Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Sidecar for 2014/2015?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 05:47 PM
kilometers
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hewatson
The wife likes the hack even though it rides a little rough compared to my 2011 FLHTP with a true Harey hack. The Hannigan body is mounted to the sidecar frame, the harey sidecar s set up on leaf springs kind of like a baby buggy. The Hannigan rig sits lower and I can get in the curves better. Lots of fun o drive.
Dang, so it is YOUR fault lol. I have been talking with Hannigan about the Indian Heritage sidecar for my 2015 Ultra Limited. They sent me YOUR rig's photo as an example of what one looks like on a Harley and it was love at first sight. That is an absolutely gorgeous rig!!! It would be my first Harley hack but I am on my second Ural and would have to compare the ride to that, but would think it would be superior to the Ural's ride. Plus, I don't think I would have any issue maintain highway speeds going uphill ...... ;-)

Old 02-13-2016, 08:06 PM
Hewatson
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love it. It is my third rig. I talked with Herb at Hannigan a long time to get it the way I wanted it. They are good people to work with. It is a heavier rig than the true HD, but if I don't want to be passed on the highway I will make you work for it. I have rolled it up to 100+, but no trouble cruising at 85

Old 02-14-2016, 07:55 AM
kilometers
Intermediate

I love it. It is my third rig. I talked with Herb at Hannigan a long time to get it the way I wanted it. They are good people to work with. It is a heavier rig than the true HD, but if I don't want to be passed on the highway I will make you work for it. I have rolled it up to 100+, but no trouble cruising at 85
Cruising uphill at 70 and not losing power would be nice lol. I love my Ural but sometimes there is a need for sustained highway speeds. Was Hannigan able to hook into the Harley intercom? It would be great if they could and I saw that as one of the nicest features of the TLE sidecar.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:08 PM
Hewatson
Intermediate

If you are talking about a port in the hack, I did not put one in. If you want com. You can teathered to the port on the rear seat. You coud take that port off and move it inside the sidecar. Only the TLE Ultra had hook up in the hack.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:52 AM
kilometers
Intermediate

If you are talking about a port in the hack, I did not put one in. If you want com. You can teathered to the port on the rear seat. You coud take that port off and move it inside the sidecar. Only the TLE Ultra had hook up in the hack.
Thanks...that makes sense and doesn't screw up an already working intercom. I need to talk with Hannigan some more...really like the way your rig looks and think it's exactly what I'm looking for. Factory 2 year warranty is up in November and am trying to decide about the extended warranty vs the sidecar issue voiding the warranty. Local dealer in Huntsville wasn't totally convinced adding the sidecar would void the warranty and is looking into it for me. I just had the auxiliary light switched replaced and picked the bike up yesterday (they said they replace 2-3 a week. Crazy on a newer model to be having switches go out). As far as the Hannigan goes - did you get a sidecar brake installed? Of all the things, that's the one thing I'm most leary about monkeying with (no pun intended) given the reflex brake stuff on the bike. I'd hate to tap into the stock break setup and have issues.....and the sidecar disk brake on the Ural (beginning in 2014) has been more problematic than when I had drum brakes on the hack. Still, the Ultra Limited is significantly heavier and capable of higher speeds and I can see where an extra brake could come in handy.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:37 AM
Hewatson
Intermediate

Yeah, put the brake and the ECC on mine ,no problems with the linked brakes the scooter. You could call Herb at Hannigan and he could give you the list of everything I put on mine. I am well pleased with all f their work. The sidecar brake is so good tat it des pull some to the right if you use the rear brake only. Apply a little front brake and she is straight. I am thinking about installing a proportion valve to back the hack brake off a bit.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:23 AM
kilometers
Intermediate

Thank you. I will call Herb and reference you rig, it is awesome.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:34 AM
Hewatson
Intermediate

Thanks, you will enjoy talking to Herb. I bet I called him every other day during my build.