Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Pops Gets Tri-Glide Back - New map and brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:55 PM
PopDukes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pops Gets Tri-Glide Back - New map and brakes

Finally got my bike back. Reminder: Riding back from Laughlin River Run air filter became saturated with oil (trashed the whole right side). Also brakes have overwhelmingly squeaked and at times chattered excessively from day one. Dealers said not to worry. Also had excessive pinging in all gears between 2600 & 3600 RPM.

Final results:
Found grooves in rear disks (i brought to three dealers on this issue), replaced rotors/disks/pads. Appear to have solve the issue.

They could not find reason for oil overflow. Was fully tested per factory discussions and all checked out.

Factory provided new map. Engine sounds a bit different, but appears to run MUCH better. Pinging is virtually gone. Noticed a bit at 70mph in 6th gear with and without cruse on during my initial ride home. Tonight had chance to get on highway for short bit and did not notice any pinging. 95+ degrees here today (San Fernando Valley, So. Cal), engine very hot!

Am still concerned over the oil issue, specifically for that they did not find the cause. The dealer swears that they did not over fill it. :-)

Have 1750 miles on it now. Hoping all is good and can just enjoy the ride. I'll post some photos soon as I have started to accessorize it. Chrome bumper, chrome side fender trim, adjustable backrest, etc

Pops

Old 05-07-2009, 11:35 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, all that happening on new trike??

Old 05-08-2009, 02:34 AM
cubbear42
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

PopDukes,

Your oil overfill/overflow sounds something similar that happened to us on our
'98 Sportster...

We rode it for many miles all over the county... Mac always had whatever maintenance done for the various miles - oil changed; tires - everything...

Me being the passenger I was aware of how the bike rode, etc... I always wore chaps, never got any oil on me...

One year we were leaving Palm Beach Gardens, Florida for California - had the required maintenance done on bike at Palm Beach Harley... We were headed up the Florida Turnpike where we turned onto I-75 and were continuing into the Panhandle...

The bike just didn't sound right and I had oil splattered all over my chaps, especially the right one... We spent an extra day (due to weekend) to wait for Pensicola (sp) Harley Dealer to open... Maintenance guy never took the bike out for a test - said it sounded alright and if we have any concerns about it to turn around and go back home...

We weren't about to turn around so we continued our trip... As I said, we rode all over - we were coming into the Savannah, GA area when the bike just died... It's been quite some time since all this happened so I may not have our destination correct but it's close - I do know where the bike broke down... With the Road-Side assistance service we had we were towed (on flat tow truck) to closest dealer who could fix the bike...

Found out the engine or something had to be rebuilt... Had to do something with the 'new' or 'advised' gasket that had been put on the bike at it's last maintenance at Palm Beach Harley...

Don't really remember all the details - believe we wrote about it on our website back then - but it meant we had to find a way to ride home in Florida - do you all know you can't rent a car from one state and leave it in another state (one way)...? Anyway, couldn't do it back then - we had to rent a U-Haul to carry our gear and transport ourselves back home...

I don't have much good to say about Savannah Harley - know it took them longer than the 2 weeks - believe we had to pay for all the repairs or 'rebuild' if I remember correctly...

Anyway - it was the oil that leaked all over me and the bike and the way the bike sounded - they all (the dealers) tried to say 'that's the way they always sound, etc'... After so much riding, we knew differently...

Best of luck to you...

Old 05-08-2009, 04:44 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PopDukes
Finally got my bike back. Reminder: Riding back from Laughlin River Run air filter became saturated with oil (trashed the whole right side). Also brakes have overwhelmingly squeaked and at times chattered excessively from day one. Dealers said not to worry. Also had excessive pinging in all gears between 2600 & 3600 RPM.

Final results:
Found grooves in rear disks (i brought to three dealers on this issue), replaced rotors/disks/pads. Appear to have solve the issue.

They could not find reason for oil overflow. Was fully tested per factory discussions and all checked out.

Factory provided new map. Engine sounds a bit different, but appears to run MUCH better. Pinging is virtually gone. Noticed a bit at 70mph in 6th gear with and without cruse on during my initial ride home. Tonight had chance to get on highway for short bit and did not notice any pinging. 95+ degrees here today (San Fernando Valley, So. Cal), engine very hot!

Am still concerned over the oil issue, specifically for that they did not find the cause. The dealer swears that they did not over fill it. :-)

Have 1750 miles on it now. Hoping all is good and can just enjoy the ride. I'll post some photos soon as I have started to accessorize it. Chrome bumper, chrome side fender trim, adjustable backrest, etc

Pops
Sorry to hear about all the problems you are having. I am also having a heat issue with my trike. I have an oil temp gauge in my fairing and the temp pegs out at 300 degrees with the ait temp at 80 degrees. It is going in for the 1000 mile check up next Tuesday. I don't really expect any relief with the hot engine. It is going to be a battle to get that resolved. They know how to fix the problem, just unwilling to do so. Oh well, we'll see what happens.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:34 PM
PopDukes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks and 103 Heat Issue

Thanks for your replies. Have riden the last couple of days now and all seems fine. Brakes feel good like they should have been from the start. The new mapping has cut 97+% of the pinging. Runs better that it ever has.

The heat is just a known issue with this engine. One idea I have is removing the side compartments in extreme heat conditions to allow better air flow to the engine. Also plan to change the air filter to a screaming eagle ventilator performance air cleaner, and thinking of new pipes. Though the pipes will help, I was liking the quiter ride. So will see on those.

FYI. The last few days of riding as been in the 95-100 degree weather. Again, this new map really effected the engines performance!

Back soon,
Pops

Old 05-09-2009, 05:28 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by PopDukes
FYI. The last few days of riding as been in the 95-100 degree weather. Again, this new map really effected the engines performance!
I'm assuming that you mean less pinging or do you mean effected it in other ways. I still can't accept the running in excess of 300 degrees when you consider quite a few people use regular motor oil which doesn't tolerate high temperatures very well.