Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

anyone got a motortrike

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:18 AM
dwg dave
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a on-board air compressor and she usually keeps it at 20 psi. Motor Trike says the bags can handle up to 80 psi, asked them if it matters if they are not inflated, they say its not a problem (sometimes wife forgets to inflate them). The sproket issue may be one dealer trashing another or possibly it was Motor Trike that failed to correctly install the sproket so it was just blamed on the dealer that originally assembled the kit and is now out of business and can not defend themselves.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

My air suspension seems to always leak down. About 3 or 4 pounds a week. I've been told that is normal. I've also been told to run at 40 psi but I put it up to 55 when riding twisties for better corning abilities with less roll. 20 seems low to me.

Do you know where your coil over shocks are set? factory says setting 2. Mine were set at 1 so I changed them. Seems to ride better after that but it would be up to the rider and the riders weight and I know I weigh more than your wifey X 2.

Trashing is common place, you're right, but I do know the new MT model rear ends are pre-built.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:17 PM
bdsnooks
Stage I

I have a Motor Trike that was done at the factory in Troup Texas.
Aside from a few minor problems, I'm very pleased with it.

Took some getting used to initially, but now it's GREAT! My wife's still having a little trouble getting used to the twisties---
I use the little shock hand pump for the airbags and it works fine.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:48 PM
belmac
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard

Next, the rear sprocket comes from the factory already assembled on the rear end now. Little chance of it not being torqued properly since the shop doesn't put it on. The entire rear end is one piece now and is a no maintenance rear end.

Haven't had any of your issues but sure hope I am treated as well. Sounds like they did you well.
my trike is in the shop now for a sprocket failure, seems the belt wore off one side of the pulley and the belt came off. factory installed. they have sent another rearend

Old 10-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by belmac
my trike is in the shop now for a sprocket failure, seems the belt wore off one side of the pulley and the belt came off. factory installed. they have sent another rearend
OUCH... rear end alignment issue?

Old 10-03-2009, 08:42 PM
belmac
Cruiser

don't know. it rode good and straight.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:46 AM
TrikerDenny
Stage III
Default Motor Trike

Originally Posted by belmac
if so how do you like it, how about handling. pros-cons.
I have one bware:
I have a 08 ultra classic that I put a Motor Trike kit on it has had shaking problems from the beginning. In June of this year I took a trip that was to be 7,000 miles in 30 days from Minnesota to Arizona, California all the way up the coast. I was 50 miles north of Scottsdale AZ a shock went out I took it to a dealer in Scottsdale he replaced the shock then took in for a test ride he come back and said there was something wrong. To make a long story short my rear motor mount was cracked almost all the way through and I was one bump from a wreck. I have done some checking and found out I am not the only one that has had this problem is there more? I plan to do something about this but I would like to here just how often this happens.

Tikerdenny

Old 10-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by TrikerDenny
I have one bware:
I have a 08 ultra classic that I put a Motor Trike kit on it has had shaking problems from the beginning. In June of this year I took a trip that was to be 7,000 miles in 30 days from Minnesota to Arizona, California all the way up the coast. I was 50 miles north of Scottsdale AZ a shock went out I took it to a dealer in Scottsdale he replaced the shock then took in for a test ride he come back and said there was something wrong. To make a long story short my rear motor mount was cracked almost all the way through and I was one bump from a wreck. I have done some checking and found out I am not the only one that has had this problem is there more? I plan to do something about this but I would like to here just how often this happens.

Tikerdenny
Denny

I think every trike manufacturer has their quirks but it sounds like your installer didn't align the back end and didn't do a very good torque job.

Good installers are worth their weight in gold.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:36 AM
TrikerDenny
Stage III

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Denny

I think every trike manufacturer has their quirks but it sounds like your installer didn't align the back end and didn't do a very good torque job.

Good installers are worth their weight in gold.
I think you are right but he told me to go to H he wont cover nothing.
Motor Trike is also doing nothing they say it is Harley's fault so I think a judge will have to decide.

I kept the broken transmission and an engineer is looking at it and thinks he has a way to reinforce the new one so the torque and weight will be transferred to something stronger.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by TrikerDenny
I think you are right but he told me to go to H he wont cover nothing.
Motor Trike is also doing nothing they say it is Harley's fault so I think a judge will have to decide.

I kept the broken transmission and an engineer is looking at it and thinks he has a way to reinforce the new one so the torque and weight will be transferred to something stronger.
Well doesn't that just suck hind tit.

Before converting my Ultra C I had a "true-track" on her. It does a good job of making an extra mounting point for the tranny to the frame. Even ***** G said there should be a three point mount to the TCam so I left it on. It made a huge difference in the handling of the UC. My trike handles like it's on rails. It may help your situation by giving your tranny that extra support it needs. Click the links below for more info.

Article

True-Track Site

Quick Reply: anyone got a motortrike