Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Windshields and rain

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshields and rain

How many of you look through your windshield and not over it on the Trikes?

I put a lower one on mine, but I still look through it. I mean I can't even stretch up and see over it. I really don't want a lower one because of wind buffeting. But I got caught in a little rain last week and I can tell I will have a hard time seeing if I get caught in anything heavier. Any suggestions?

Old 04-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Hang in there with me....

C has the same issue but she is riding a Deluxe. She wants me to cut down the windshield because it cuts her eye line... OK, I'm going somewhere with all this... so If I cut it below her eye line she can see better but will have a little wind buffeting. To reduce the buffeting she doesn't use the 1/2 helmet sun visor as they will pull your helmet up and cause neck muscle pain. Take them off or buy one without.

OK.. so here's what I am getting to....

A windshield should be even with your nose or your mouth according to windshield manufactures. This is where I have mine and is very comfortable. The majority of my riding time is to the extreme of non-rain rides so I just keep a set of day vision glasses that repel the water if I am caught in it or just pull over for shelter. Day vision yellow without a frame around the lens will help the rain to roll off the lens and the yellow will help you to see in the rain and mist. $15 bucks. I keep them in my lowers pocket and in a pouch so I can reach them without getting off the trike and so they don't scratch.

There is also a product called Zooke ($). It comes in a very small container as a paste that is the best anti-fog product I have ever found ($). A little goes a very long way ($). You take a little paste on the end of your finger and rub both sides of your glasses and use a microfiber (one without metal slivers) and polish it clean ($). If you get rain behind these types of glasses just tilt your head down and the wind will blow it dry.

I don't like this product very much but RainX on these glasses helps a lot too. Just be careful how you clean them or the RainX will streak. I shutter when I hear RainX has been used on a windshield. If this product ruins your glasses then they are cheaper to replace than a windshield.

--> .02.. Sorry for being long winded but you already know I'm like that.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:22 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Don't use RainX on your windshield!!!!!

I used RainX 3 or 4 times on my two windshields and everything was fine until I let it dry one time on the windshield. BIG mistake! When it dried, it circled on the windshield whereever there was a droplet of the RainX. I have tried everything but I can not get the circles off the windshield. We even buffed it with a power buffer--it helped but it is still circled.

I agree with the Wizard where he was talking about a helmet with a front bill on it. It will try to pull off your head off and it is a pain to deal with. If the windshield is cut off at the right level, most of the wind will go over your head.

Enjoy the ride!

Old 04-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep a good coat of Harley Glaze on the windshield. Sheds water very well

Old 04-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Dave... I have read here that some have used Isopropyl Alcohol to remove the RainX but I don't know if it will or not. I have used it on windshields to clean them when nothing else seems to work. The wife's windshield wouldn't come clean. Used everything but you could see the wipe marks moments later. Use Isopropyl 70% from the bottle and it came clean. Plexus to follow and it's pristine. Don't know if it will remove RainX though.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ultra 08
I've never used it... is it really good and how often should it be re-applied?

(kind of a dumb question isn't it.. apply it when it stops shedding water)

Old 04-06-2009, 05:48 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra 08
I couldn'd agree with you more. I also use Crystal Glo

Old 04-06-2009, 07:58 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

First thing to come off the TG was the windshield....I have 8" smoked windshield (which is really for looks, not functionality) and wear a 3/4 helmet with face shield.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:42 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I also wear a 3/4 helmet with face shield. Rain is not a problem other than it "sucks" to ride in it.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:30 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also wear a 3/4 with shield. I found I had to put the shield up in the rain, because then I was looking through 3 shields. Glasses, helmet shield and windshield. I hate that!
Barbara, do you get a lot of wind buffeting with that lower shield? How tall are you?

Quick Reply: Windshields and rain