Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Harleys Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008 | 10:07 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
|
Road Warrior
Default Harleys Warranty

This is my first post to this website. I have a 2008 Roadglide with a Motor Trike kit installed. With only 1750 on the new rig my shifter paw broke on me riding to Myrtle Beach HD. After the repair was done they called to tell me that Harley wouldnt honor the 12 month warranty nor would the7 yr unlimted warranty be honored. So thanks to Myrtle Beach HD throwing me under the bus so to speak, I now own a new bike with no warranty at all. Just wanted to get it out there that if you take it to a different dealer whom wasnt the dealer that installed any of your aftermarket accesories,the possibility is that you better be ready to pay for any repairs and lose your warranty all together as it has happened to me.

Old 05-07-2008 | 10:49 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Default RE: Harleys Warranty

Welcome aboard and so sorry to hear about your bullshit and annoying shame on the dealer situation. I hope that varies from shop to shop.

I just discovered a electronic SNAFU on my consol pod/head setand it is suppose to be covered under warranty......lets see how that goes. I will know next Tuesday. I am off to Ashville for a few days

Old 05-08-2008 | 01:01 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member

Unfortunately, any modifications done to your bike;i.e., trike kit, Voyager kit and such will indeed VOID your warranty. If you have an extended warranty, might as well cancel it and get your money back...don't ask me how I know.

Old 05-08-2008 | 02:03 PM
Keystone
Road Warrior

"Unfortunately, any modifications done to your bike;i.e., trike kit, Voyager kit and such will indeed VOID your warranty."

Not true Spudster. Some dealerships go out of their way to let people beleive that, but it's simply not true. If you add something to your bike and it causes a problem, then that problem may not be covered under the warranty. But simply adding a trike kit or Voyager type kit does not void the warrenty.

Point in case: Look at this post. Brand new HD trike conversion sold by a Harley Dealer.

Old 05-27-2008 | 09:38 AM
vibratinharley
Novice

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312
Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) . For best results, consider working with performance-oriented dealerships with a proven history of working with customers. If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov.

Old 05-28-2008 | 03:05 PM
jbhawley
Road Master

I have heard some horror stories about HDs warranty. Personally, take the warranty that comes with a new bike and save your money.
Basically, it seems that HD (moco) lets dealers have very much leeway on warranty work. It is up to individual dealers disgression as to whether they will actually accept the warranty or not. Dealer A will accept the warranty and do the work...dealer B, 50 miles away will not. Go figure. Bad way to do business.
I quick story for a co-worker...
He bought a new Springer in 04. Bought the extended warranty. HD had a "deal" that if the warranty was not used at the end of the extended warranty time, the money would be refunded 100%. Basically the 1500$ extended warranty he would get back. Well, HD wanted all the service records from basic service to any chrome added...everything, plus all documents that were sighed three/four years ago. It has been 5 months since he supplied HD with all the docs they required...still no $$$$.
Now here is my question/point...
if he never had any warranty work done, why does he have to jump thru all these hoops. It should take 30 seconds for HD to pull the VIN and see if any work...warranty or otherwise.