Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

what is best a sidecar or trike

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 02:45 PM
sidecar
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is best a sidecar or trike

what is the differance in the way a trike and a sidecar handles I have a side car but don't know about trikes do they take corners better than hackes?

Old 11-02-2008, 03:59 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no comparison between a hacks and a trikes cornering capabilities.
I personaly love the looks of hacks, but, a trike will not only out corner a hack it will out corner some two wheelers......
Trike corners the same left or right........
Hack will corner OK to the left but if pushed to hard in a right turn, can start to lift the sidecar (flyin the hack)

Brakeing is also much straighter on a trike....

Old 11-02-2008, 04:24 PM
msmary
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I just got back from a 2500 mile ride to Missouri, Kentucky and back to Michigan riding with a sidecar. We worked very dilligently to get the bike and car fine tuned before the ride. This was our first experience with a sidecar. She rode beautifully. Smooth ride even up to 80 mph. He read up on all the info on riding before we left. We have no experience with Trikes, but the Hack made the turns great. The only downfall so far is taking more gas to operate and tire wear, which we are looking into for better performance.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member

I've never driven a trike very far, but after several years with a rig, I love it. If it is set up right (toe-in and lean angle) it handles like a dream. I've been able to outdo many 2-wheelers in left hand turns, but right handers are a little tricky. If you want to take a right hander pretty fast, you have to learn to brake the front a little while giving it enough throttle to keep the car on the ground (causes the rear to slip a bit). Learning your limitations is an endless process too. With a car set up with a brake connected to the rear bike brake, you can also stop very fast and straight. Gas mileage sucks too. I'm only getting between 30 and 33 loaded. Also, mileage on a rear tire is only about 6,500 to 7,500 miles on OE Dunlops (depending on how aggressive you are). On the last rig I had, I only got around 6,000 because the toe-in wasn't exactly right.

Sorry I can't compare my rig with a trike, but might be able to in a few weeks when I get to try one out for a few days. I'm looking forward to that for sure.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:51 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I rode a buddys Ultra with a sidecar several years ago and now with the loss of my left leg above the knee, I am now riding a trike. The advantage I see is handling first and formost. You can make turns much easier at slower speeds both left and right.

The second is the weight difference the engine and transmision have to carry. A sidecar adds almost 300 extra pounds to the setup and adding alot of stress to the frame of the bike. My trike kits is a 175lbs extra, it bolts to the exisiting mounting location of the swing arm and shocks. My trike also has a onboard compressor to keep the air bags on the rear suspension pumped up

Third is maintenance, Tires on a sidecar rig wear out fast and the rig requires more checkups on the frame . I have 15k on my trike at the moment and will have to change the front tire around 18k. My rear tires still look new. When changing oil you have to lean ove the seat to add your fluids beacause of the sidcar

With both setups you get the advatage of not having to worry of droping the bike in a gravel parking lot or doing a slow speed sharp turn. Both will give you better stability in rainy weather while riding.

Price up front on a sidecar if added to a your touring bike will be lower, but in the long the run the trike will cost less due to lower maintenance needed to the rig

Hope this helps

Old 11-03-2008, 09:58 AM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain

OK.....Please understand I'm not putting any hack rigs out there down! I LOVE THE LOOKS OF THEM and am sure set up right they can handle VERY WELL. But what was originaly asked was "do trikes handle corners better then hacks.........and the answer to that would have to be a resonding yes! They may handle similar in normal riding conditions.......However if you drive very agressivly or more importantly...in an emergency situation, such as a high speed swerve, then people need to be aware of the limitations of a side car. Simple physics dictate that a trike is going to handle better than a hack set up, and in the real world they do.

Having said all that I in NO WAY think that hacks are dangerous or that someone should choose a trike over a sidecar........
Just be fully aware of the differnces and drive accordingly.......

Old 11-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member

I agree with you FBTRIKE, and I didn't mean to imply that a rig handles even close to the way a trike handles. I should also have emphasized the high learning curve in getting used to a rig. And I wouldn't dare try to convince anyone to put on a sidecar without looking at all other options first.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There was just a story on a mother / daughter trip around the country on a Deluxe with a sidecar.

They left Massachusetts and headed out west. The article says that when they were in California the rear tire was shot and had to be replaced. Other than that the bike ran as smooth as silk.

Here's the article:

Welcome to the Forum!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:42 AM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Ultra 08
I agree with you FBTRIKE, and I didn't mean to imply that a rig handles even close to the way a trike handles. I should also have emphasized the high learning curve in getting used to a rig. And I wouldn't dare try to convince anyone to put on a sidecar without looking at all other options first.
Thanks Ultra.......didn't think thats what your were implying......
I was just tryin not to talk down sidecars but point out what I see as the main difference......

To be honest at times I wish I had a hack. I would love to take my dog with me on rides......

By the way thats a pretty rig you have.........

Last edited by FBTRIKE; 11-03-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member

Thanks for the compliment. There's a trike rider around these parts that has a medium size dog that rides on the passenger seat . Scares me to see it, but I don't guess he's putting the dog in too much danger.

Quick Reply: what is best a sidecar or trike