Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

How Hot Do You Run?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009 | 04:06 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

I have looked at those vents and see no way to open them???? What am I missing??

Old 06-01-2009 | 09:06 PM
TheJimer
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tririder
Can anyone tell me where to get a digital or analog oil temp gauge for my tri glide? Part #? Do they mount on the fairing on on the dipstick?
Thank you!
tririder,
I have a Digital Oil Temp./Oil Level Dipstick Gauge ( Harley P/N 63004-09); a lot of people will tell to go with the Analog Dipstick Gauge or replace the Outside Air Temp. (OAT) gauge with an Oil Temp. Gauge. I was NOT willing to sacrifice my OAT for an Oil Temp. Gauge! I believe that you need BOTH an OAT & Oil Temp. reading to get an accurate picture!

As to reliability of the dipstick gauge; I am told that the new ones are much improved and that they are as dependable as the Analog style and besides; I like the idea of being able to check the oil level without handling the hot dipstick!

Jim

Old 06-01-2009 | 09:20 PM
triglide1
Cruiser

Jim,
I was told by my dealer that the Oil Level and Temperature Dipstick Part #63004-09 would not read correctly on the Tri-Glide. I really miss having one. I was use to it since I always had it on my Ultra before I got my Tri-Glide. Does it read right on yours?

Old 06-01-2009 | 11:45 PM
TheJimer
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by triglide1
Jim,
I was told by my dealer that the Oil Level and Temperature Dipstick Part #63004-09 would not read correctly on the Tri-Glide. I really miss having one. I was use to it since I always had it on my Ultra before I got my Tri-Glide. Does it read right on yours?
triglide,
I don’t know why it would work on the 2-wheel Ultra and not the Tri-Glide? I checked it with a meat thermometer and they were within a couple of degrees of each other! Besides, the Harley parts book does NOT exclude the Tri-Glide; it states: "63004-09 Fits ’07-later Touring models (except models equipped with a sidecar)"! Maybe he thinks that a Tri-Glide is a sidecar?

I have only had it a couple of weeks but so far I am pleased!

Jim

Old 06-02-2009 | 03:36 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheJimer
triglide,
I don’t know why it would work on the 2-wheel Ultra and not the Tri-Glide? I checked it with a meat thermometer and they were within a couple of degrees of each other! Besides, the Harley parts book does NOT exclude the Tri-Glide; it states: "63004-09 Fits ’07-later Touring models (except models equipped with a sidecar)"! Maybe he thinks that a Tri-Glide is a sidecar?
I think you just typed the magic words, (except models equiped with a sidecar). You might check the calibration of the stock dipstick vs the new one and might find they are different. The Tri Glide dipstick has 2 scales on it, one for bikes on a side stand and one for bikes level.

Old 06-02-2009 | 07:55 PM
TheJimer
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by msocko3
I think you just typed the magic words, (except models equiped with a sidecar). You might check the calibration of the stock dipstick vs the new one and might find they are different. The Tri Glide dipstick has 2 scales on it, one for bikes on a side stand and one for bikes level.

Msocko,

You make a valid point; however, if in-fact that were the case, wouldn’t you think that they would also exclude the Tri-Glide just as they did side car models?

Jim

Old 06-02-2009 | 08:01 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

You are correct. If it didn't include the Tri Glide it would have been excluded.

Old 06-02-2009 | 08:46 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

Books have Typos, and oversights.... That dipstick will NOT read the correct level, as a TG or Hack's oil level are SIGNIFICANTLY different.... The following is an abbreviated direct copy and paste from the Online Wish Book...

Oil Level and Temperature Dipstick with Lighted LCD Readout - Chrome

New and improved "capacitive" level sensing technology provides the highest degree of accuracy and durability. Now available in.... and press-and-hold feature to toggle between Fahrenheit and Celsius.

This product is available in multiple variations. Be sure to look for the one that fits the specific model and year of your motorcycle.

63004-09

Fits '07-later Touring models (except FLHTCUTG and models equipped with a sidecar).

Those Wish books are a guide... The past (2009 MY) had OVER 500 errors, and it had to do with the TG and the XR1200.....

Old 06-02-2009 | 09:25 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TheJimer
tririder,
I have a Digital Oil Temp./Oil Level Dipstick Gauge ( Harley P/N 63004-09); a lot of people will tell to go with the Analog Dipstick Gauge or replace the Outside Air Temp. (OAT) gauge with an Oil Temp. Gauge. I was NOT willing to sacrifice my OAT for an Oil Temp. Gauge! I believe that you need BOTH an OAT & Oil Temp. reading to get an accurate picture!

As to reliability of the dipstick gauge; I am told that the new ones are much improved and that they are as dependable as the Analog style and besides; I like the idea of being able to check the oil level without handling the hot dipstick!

Jim
Just a FYI:

You can get a Harley handlebar mounted temp gauge to replace the air temp gauge in the fairing. I have one mounted currently on the right side of the handlebars. Its pretty accurate too.

Attached Thumbnails How Hot Do You Run?-004a.jpg  
Old 06-08-2009 | 08:38 AM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member

This thread just made me feel a bit better. On a 90 degree day my 124" will reach temps of 250 degrees. Yesterday with three of us riding and temps in the mid 80's, I ran at 235 degrees. This is while running synthetic and also a 10 row oil cooler. I'll stop worrying now.

Quick Reply: How Hot Do You Run?