Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Toe in toe out

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 03:15 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Toe in toe out

As a new side car rider/driver my reluctance to removing/replacing the sidecar on and off my ultra is not understanding key aspects of that process. I do know if it is not done correctly it can cause excessive tire wear and never mind dangerous.

I have read 2 major components of this process. That being toe in/toe out for the side car wheel (I think) and 1% lean on the motorcycle. Those being the 2 main concerns after one is all set up and attached.

Question/concern:

*is the toe in/toe out established after the 1% lean of the bike?
*what determines which way to go, toe in or toe out?
*is it a gentle adjustment of both ti/to and 1% lean of the bike?

Old 02-27-2008, 08:11 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Toe in toe out

I don't really think it matters which is set up first first - I had to adjust both anyway.

The 1%, some say more, depends on the weight of the hack, provides enough lift on the hack so that at speed the hack doesn't drag you to the left.

The toe in (pointing the hack toward the bike) is so that the hack will push the bike to track away from the hack, further reducing the tendency to drift to the side the hack is attached to.

My hack is on my right. My bike's lean (have never actually measured ti) is to the left, it is noticable, an observer can see it. The hack is slightly toed in toward the bike. It took several trial and error combinations of lean and toe-in to get it just the way I want it. I ride at about 65 mph and find that my hands are relaxed on the bars, I am not having to fight to hold the rig straight. If the road's crown is excessive, and its a 2-lane, I'll shift to the lane that is most comfortable.

Hack

Old 02-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Road Toad
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

With my set up, once the tow is set, removing and installing does not change anything. I only have to remove the two 3/8" bolts on the struts, the steering stabalizer, two 3/4" main attachment bolts, unplug the wiring harness and the quick disconnect for the brake line. So the tow and lean are not changed.
The lean is the neat part on mine, it's electric. I hit a switch on the left grip and it raises or lowers the side car to compensate for road crown, and gives a little lean in the curves.
If available for your rig, get the electric lean control, you'll be glad you did.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:34 AM
sumdumtech
Cruiser

With my set up, once the tow is set, removing and installing does not change anything. I only have to remove the two 3/8" bolts on the struts, the steering stabalizer, two 3/4" main attachment bolts, unplug the wiring harness and the quick disconnect for the brake line. So the tow and lean are not changed.
The lean is the neat part on mine, it's electric. I hit a switch on the left grip and it raises or lowers the side car to compensate for road crown, and gives a little lean in the curves.
If available for your rig, get the electric lean control, you'll be glad you did.
the proper toe in on a hack is around 1 inch Do this by getting 2 straight edges longer than the bike and setting them on 2 by 4's left side against both tires right side aginst the hacks tires. measure the distances from front to back you should be around 1 in less in the front for best handeling and tire wear. if not adjust the front heim joint in or out accordingly

[IMG]local://upfiles/55106/C940EBA0FC96459F9CDFEC141335679C.gif[/IMG]

Old 04-09-2008, 10:14 AM
silvergoldsmith
Road Warrior

I do believe that 1" of toe is quite excessive. Mine is under 1/2". Every s/cinstallation and adjustment[lean&align] is different as there are some many variables in sidecar mounting. In my opinion, what I have learned/noticed in the past year, the most important thing is s/c wheel lead. This is the second s/c I have adaptted to this m/c. the other was a Velorex 562. The two s/cs set-up with diffferent wheel lead distances and handle differently. I don't care who did/does your s/c atttachment the odds are it can be improved. It is so dependant on the person operating the rig. One of the most knowledgeable sidecar people I know of is Hack'n/Lonnie, he can be found through www.sidecar.com