Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

How Quiet is your Tri Glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:28 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How Quiet is your Tri Glide

My Tri Glide Sounds like it has a Exhaust leak Coming from the front Cylinder Head exhaust flange. I dont see any carbon around the flange. Not real loud slight popping noise. My 09 FXD is quiet. Same Engine 96ci the Tri is 103ci Are any one else a little noisey around the front jug or is it just mine. Tomrrow I will Ck it out some more Hold Shop Rags on the muffler ends to see if it increases the noise. And ck the torgue specs on the flange nuts. Up date 4-11 Saturday the tapping is getting louder im getting sicker. It sounds like valve train Lifters ,rocker arms or push rods. Got to get it to the dealer hope im wrong. Cause they will have to tear it down quite a bit.

Last edited by carlo; 04-11-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:09 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

That noise doesn't sound normal the TG is ghostly, quiet to me its quieter than a Goldwing.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:39 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member

I checked it out again today seams like a tapping from the front cylinder head. Read on the touring section a tread on this seams to be common. I'll ride it till the 1000 mile service then ask at that time. Unless it gets louder.As far as the trunk guess i'll have to live with it as the new gasket is still leaking on the recalled Bikes. Kinda stinks for a 34k machine.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:28 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Mine not as quiet as a Goldwing.....sounds rather pleasant, won't make any changes.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is quiet. I am thinking I might change the pipes. But I don't want it loud either. Just a low rumble would be nice.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:20 AM
cubbear42
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Our TriGlide is not quieter than a Goldwing... I say a Goldwing 'sounds' like a butterfly - can't hear them at all...

I like the sound of our TriGlide - first time I'm not 'sitting on the rear seat' - and now I have two exhaust pipes behind me, one on each side and they sound good...

Old 04-11-2009, 09:03 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
Mine is quiet. I am thinking I might change the pipes. But I don't want it loud either. Just a low rumble would be nice.
I put the Screaming Eagle 4 inch exhaust with the revolver tips on mine and it has the low rumble that I think you might be looking for.The HD part number for the mufflers is 80732-09

Old 04-11-2009, 09:07 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cubbear42
Our TriGlide is not quieter than a Goldwing... I say a Goldwing 'sounds' like a butterfly - can't hear them at all...

I like the sound of our TriGlide - first time I'm not 'sitting on the rear seat' - and now I have two exhaust pipes behind me, one on each side and they sound good...
What Msocko3 was referring to was I went cruising by him holding a steady speed and he could barely hear me. Obviously if you twist on the throttle it is louder as I have put different exhaust on it.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:55 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by cubbear42
If your riding another bike and the TG passes you, its quiet I was shocked at how quiet. I have a friend that has a 05 Wing and when he passes me I can hear that alternator whine that the GL1800 wings all seem to have. The TG just goes by without a sound unless you crack the throttle. After riding my dads TG I have to say this is the smoothest and quietest HD that I've ridden, and I've ridden pretty much every model big Twin as they come out each year.

Right now I'm waiting for the 2010 that I ordered, July can't get here soon enough. The colors that they have for 2010 are Black, Flame Blue Pearl, Flame Blue Pearl and Silver Pearl 2 tone and Red Hot Sunglow. I have the 2 tone on order. According to the sale Mgr it should be the first TG delivered at the end of July.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:52 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by msocko3
If your riding another bike and the TG passes you, its quiet I was shocked at how quiet. I have a friend that has a 05 Wing and when he passes me I can hear that alternator whine that the GL1800 wings all seem to have. The TG just goes by without a sound unless you crack the throttle. After riding my dads TG I have to say this is the smoothest and quietest HD that I've ridden, and I've ridden pretty much every model big Twin as they come out each year.

Right now I'm waiting for the 2010 that I ordered, July can't get here soon enough. The colors that they have for 2010 are Black, Flame Blue Pearl, Flame Blue Pearl and Silver Pearl 2 tone and Red Hot Sunglow. I have the 2 tone on order. According to the sale Mgr it should be the first TG delivered at the end of July.
Do you no if they changed any thing else on the 2010 TG

Quick Reply: How Quiet is your Tri Glide