Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Pulling my home built trailer with RG

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:49 AM
DRAFT1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulling my home built trailer with RG

Well I finally got to go on a small ride with my trailer last weekend. First time to pull my trailer with the Road Glide. I built the trailer last year and pulled it behind my ST1300 on a 3500 mile road trip out west. The RG did great, and we had to pull it through a severe thunderstorm which I did not like. I am posting some pictures of trailer with RG and pictures of what I packed on the trip out west. I was surprised on what you can actually pack in these things. The wife loves it for sure.

Attached Thumbnails Pulling my home built trailer with RG-p5080073-large-.jpg   Pulling my home built trailer with RG-p5080079-large-.jpg   Pulling my home built trailer with RG-dsc01685-medium-.jpg  
Old 05-10-2009, 10:32 AM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master

Very nice. Looks like a project I need to tackle. Went camping in Daytona and my bike looked like the Clampets packed it.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:38 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now that's funny!!!

Originally Posted by jkoch09ultra
Very nice. Looks like a project I need to tackle. Went camping in Daytona and my bike looked like the Clampets packed it.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:55 PM
77earp
Cruiser

That's a great looking trailer. I have one that's almost identical. I got it from Al at www.alsmotorcycleaccesories.com I upgraded to rubber torsion suspension, and couldn't be happier with it's performance.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:15 AM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master

DRAFT1

Where did you get the frame, Northern Freight? Did you cut it down and reweld? Very interested in how you did it. I am not going to spend $3,000 on a trailer.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:50 AM
DRAFT1
Tourer

Originally Posted by jkoch09ultra
DRAFT1

Where did you get the frame, Northern Freight? Did you cut it down and reweld? Very interested in how you did it. I am not going to spend $3,000 on a trailer.
Below is a post I made on the ST1300 site so I have copied and pasted it here. You can get a lots of info on this site for home built trailers.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing/start. I ended up with about $650.00 in mine when finished. It took a weekend to get it done. You will need to have your rear axle welded back together because of cutting it down. All the other is bolted together. I just couldn't bring myself to paying $$$$ for a trailer that I use maybe once or twice a year. It seems to get the job done. My brother and I built identicle trailers to pull on our trip out west last spring. They performed flawlessly so I can't complain. I would be glad to discuss if you decide to jump into it. Thanks

The trailer frame is from Harbor Freight Co. I cut mine down to fit the Thule Sidekick box. Total width is about 36" (Outside fender to outside fender). It is 27" from center of tire to center of tire. I would recomend about 3" wider for this, but still I have not had any problems. I only done this because I have a buddy that done his this way. I have pulled this trailer over 4000 miles so far with no concerns. It pulls true and I have had no wobble effect from pulling it. Actually, you can't even tell its behind you. I have pulled it up to 85 MPH for some distances. There is a web site under Delphi forum for building homemade trailers. I recommend you visit it if you plan to build one. All of the lights are LED. They do not pull enough load to overload the existing fused circuit. That is why I used them. There are other methods, however, you will see in the picture post below that they are very bright. They have 12 LEDS per light. Hub caps are from a golf cart company, painted silver and cut 2" dia. hole to allow hub to fit. There are also other types. Hope this helps those who are interested.