Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

anyone got a motortrike

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 06:57 PM
belmac
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone got a motortrike

if so how do you like it, how about handling. pros-cons.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:57 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

The handling is just fine. She will corner like she is on a rail but you had better hold on. You don't lean on a trike so before you get used to it you will feel like you are going to do a superman off the high side. Your passenger will need a grab rail to feel comfortable. It's an entirely different ride around corners.

Motor Trike has an air ride suspension on a straight limited slip rear axle. I recommend the on board air compressor so you can adjust the stiffness to fit your road. Also there are adjustable coil-over shocks like you would see on a Dyna class. I would also recommend the ez-steer that will rake your front end an extra 4.5*. It's like the difference between standard and power steering.

Issues: Trunk seal... You may have to keep adjusting your locking handles until you get a decent seal that will keep the water out. Before washing put a thick towel in the trunk to catch the water seepage. The Triglide has the same issues.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:39 AM
belmac
Cruiser

thanks for the info. thats just what i wanted to know. i think you just sealed the deal

Old 02-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Well that was easy.

There's really not much that can go wrong by choosing one kit over another. They are all great. I think the most important decision is the install shop. Do your homework and ask around.

There are Trike forums that can help you locate one as well and give other opinions. I've know some guys that take their bike half way across the country just to select a certain shop.

Oh.. don't forget your reverse gear. Worth its weight absolutely. I think Champion reverse kit is a great choice.

Good luck with your build.

Edit: Be sure to get all of your take off parts... I got over 1500 bucks back selling on EB. Motor Trike kits makes you cut your back fender in half. Take the tail light assy that is attached to that cut off piece and mount it on your garage wall. Makes a great conversation piece and a wonderful place to hang your helmet.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 02-28-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:08 PM
floridaboston
5th Gear
Default I love my motor trike

Did you buy one yet? I love mine....here's a picture...take care.

Attached Thumbnails anyone got a motortrike-0035794-r1-024-10a_0001.jpg  
Old 08-12-2009, 06:43 AM
robandlyn
Road Master

Originally Posted by floridaboston
Did you buy one yet? I love mine....here's a picture...take care.
What the heck do you have hanging off your engine guard bars ?
Don't tell me that it is a siren ! .... lol ....
If so is it legal to have and use ?
Rob .....

Old 08-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Glyder
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whered you get the whitewalls in the rear?

Old 08-13-2009, 08:37 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im happy with my Motortrike Kit. Just rode 3800 miles in 8 days

Old 08-13-2009, 10:13 AM
dwg dave
Advanced

My wife's experience with her 2000 Deuce with a 2004 Motor Trike kit purchased used in 2008 has been a bad and good experience. The bad, three air bag failures (nobody knows why) and one rear end failure due to installing dealer not properly assembling the trike. Did not torque or lock-tite the sprocket to the rear end. The GOOD, even though this trike kit is out of warranty Motor Trike has stood behind their product, shipped us three new air bags at no charge and had us take the bike to the closest dealer to replace the rear end. A $4200.00 repair bill ended up costing us only $450.00 for shipping and dealer inspection fee and three hours of trilering the bike to and back from NH. Only problem is they have no ideal why the air bags keep tearing but are trying to figure out a solution. My wife is 5’-4” and 100 lbs and has absolutely no problems handling or riding this trike and is always right behind me except when I fly thru turns on my wide glide.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Dave.. I'm sure this has been asked of you before but how are you filling the air suspension with air, an air compressor?

Next, the rear sprocket comes from the factory already assembled on the rear end now. Little chance of it not being torqued properly since the shop doesn't put it on. The entire rear end is one piece now and is a no maintenance rear end.

Haven't had any of your issues but sure hope I am treated as well. Sounds like they did you well.

Quick Reply: anyone got a motortrike