gauge

Can anyone tell me where to get a digital or analog oil temp gauge for my tri glide? Part #? Do they mount on the fairing on on the dipstick?
Thank you!

Old 06-01-2009 | 11:53 AM
Milan
Banned

A oil cooler and my Oil Cooler Fan Kit will will help alot in keeping the oil temp down especially in traffic.
Milan

Old 06-01-2009 | 02:59 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior

Tririder quote >> Can anyone tell me where to get a digital or analog oil temp gauge for my tri glide? Part #? Do they mount on the fairing on on the dipstick?
Thank you!

The dipstick version is one way, but you cant see the temps when riding

The Harley oil temp gauge can be found in the parts book or online at Harleys website. You will need to get one that matches your gauge face color. To install it, you will need to remove the fairing and the air temp gauge in the inner fairing.

Heres a post from a forum member who very knowlegable about Harley parts >>

The new rendition is an "A" at the end of the pn# so the black face gauge would be 75265-04A. The sending unit itself is still 72357-04, but the kit now includes the 3/8 NPT external thread-1/8 NPT internal thread adapter

The sending unit and adapter will have to be screwed into the front of the oil pan in the center. There is a large allen socketed bolt that you have to remove to install the adapter and sending unit Do Not use thread sealant in the either the adapter or the sending unit screwing it into the oil pan. It will cause false readings from the sending unit to the gauge. The adapter and sending unit are brass and tapered to fit tight so they wont leak

Make sure you take your time routing the wires to the sending unit from the gauge. I routed mine under the fuel tank under the seat pan and down under the bike. There wasnt much slack left, that is why I say take your time doing this.

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 06-01-2009 at 03:02 PM.

Quick Reply: How Hot Do You Run?