Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

New HD Trike owner from Wales

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Johnlyn
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New HD Trike owner from Wales

Hi all, I have just joined your group and have posted in the new member section. Have had a couple of trikes and there's a brief story in that post as well as links to the trike builder's website. Not got the Lehman Ultra yet but I'm looking forward to it's arrival.I'm on a real learning curve as I have never ridden a Harley. I'm going to have a lot of questions so if I get over enthusiastic with my posts just tell me . WhenI finished riding 2 wheelers I wasn't sure what to expect with the trike, but it's the best and I have to be honest I no longer miss 2 wheels and my wife is happier on the back of the trike. In the last 6 years I've covered about 39000 miles on trikes, and I'm looking to cover 12000 this year. First question. Will the Kuryakyn 1 1/4" tour-tech cruise mounts fit the ultra's engine guards? I need to be able to stretch my legs when riding and these look good, plus there's a pair on ebay at the moment. I'm also hoping to get in touch with a couple of trikers in the UK.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:54 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New HD Trike owner from Wales

Johnlyn,

Welcome aboard the good ship trike/trailer and sidehack. I recently purchased a sidecar bike after many years of 2 wheels. Its an experience still in progress.

One of the local dealers here sells Leihmans trikes and there a sight to behold.

I've always wondered if trikes are easier to navigate then sidehacks or the same?

I hope you come to enjoy your first HD.It'll be different then anything you've ever ridden.You'll either really like it or really not. Give it a good honest chance.

There was a poster on the HDforum who was trying to sell his recentently purchased Ultra so he could get a Goldwing. He did not like the Harley experience. To each his own.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:09 AM
grumpa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John lyn Welcome to the forum.
You talked about the mileage you have but on and what mileage your planning on putting on. What county's have you traveled with your trike, Did you ever use the tunnel from the UK to France.? If Icover your mileage in a year that is two trips to the west coast here in the Us for us.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:40 AM
bdn56
Road Captain

Welcome Johnlyn, I am also new tothissite. Lots of good info from other members. I need to add some pegs to my engine guard also. I am not sure which type fits with lower fairings? I need to stretch out a little along the ride. I hope to ride a lot more when I retire (again).

[IMG]local://upfiles/28484/E195A882B6444061B4BE22E0B1187837.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-21-2008, 08:56 AM
grumpa
Tourer

oh well

Old 04-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Johnlyn
Novice

Hi all, thanks for the welcome.Grumpa (Dadcu in Welsh, I have a 2 year old grandson and will be known to him as Dadcu. To keep the language alive I will only speak Welsh to him, end of sermon ). So far only ridden in the UK and Spain, a trip by ferry 2 nights to Bilbao in Northern Spain and then rode to Barcelona for the Moto GP in 2006. This year have one definite trip to France with my ex side patch club. We all go out on the ferry but the wife and myself are returning on the Tunnel, and I am looking forward to it. I am in the process of selling a house, so if the money's right, it's not a good time to sell, I will blow some of it on a 2 to 3 week ride down to the Moto GP at Valencia Spain in October. I'm going to the race but if I'm short of cash will fly out and keep the trip to a week.Here in the UK it costs to get overseas especially on a car or trike, bikes are pretty cheap depending on the time of year. I have been to Paris France in the winter and it's too cold to ride, so to get to Spain in October you have to take the long ferry through the Bay of Biscay costs about $800 +.Hopefully soon I will move to Spain to live they I will be able to ride as much as I want. Always been envyous of the distances you can travel in America, would love to ride accross east to west or west to east. Stay safe

Old 04-22-2008, 06:26 PM
tjmac49
Outstanding HDF Member

Johnlyn: Welcome to the Forums; please post pics when available; congrats!!!

Old 04-22-2008, 07:16 PM
grumpa
Tourer

DADCU
Knowing a little about Europe and the UK , It must be nice to be able to cross into different county's and culture's. As far as crossing the US, I want to do it again before the heat gets to be to much in the south west this year. But then there is always Canada
How nuch of a ferry ride do you get for $800

Old 04-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Johnlyn
Novice

Grumpa, Ferry takes you from Plymouth or Portsmouth on England's south coast to Spain's Northern coast ie Bilbao or Santander. The one we took Portsmouth to Bilbao is a 2 night crossing, and only one on the way back the other route is quicker. Bit concerned how the weather will be in October. It was flat all the way in June, but that did not stop me throwing up for a good few hours . My wife and myself have been learning Spanish for a few years and provided the talk very very slowly as if we're morons (which we are) we can between us get the jist of the conversation. Don't think somehow I'm ever going to be trilingual somehow.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:04 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain

Hi johnlyn,
Welcome from the Colorado Rockies....I'm new here also and working on my first trike. I test rode a couple of sidecar rigs and a few trikes beforeI jumped in. A lot of people love the sidehacks including a good friend of mine but my trike will out corner his rig anyday, he can't keep up on mountain twisty roads...But he is happy with it, and thats what counts.
Ride Safe

Quick Reply: New HD Trike owner from Wales