Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Sidecar post

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 06:32 AM
Beth in Tampa
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sidecar post

I've been lurking the Sportster forum (I have an '07 Nightster) and this one for a while (been ruminating on a sidecar for some time) and have not seen a sidecar post for a bit, so wanted to add one.

Last weekend, I took a 3-wheel (sidecar/trike) class in my area (Tampa Bay/St Pete) and despite taking the course on a little rig that was not set up correctly, that fueled my fire and clinched my desire to add a hack to my Nytie! A few months back, I was close to buying a gorgeous custom Motorvation Spyder (and still yearn for it) but have decided to wait until I took the class to see if I liked 3-wheels (vs. 2). I did, but have decided to spend about 1/2 of the cost of the customer Spyder for now and get a Velorex 563T as a "starter". I suspect I will remain "in love" and progress to a custom hack in the future.

Very excited about it and wanted to post... maybe some hackers will give me some new reading material on this site. I think I have found the shop to install, one recommended by a very helpful hacker on sidecar.com, but if any Tampa Bay area (or even central Florida) folks have recommendations, I will be grateful

Cheers!

Old 02-14-2009, 01:32 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beth, I don't know much about hacks, except that lots of people love em. I ride a trike, but think it's great that your jumping in and I think you will love the three wheeled world. Good for you for taking a class. When you get your rig done post some pics. And take it easy on the right turns till you get used to it. Now you just have the problem of waiting for it to be finished so you can ride.........

Old 02-14-2009, 03:36 PM
mcralph
Intermediate

One of the best sources for info is United Sidecar Owners - check their website if you haven't already.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Beth in Tampa
Advanced

You are so right - their website, sidecar.com is a great resource! I highly recommend it to anyone interested in sidecars. Phenomenal experts offering their insight based on their experience there.
Thanks!

Old 02-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Motorvation has a real good read on buying a hack.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:42 AM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member

Beth, don't know what kind of reading material you would like, but here are a couple of things I got and learned from.

"The Sidecar Operator Manual" by Hal Kendall is good and was a free download when I got it. Somewhere on Sidecar.com was a link to download it but I don't know if it's still there or not. Also, Hal is a big contributor to the sidecar site.

Another is "Driving A Sidecar Outfit" (known as the yellow book) by David Hough and the USCA Sidecar Safety Program people. I think I found the link to where to buy it on the sidecar.com site also. I think I paid around $25 for it but it's about $35 now. Here's the only link I could find for it:

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/produ...oducts_id=6043

Both these have some good reading might be worth it to you.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:38 AM
Beth in Tampa
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ultra 08
Beth, don't know what kind of reading material you would like, but here are a couple of things I got and learned from.

"The Sidecar Operator Manual" by Hal Kendall is good and was a free download when I got it. Somewhere on Sidecar.com was a link to download it but I don't know if it's still there or not. Also, Hal is a big contributor to the sidecar site.

Another is "Driving A Sidecar Outfit" (known as the yellow book) by David Hough and the USCA Sidecar Safety Program people. I think I found the link to where to buy it on the sidecar.com site also. I think I paid around $25 for it but it's about $35 now. Here's the only link I could find for it:

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/produ...oducts_id=6043

Both these have some good reading might be worth it to you.
Great minds must think alike! I have the Hal Kendall download and just last week ordered David Hough's book (from Whitehorse!) - thanks much! I was also hopeful for some hacker posts as "reading material", so thanks! Can't wait to get my rig and get to practicing my newfound skills.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:19 AM
mcralph
Intermediate

If you haven't read it already you may enjoy "American Borders" by Carla King. It's a sidecar trip around the US by a woman.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Beth in Tampa
Great minds must think alike! I have the Hal Kendall download and just last week ordered David Hough's book (from Whitehorse!) - thanks much! I was also hopeful for some hacker posts as "reading material", so thanks! Can't wait to get my rig and get to practicing my newfound skills.
Don't know what kind of posts would help, but I can give just a couple of comments:

When you get that sidecar mounted and hit the road, plan extra time because at almost every stop you make, people (old and young alike) will be all over you with comments and questions. That has always thrilled me. Also, when you are passed on the road, you get waves and smiles, especially from the kids who turn around and look out the back windows.

Traveling with a sidecar outfit, and I'm sure trikes too, is always great. We have made two trips out west on backroads and like to make stops in those small towns that the interstates seemed to have left behind. You meet the nicest people there and they love to tell you about how great their community is and most want you to "stay awhile" and talk. America is great when you get off the fast track. Stopped in at an old country crossroads gas station somewhere in Missouri once and four older gents had this young kid believing that we had a bass boat on the bike and could just unhook it at the lake and go fishin'.

Early April, we're heading South to Lake Wales (in your neck of the woods) for a couple of days with in-laws and then head West from there. So far, we're going as far west as New Orleans and from there, don't know yet. Wherever we end up, we'll wind our way back home and then get ready for a summer trip to Nova Scotia and maybe Newfoundland.

Didn't mean for the "couple" of comments to get so lengthy, so I'll stop. Bottom line though, Beth, is that it gets better all the time. I don't know how many hundred thousand miles I've put on bikes since the late 50's, but I don't think any of them have been as fulfilling as being on 3 wheels.

You'll see!

Old 02-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Beth in Tampa
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ultra 08
Don't know what kind of posts would help, but I can give just a couple of comments:

Traveling with a sidecar outfit, and I'm sure trikes too, is always great. We have made two trips out west on backroads and like to make stops in those small towns that the interstates seemed to have left behind. You meet the nicest people there and they love to tell you about how great their community is and most want you to "stay awhile" and talk.

...Wherever we end up, we'll wind our way back home and then get ready for a summer trip to Nova Scotia and maybe Newfoundland.

Didn't mean for the "couple" of comments to get so lengthy, so I'll stop. Bottom line though, Beth, is that it gets better all the time. I don't know how many hundred thousand miles I've put on bikes since the late 50's, but I don't think any of them have been as fulfilling as being on 3 wheels.

You'll see!
Now THAT is inspiration!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to post all of that... that makes me even more excited!!

Quick Reply: Sidecar post