Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Sidecar post

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 04:21 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing that adds to either being on a hack setup or trike is you become a bigger object on the road for those in cars to take notice of you.

Good luck with your rig and hope you have many years of enjoyment

Old 02-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Beth in Tampa
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good point! Another plus!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:45 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beth,

Congrats on the velorex, not to shabby a choice and nice looking. Gets the job done eh. As sidecar rider myself it has been a learn as you go proposition. The heady reading material sure gave me at least an outside clue before hand and most lijkely diverted those learning the hard way lessons. I wished I could have taken the class. What kids of things did they discuss, just out of curiosity?

Good luck, take it slow and have fun.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:08 AM
Beth in Tampa
Advanced

Good morning! The class was good, but as you said, the practice will be key (just as riding 2 wheels). The on-range experience was great - we had a 3:7 instructor ratio, so with each exercise, there was plenty of advice shared. Much better to run over cones and have the instructor tell you what you can do to remedy the wrong turn line than to go off the road or hit curbs, or worse!

The main thing is using body weight into turns, when to use both brakes (usually) and how to slide the rig into turns with front brake technique, etc. And I am one of those riders who can really get into my own head and having someone remind mee over & over to keep my head and eyes up and loook over my should was an excellent reminder. They worked with me post class to get me to fly the rig in a controlled fashion, albeit I did not master that one (yet).

These guys invited me back for the mere price of range insurance once I get my own rig set up if I so choose. A great group and a good class. I plan to go back to class

Old 02-17-2009, 10:26 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Beth in Tampa
Good morning! The class was good, but as you said, the practice will be key (just as riding 2 wheels). The on-range experience was great - we had a 3:7 instructor ratio, so with each exercise, there was plenty of advice shared. Much better to run over cones and have the instructor tell you what you can do to remedy the wrong turn line than to go off the road or hit curbs, or worse!

The main thing is using body weight into turns, when to use both brakes (usually) and how to slide the rig into turns with front brake technique, etc. And I am one of those riders who can really get into my own head and having someone remind mee over & over to keep my head and eyes up and loook over my should was an excellent reminder. They worked with me post class to get me to fly the rig in a controlled fashion, albeit I did not master that one (yet).

These guys invited me back for the mere price of range insurance once I get my own rig set up if I so choose. A great group and a good class. I plan to go back to class
One thing I didnt realize when I first started riding my trike is the amount of of push pull you do in a days time riding. More so on long road trips then short rides. You will get tired at first and even feel some soreness ( I did ) but you will work your muscles and get stronger over time.

Another thing you will have to adjust to when you get your sidecar is how the rig wants to pull to the shoulder more, due to the slope or un-eveness of the roads. Older roads that havent been paved in a number of years tend to have ruts and settling that will affect the rig when riding.

Also keep in mind when its windy depending what direction the wind blowing it can be a handful and push you at times. I had to deal with 50mph crosswind coming from the Bonneville Salt Flats to Salt Lake City Ut and it wore me out that day

Hope this helps prepare you

Tom

Old 02-18-2009, 05:48 AM
CherryHog
Road Master
Location: west of the west side of Indy, many miles from nowhere

Hi Beth, I just got my Hannigan Astro mounted with one 5 mile ride in. It's sure different, but I think it'll be a good adventure. Have fun and keep us posted on your setup.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Beth in Tampa
Advanced

Will do! Now I am struggling finding a way to get the sidecar transported to the shop for install - didn't think it would be a big deal to get it from Tampa to Clearwater (20 miles +/-)!

Please post some pics of your setup!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Beth in Tampa
Advanced
Default Excited

Had to post, I feel like it is Christmas Eve... picking up my new rig in the AM- my Nightster had her sidecar attached this week and I get to pick it up tomorrow!

A little nervous about the 20+ mile ride home... mulling over the lessons from sidecar class and the not-quite-finished David Hough book!! Anyway-stay tuned!!!

Old 02-28-2009, 04:49 AM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Know what you mean...

Don't be nervous. Only problem you'll have is not being able to keep the huge smile off your face . Keep us posted if you ever have time now to get back here to the forum.

I remember when I picked up my first rig and rode it home (75 miles). My first stop was a building supply place near the dealer where I bought 2 bags of sand and put in the car to help keep it on the ground. I probably didn't need them, but it made me feel a little better.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:00 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beth in Tampa
Had to post, I feel like it is Christmas Eve... picking up my new rig in the AM- my Nightster had her sidecar attached this week and I get to pick it up tomorrow!

A little nervous about the 20+ mile ride home... mulling over the lessons from sidecar class and the not-quite-finished David Hough book!! Anyway-stay tuned!!!
Take it slow, anticipate your turns and slow down. Take it slow the speed comes later. You'll be fine. I love the straight aways,lol.

Quick Reply: Sidecar post