Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Rear Fender Guards on Trike

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:53 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Went to their web site and got phone number....will call.

Barbara

Originally Posted by kentuckydave
Barb,

I know that Apex Sports in Colorado Springs, CO handles them or knows where to order them. We had a set put on our DFT kit. They are clear vinyl about 9"x24". One for each fender in the kit.

They have been on our trike about four years now with no problems.

Cheap no, worth the price, yes I think so. They were $145.00 installed.

http://www.apexsportsinc.com This is the url for apex. It should at least get you the phone number. Ask for Doyne Bruner, he owns the joint and is a great guy. He is semi retired and all he does is mess with trikes now.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:28 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spudster
Be careful 1sporty....."Had the Harley bar and shield outline stitched".....HD legal will be knocking on your door for trademark infringement. You're awful close to Wisconsin
I dont believe thats the grounds for infringement. Its when you use the bar and shield and put your own business name or logo in it. Heck, They'd be all over me if they saw all the bar n shields by them on my not hd leather jacket.

RJ

Old 04-16-2009, 10:54 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Be careful 1sporty....."Had the Harley bar and shield outline stitched".....HD legal will be knocking on your door for trademark infringement. You're awful close to Wisconsin
You had fender bras made? Leather-like....pictures? prices? Tri-Glide owners only

I made bdn56 some chip guards for his champion. I requested certain measurements and he supplied me with them. Their made of aluminum, bonded with a vinyl that looks just like the seat's grain. Their edged with a neoprene rubber "U" channel and glued both sides. They mount with the same velcro I supply with my other product. The guards will set approx. 1/16th off of the trikes paint. They can be removed to clean underneath. No moisture will accumulate beneath them. Since its spacing allows air flow.

I'm charging $60.00 a set.
Kiwi Black leather dye is the only application needed to maintain a new look appearance. I will soon have the Tri-Glide chip guards and will be making heel guards for behind the passenger's floor boards as well. bdn56's order is on it's way. I'm sure he'll post pictures and comment on them as well.

RJ

Old 04-17-2009, 09:49 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Was just funnin' with 1sporty.....guess I forgot to include a smiley face

Originally Posted by zoood
I dont believe thats the grounds for infringement. Its when you use the bar and shield and put your own business name or logo in it. Heck, They'd be all over me if they saw all the bar n shields by them on my not hd leather jacket.

RJ

Old 04-17-2009, 10:11 AM
1sportytrike
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL Went through that with the embroiderer. He said that he could do the outline of the bar and shield OR write Harley Davidson and be alright but if he wrote Harley Davidson on the bar and shield then the trademark infringement comes into play. Silly law!!

Old 04-19-2009, 01:08 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone ever considered installing a mud flap on the front fender? If not, why not? It may possibly help keep stone chips off the rear fenders??I am not a big fan of fender bras and finding someone to install the 3M clear film has become quite a challenge.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:34 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Default I did this for my front fender.

The factory trim piece on the bottom of my fender
wasn't long enough to keep the grim from
coming in contact with the voltage regulator.

I made, out of aluminum and covered with vinyl
an extension in place of the stock trim piece.

This years front fender, 1992 is shorter than the newer bikes.

Also, for the installation of the 3M clear film. I recommend going to a shop that installs vinyl lettering on vehicles. They know the correct way to install adhesive films.

Zoood

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Has anyone ever considered installing a mud flap on the front fender? If not, why not? It may possibly help keep stone chips off the rear fenders??I am not a big fan of fender bras and finding someone to install the 3M clear film has become quite a challenge.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:49 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Default MHO on plastic protective film

Im not writing this to sell or promote my fender guards. Riders will either buy it or something else.

However, this is my thoughts on the clear film that riders have been adding as coverage on their trike's fenders.

1. It protects the paint from getting sand blasted or chipped.
2. It helps keep the trike's looks in a new condition.

Now when I look down the road and resale comes into question.
I doubt that this film can be removed without damaging the paint underneath, as in pulling it off of the surface it's painted on.

The plastic film, over time. Closely examined will yield visual signs of sand blasting on it. I'm sure there will be nicks too. Just as you would see if you didnt have any protection at all. Though it may just be in the plastic film. It will still be visible. The question is,... if you don't resell the trike. Your stuck with that look in the plastic film.

Just something to think about,

Zoood

Old 04-19-2009, 02:24 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior

It will come off with a heat gun and taking your time. I have 17k so far with the 3M film on my trike fenders and have a few minor blemishes in the film from bugs and debris but I look at it its not in the paint.

Ultimately if you like to ride and ride alot, your gonna end up with chips, nicks, scratches from something you do it, the miles and debris coming up from the road and other vehicles you happen to be riding around. It amazes me how things end up in places on my bikes over the years I wouldnt have thought it was possible to get there

I also figure by the time the 3M film needs to come off there will be a new paint job needed Just my 2cents

Old 04-19-2009, 03:56 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
It will come off with a heat gun and taking your time. I have 17k so far with the 3M film on my trike fenders and have a few minor blemishes in the film from bugs and debris but I look at it its not in the paint.

Ultimately if you like to ride and ride alot, your gonna end up with chips, nicks, scratches from something you do it, the miles and debris coming up from the road and other vehicles you happen to be riding around. It amazes me how things end up in places on my bikes over the years I wouldnt have thought it was possible to get there

I also figure by the time the 3M film needs to come off there will be a new paint job needed Just my 2cents
Is the 3M film wrapped around your fender edges like the bra is??

Quick Reply: Rear Fender Guards on Trike