Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Windshields and rain

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 06:30 AM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
I've never used it... is it really good and how often should it be re-applied?

(kind of a dumb question isn't it.. apply it when it stops shedding water)

Not a dumb question at all...

I usually put it on about once a month.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:28 AM
mcralph
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another very good product is Plexus. I use it on the windshield and face shield.

As said before - watch out for Rainex! It's made for glass, not plastic.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:55 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
I also wear a 3/4 with shield. I found I had to put the shield up in the rain, because then I was looking through 3 shields. Glasses, helmet shield and windshield. I hate that!
Barbara, do you get a lot of wind buffeting with that lower shield? How tall are you?
looking through 3 shields. Glasses, helmet shield and windshield.,

man isnt that the truth!

Even when you lift the helmet shield up so the water rolls off it. You get that wind drag!. I managed to place a plastic visor (for helmets) to the helmet shield. I mounted it with plastic bolts n nuts and with rubber grommets between the shield and visor. This way, with the helmet shield in the up position. The wind had a place to exit. No helmet wind drag! When I have the helmet shield down. The visor that's attached to it. Provides shade over my glasses. That's so much better than holding your hand up for shade and looking like your saluting everyone.

RJ

Old 04-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't hold my hand up for shade!!! I still have a hard time letting go to give a wave!!!! It is harder on a Trike! Had no problems waving on my 2 wheelers.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:42 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Can't hold my hand up for shade!!! I still have a hard time letting go to give a wave!!!! It is harder on a Trike! Had no problems waving on my 2 wheelers.
Why are you having a hard time letting go? If your Triglide is pulling one direction or the other there might be a problem. I found that my Dads tracked great once I got used to not trying to steer it. I could take my hand off the bar and scratch my nose, wave to someone all with no problem. The Trike just tracked straight as an arrow, I was riding with a loose grip on the bars. Try not to push with the hand that is still on the bars when you let go with the other one.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to ask the same question as msocko3. What does your Trike do when you take a hand off of the bars? I can take both hands off and she tracks as straight as can be. No pull or push either way.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:55 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My front end acts the same as yours. I have to go back in and tighten the neck bearings a bit more. I'll bet that's why yours requires both hands. I havent been riding mine. I'm still building the inside of my cargo area.

RJ

Old 04-09-2009, 10:01 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I am 5'6" and do get a lot of wind buffering. Bought the HD kevlar 3/4 helmet w/faceshield...noticed wind noise, so went back to my Jet II helmet.

I miss the chrome wind deflectors (#58121-85B) I had on the EGC...appears they won't fit on the TG from what I can see.

I use Plexus on windshield and face shield.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:25 PM
bdn56
Road Captain

I had an 8" on my ultra for quite a while. Minor buffeting with the 3/4 helmet with shield. I have the shield up most of the time. I only put it down when raining. I still have a hard time seeing the road when the glasses and shield get fogged over.
I was lucky enough to have a WASP hit me in the forehead at 70 mph. I saw him coming but wasn't fast enough to duck. You wouldn't think a smashed wasp can still sting? I decided then to get a 10".. It comes up to my nose. I have less buffeting. I think it will help out when raining also.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

Msoko and Keystone......I can let go if going straight. I do all the time to lift my shield or put it down. But it has to be on my timing, not approaching bikes. I do not take my hands off in a curve and that seems to be when I get hit with the waves!!! I will wave on a straight away if the crown of the road isn't throwing me around.

Quick Reply: Windshields and rain