Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Sidecar post

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:10 AM
Beth in Tampa
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my rig

You were so right! Thanks for the words of encouragement- I added a couple of sandbags for ballast and it wasn't as big of a deal as I thought - though I had to constantly remind myself not to follow the same lines I used to on 2-wheels (watch that right side!!!)... <whew> Speed was interesting- it was a windy day and at times, it felt i was going faster than the speedo showed, LOL - I felt like such a newbie.

It was a very different experience- some roads I felt as if I had to muscle it the whole time, others it was pretty smooth except it wanted to go slightly right... I have learned many roads in my area are more reverse-cambered on the right to facilitate rain run-off and that seemed to require more effort. Never really noticed it on 2-wheels!

Once home, I couldn't wait to take her back out - I went for a long ride, couldn't find a lot to practice my sidecar class exercises, so did what I could with the lot I found... I came home and took a willing passenger for a ride in my neighborhood, then I sat in the hack for a bit in the driveway, enjoying the sun, holding one of my dogs to get her used to it, then of course, after straightening up the garage to make enough space for the rig, I had to go for another spin So fun! The weather is bad today- very windy & rainy, so I guess I will let my fatigued muscles rest, at least until we get a break

Old 03-01-2009, 07:22 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to hear you got it out and enjoyed your first day riding. We all go through the same things your experiencing with adjusting to the the rig and the riding conditions either riding a trike or sidecar

Welcome the world of 3 wheel riding

Old 03-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the report and glad you're excited. I'll pass along to you the words a friend told me when I got my first sidecar, "Life will never be the same or dull again". He knew what he was talking about too. He's older than I am too (if you can imagine that), up in his 80's now and been riding a rig for about 30 years. Have fun!

Old 03-01-2009, 09:45 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha ha! Alrighty. Good for you. I found it hard to get used to the way the side car makes the bike rattle in ways thats not normal. I'm over it now but initially it was weird.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Beth in Tampa
Advanced

Thanks for the support I'll post pics soon!

Beth

Old 03-07-2009, 07:30 PM
StogieSoftail
Novice

Congrats!! We have had our Liberty since October, and I am always ready for a ride. We have put on a lot of miles, just on short trips, mostly because of weather. We cannot wait to go on a long trip this summer!
We have so much fun at stops; people are generally fascinated, and want to know what it's like. Enjoy!!!

Old 03-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Beth in Tampa
Advanced
Default sad :(

Dealing with the repercussions of a poor setup... I hired a shop I was told was experienced ( and who told told me they were) to save myself days & days of my first setup. Thought I would just deal with adjusting toe in and leanout.

I am new to this, so after further research, and spending Saturday disassembling the incorrectly attached brackets, I find my new rig is not only setup incorrectly, but unsafe -the shop omitted parts and altered brackets unsafely (cutting within millimeters of the bolt hole on the lower front attachment.

I am so frustrated and mad... now I have to wait for replacement parts and dealing with the shop who did the bad job...

And we are having a gorgeous sunny & warm weekend which adds insult to injury!!!

Thanks for listening, just needed to vent.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:48 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beth in Tampa
Dealing with the repercussions of a poor setup... I hired a shop I was told was experienced ( and who told told me they were) to save myself days & days of my first setup. Thought I would just deal with adjusting toe in and leanout.

I am new to this, so after further research, and spending Saturday disassembling the incorrectly attached brackets, I find my new rig is not only setup incorrectly, but unsafe -the shop omitted parts and altered brackets unsafely (cutting within millimeters of the bolt hole on the lower front attachment.

I am so frustrated and mad... now I have to wait for replacement parts and dealing with the shop who did the bad job...

And we are having a gorgeous sunny & warm weekend which adds insult to injury!!!

Thanks for listening, just needed to vent.

Crap! I hate when that happens. Was told when I bought mine it was all set but still had Dale from wheels through time eye ball it for me just the same. Have you located some of the downloads on the WWW with regards to sidecar set up? It gives photos of what the bike should look like once set up and just sitting there (which by no means the answer but a helpful diagnostic tool).

It'll all work out and good deal you caught it on time.

Last edited by badinfluence63; 03-08-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:11 PM
usturbine
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Beth sorry to hear about your bad setup.

i have installed several sidecar rigs both non Harley and Harley. and have seen many rigs installed incorrectly and complaints about poor handling. sounds like you are on the right track and safety is foremost.

I have owned several sidecar rigs since 1968. i have attached a pic of my current 94 Ultra and Friendship III sidecar. that pic was taken in 95 just before our trip to Sturgis. i have a matching trailer as well. My Girls grew up in that sidecar and had 5 trips to Sturgis in it before they were old enough to get there MC license and now own there own Bikes. They still tell all the people they meet about there trips in the sidecar.

Attached Thumbnails Sidecar post-famharley.jpg  
Old 03-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So sorry, Beth. Those things do happen I guess, but it always hurts when it does. Just look at it this way... be proud that you caught it for safety's sake and you are going to get it right. I do hope that shop will make good on it for you though. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Sidecar post