Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Helmet rules likely to be nixed

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 03:45 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,601 Likes on 2,724 Posts
Default Helmet rules likely to be nixed

w0oT!

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...ly-to-be-nixed

Old 04-04-2011, 08:34 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not in favor of repealing helmet laws.

I would only consider supporting the repealing of helmet laws IF there were further provisions in the law protecting car drivers from manslaughter or more serious traffic infraction charges if it can be shown that a helmet could have possibly saved a killed motorcyclist's life.

I'm all for personal freedom, but I don't think that extends to the road where someone who kills you because you weren't wearing a helmet could be in a lot more trouble than if they just injured you if you were helmeted.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Nabubba
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is good for those that are still in Michigan.

I wish that we could have that choice here in NC but I feel it will never come about. And if you read the article there is some interesting information in it.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:50 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,846 Likes on 19,331 Posts

I think you are missing the point! Laws to protect the driver of the car? Why would there need to be a law to protect the driver of the car if the driver of the car was not at fault? So your idea is that there should be laws to protect incompetent vehicle operators from the ramifications of their own actions? Makes perfect sense to me. NOT !!! Give me a break!

Old 04-04-2011, 08:57 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you are missing the point! Laws to protect the driver of the car? Why would there need to be a law to protect the driver of the car if the driver of the car was not at fault? So your idea is that there should be laws to protect incompetent vehicle operators from the ramifications of their own actions? Makes perfect sense to me. NOT !!! Give me a break!
I am a car driver sometimes too. I would like to keep this civil.

As a car driver, I know that accidents sometimes happen. Is there anyone on this board who has been driving a car for more than a few years who has not ever had even a single minor accident?

I would not like a minor bump to turn into a lifetime of litigation and defense attorney fees if an accident happens and I kill a rider who would have walked away if they had a helmet on. Not to mention the personal emotional agony I would feel at having accidentally killed someone.

I think that if you build something into the law protecting the people around us who share the road, then have at it. You should be allowed to have no helmet and dress in road camo, but others around you should be protected from the results of those decisions if an accident happens.

Maybe laws like this already exist in some non-helmet states, idk.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:07 AM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

drive like you might get sued

Old 04-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Obummer will want to enact a law to put/wear seat belts on anything with over 49cc's

Old 04-04-2011, 09:22 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,192 Likes on 22,601 Posts

Again; "Let those that ride decide".. Individual choice..The way it should have always been.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,846 Likes on 19,331 Posts

Originally Posted by cameraboy
I am a car driver sometimes too. I would like to keep this civil.

As a car driver, I know that accidents sometimes happen. Is there anyone on this board who has been driving a car for more than a few years who has not ever had even a single minor accident?

I would not like a minor bump to turn into a lifetime of litigation and defense attorney fees if an accident happens and I kill a rider who would have walked away if they had a helmet on. Not to mention the personal emotional agony I would feel at having accidentally killed someone.

I think that if you build something into the law protecting the people around us who share the road, then have at it. You should be allowed to have no helmet and dress in road camo, but others around you should be protected from the results of those decisions if an accident happens.

Maybe laws like this already exist in some non-helmet states, idk.
So I guess what you are saying is that you need laws to protect you from yourself? BTW ... I am being civil. I am aslo very passionate about the rights that I have helped retain for all individuals in our great country by serving in our military from 1969 through 1971. I did that because it was the right thing to do. Yes I drive a car ... although I am partially retired .... I drive a school bus also. I am infinitely aware of those who are on the road with me each day and am fully aware that ultimately I am the one who is responsible for my own actions. It is a risk that I assume each and every time that I sit behind the wheel. I DO NOT NEED LAWS TO PROTECT ME FROM MYSELF! We have way too much government in our lives now.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:49 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Looks like pretty much a Michigan thing ... you need a helmet in that state to keep your head warm ... lol

Quick Reply: Helmet rules likely to be nixed