Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

TG and Conversion Mods. The good, bad and the ugly.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 05:56 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Default TG and Conversion Mods. The good, bad and the ugly.

Thought this would be a fun subject. Seems to be popular in other areas of the site for their models.

So, all of the senior trike riders out there... Give it up. What are the best mods you did and why? What worked and what flopped?

Old 04-12-2009, 04:34 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pingel race shifter. Bad choice. Didnt last 3 1/2 months had to get it repaired because it wouldnt upshift. Waited on Pingel for 3 weeks to fix under warranty 6 weeks later after I got it back, it stopped shifting all together.

Because of that, it forced me to make a right foot shifter that works perfectly for my needs. Its been the best modification for me along with having the Champion reverse gear installed

Old 04-12-2009, 08:51 PM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sucks that you weren't happy with the Pingel. i had some issues with mine and had to send it back, as it froze up on me. made it impossible to shift gears. pissed me off, but the guys at Pingel were very helpful and didn't charge me, even though my shifter was no onger warranteed. that was after about 4500 miles of riding with the shifter. since then, i've put on almost 6,000 trouble free miles. i've also heard that kliktronic makes an awesome electric shifter too.

another thing that i encountered during the build was frontend stability issues. my mechanic wouldn't even turn the bike over to me, even though it was completed. he said that if he couldn't control it with two hands there was no way in hell i could with one. so, after alot of arguing and phone calls to the trike manufacturer and others, we ended up raking the front end and throwing on longer tubes. it rides like a dream now and i can completely let go on a smooth straightaway.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:47 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pingel did fix it the first time at no charge. But after the second time it stopped working it made me realize it wasnt reliable at all.
I couldnt chance the thing breaking down on me if Im on a road trip. I had another expensive lesson in Nevada 250 miles out in the high desert. I had to be towed back to Reno HD which was the closest HD dealer 250 miles back on I80

I didnt have tow coverage and my tow bill after the $100 HOG paid, the additional cost to me was $900.00 to pay the rest of the bill. Not including 2 days in a hotel waiting on the covered repair for the defective fuel pump shell Harley had a recall on.

So I guess it forced me to get AAA RV towing that covers up to 250 miles for my next break down. Im hoping it will jinx me from breaking down ........ lol

So A good thing is to have towing to cover your breakdown. Your gonna need a rollback to get you and you want to make sure the tow company has boards on the truck to make ramps to get your rig on the rollback. The angle of the bed is steep when they go to load it up and if the they dont have the boards they will drag your mufflers.

Also, make sure which ever towing coverage you get its going to cover motorcycles.

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 04-12-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:29 AM
bdn56
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best was the Champion reverse. My other reverse was getting tired.

I am waiting for my Hog Trough beverage holder and locks. I think this will be t#$ts.

Worst was the 8" tinted windshield. It looked the best but I was hit by too many flying objects. Examples are Birds, rocks, rain, hail, wasps and regular bumble bees. I replaced with a 10". So far so good.

I hate to say it but my Kruzer Caddy can't stay on the bars much longer. I am tired of wiping coffee off my tank. Want to buy it?

Old 04-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

The Kruzer caddies are fun aren't they? I only use bottles in mine and they must have a screw cap and must fit the insulation. Normally Power or Gatorade is my cup o tee.

Yes they shake like all get out but they also turn or try to turn over too. I cured that by taking dental floss and wrapping it around the stem several times. That stiffened the holder and even a full large bottle will stay upright now. The cap is for the shakes.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

I think my best mod was the seat modification by Mean City. Have had several done by Allen and the seats are very comfy.

The next best mod were the side cover guards. HD doesn't sell them anymore but they can be purchased aftermarket now. No more hits or scratches on my side covers by the passenger.

As far as the trike conversion... it would have to be the on board air compressor. I can change my ride on the fly depending on the road and the passenger weight.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:54 AM
bdn56
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just received my new beverage holder and lower pocket covers. PM me for the dealer and price. I was shocked at the quality. I took the leather covers off and replaced them with the new metal locking covers. Very secure. The key fits the fuel door also.

They are on sale from ebay now.

Anybody want a slightly used chrome Kruzer Kaddy?