Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

anyone got a motortrike

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 10:19 PM
tmigala
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wizard I left my tru-track on also. I sure noticed the difference on the 2 wheels. I just thought my trike was well setup because it also handles great. I didnt think the tru-track would have any input on the trike.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:44 PM
3inthestall
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm comming in a little late on the "motortrike" topic, but I want my fellow bikers to be aware of the facts about "motortrike " kit on softails.
Motortrike kits look great.
Motortrike kits handle great.Before letting my wife onto her new trike conversion ,I took it out on the highway and brought it up to 105 mph. It ran out perfectly.
The conversion was done by a local HD dealer who handled "motortrike" at the time.
(they no longer do?) The body fitment to the axel wasn't too hot though . There was one inch of clearance between fender and tire on one side, and a good 2" on the other.When I brought this to the attention of the dealer, they said "that's just the way they fit" . When I first rode the trike home it had a severe front
end wobble. Again the dealership said that there was nothing they could do. I contacted "motortrike" and they instructed to tighten the steering neck bearing. I did that and that took care of the problem. At this time we only had 2000 mi on the new softail. The next july we took a trip out west , and that when all heck broke loose. We just got done riding about 65mph to 70 mph on some wonderful roads when we pulled into Red Lodge, Montana. We stopped at the stop sign and proceded into town. When my wife wasn't right behind I went back to find her on the side of the road with broken trike. A heim joint, on the trike, broke, allowing the whole rear end go out of allignment. Far enough out to have the tire rubbing on the fender. Far enough out to loose control of the trike!We just got through ridig at highway speeds, and on curves. Had that heim joint broke 1 minute sooner, my wife wouldn't be here today. "Motortrike " paid the harley dealer in Billings to fix the broken heimjoint. They replaced it with one of a better grade. What? I asked the woman on the phone. A BETTER GRADE? I found out later that the differance in price of the heim joint they originally used and the new one was peanuts. Why "motortrike" would use parts that should be on your lawnmower on a vehicle that will be doing hiway speeds is what I question.So if you don't like your wife , get her a "motortrike" . I don't know about the Dina models, or the baggers. But the softails are just not safe. If we get another one it will be all Harley, like the tri-glide.
Good luck out there , and keep the shiney side up