Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Thinki'n of pull'n a trailer....

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:59 PM
2d3k2h
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinki'n of pull'n a trailer....

Got the idea that lil miss and myself might do some camping.Looking at what we need to make&nbsp\\;it enjoyable seems a pull behind might be in order.Guys\\; need any info on a trailer purchase,brand \\;hitches safety issues...anything you might give me to help with a decision.I run 06 SG 21" ..18" wheel set up.Stock 88" stage one stuff.Will I be able to pull it and stop it and how will it affect ful milage\\;handling...ect.....never pulled one. Thanks for any replies...Dave

Old 07-01-2008, 08:28 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thinki'n of pull'n a trailer....

secret is to keep the trailer as light as possible, and watch out for what type of suspension the trailer has.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Leaf springs have a nasty habit of bouncing the trailer when hitting a bump..&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I pull a bushtec behind my UC, so likely is a bit different, but it has no effect on the bike except for the weight of the trailer affecting starting out and stoppin..&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; There are likely some hitches available for a SG.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; With my trailer, I have seen little effect on fuel mileage, but of course it has to affect it a bit.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I still get 35-40 MPG with my stage one.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
If you can find a hitch go for it. just be cautious on what type of trailer you get and how much total weight you are pulling behind you.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I'd recommend the empty weight of the trailer not be over 125-170 lbs.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Also, ensure you get a wiring isolator, so that if something does go wrong with the trailer wiring, you don't fry the wiring on your bike.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-05-2008, 05:06 PM
SLP24
Tourer
Default RE: Thinking of pulln a trailer....

Be careful pulling the trailer. Being that it is homemade, you have no specs or capacities.&nbsp\\;

Make sure you pre load that trailer exactly like you plan on doing it when on the road. Remember not to exceed the weight limit of the bike with passenger, rider and trailer. Once you determine the weight, then load it up and take it on the road without your passenger. Get a good feel for it. Try it around town, on the highway and some rough roads as well. The trailer will pull the back of the bike around a bit. Now try it with your passenger. Make sure you are both very comfortable before setting off on your trip.&nbsp\\;

A light weight trailer will tend to get kicked sideways a bit when on the road. This happens when both wheels hit a bump and its sent air-born. If there is the slightest crosswind (from a passing car, semi or weather) when the wheels return to the ground, they will not be in the right spot and you will feel a Yank on the back of the bike. Either right or left but also back. It could also wobble a bit if it bounces back the other way. In a truck or semi, we can stop this by applying the trailer brakes and it straightens it out. On a trailer with No Brakes, you have to SPEED UP to stop it. Braking will cause it to escalate.&nbsp\\;

Others most likely pulled trailers much farther than I on a motorcycle, but as a professional driver I have pulled a variety of trailers and experienced many interesting effects that that trailer towing has caused. When I pulled a trailer on the bike, it was a Uni-Go Trailer. A one wheel trailer with a universal coupler. I also had the rather nasty pleasure of being hit not once but twice while pulling it. Sideswiped once in Fla and got totaled in Lake George.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:54 PM
2d3k2h
Cruiser
Default RE: Thinking of pulln a trailer....

Great info sorry it"s taken soooooo long to respond havent been home(over the road driver)anyway have been look"in at Bushtec&nbsp\\;,way expensive but seems to be a solid choice.I just need it for weekend camping trips and to carry stove,tent chairs bags ....ect.any other help you can give would be appreciated...Thanks Dave