Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

thinking about it

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 08:54 PM
belmac
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about it

thinking about triking my 07 ultra somewhere downd the road. which is the best kit and do i want independent suspenion and what else do i need to consider. right now the california sidecar conversion looks good but i had a indy tell me today i wouldn't be happy with it of course he was trying to sell me on the DFT kit.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:05 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a DFT Smoothie on a 2001 Fat boy. My wife loves the thing and I enjoy riding it once in awhile. Our kit cost $14,300 installed with a Champion reverse and painted to match the bike. I know its a bunch of change but it beats not riding.

The DFT has independent suspension with two springs and two shocks per side. It also uses one brake in the rear that eliminates it pulling to one side if the brakes get out of adjustment like the old Lehman's.

The Smoothie looks like an old Stingray Vette from the rear.

Check them all out and then decide. Its a big jump and a bunch of money so don't go with the first thing you see. They now have the "tiltster" but I want to see the bugs pushed out of those before I will commit.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:31 PM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the tiltster has been around a couple of years, now, but i have never seen a review of one. i imagine that if there were something negative to be said, we would have heard about it, by now. mystery also has a very good rep for building good quality stuff.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:38 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dft

Originally Posted by kentuckydave
We have a DFT Smoothie on a 2001 Fat boy. My wife loves the thing and I enjoy riding it once in awhile. Our kit cost $14,300 installed with a Champion reverse and painted to match the bike. I know its a bunch of change but it beats not riding.

The DFT has independent suspension with two springs and two shocks per side. It also uses one brake in the rear that eliminates it pulling to one side if the brakes get out of adjustment like the old Lehman's.

The Smoothie looks like an old Stingray Vette from the rear.

Check them all out and then decide. Its a big jump and a bunch of money so don't go with the first thing you see. They now have the "tiltster" but I want to see the bugs pushed out of those before I will commit.
I also picked up a new DFT rear to build my trike out of a bone stock 1993 EGC. I have my own fiber-glass rear body for the trike. i didnt care for the DFT fiberglass body they have. tho it has the vette tail lites. It just seamed too pear shaped for my liking. Im also planning on altering the frame tubes under the original seat section. So I can sit down in the trike and not on top of it.
RJ

Old 08-26-2008, 05:41 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the best thing you can do is try to ride some.......Indepedents are usually a little smoother but more money......straight axles a little rougher but I like the way they corner better.......flatter. Mystery leaning option sounds real nice but is the only one I wasn't able to ride......Their all a bit different, do you want air ride or not, lots to consider. I rode as many as I could before jumping in....it's a huge investment.........Good luck and let us know what you decide.