Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Michigan Trip

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:13 AM
fontana1205
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and to me, the grating wasnt bad. it was the cross wind that got me nervous

Old 04-03-2011, 11:24 AM
CaboWabo5150
Advanced

I live in the the Traverse City area, and ride these roads all summer long.. You do NOT want to pass up the chance to ride M-22 around the finger from Manistee to Traverse City.. And you absolutely do NOT want to pass on M-119 a.k.a. the Tunnel of Trees from Harbor Springs to Cross Village... It's the best riding in the State of Michigan except for maybe 41 up by Copper Harbor...

Old 04-05-2011, 06:35 PM
HighLiner
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CaboWabo5150
I live in the the Traverse City area, and ride these roads all summer long.. You do NOT want to pass up the chance to ride M-22 around the finger from Manistee to Traverse City.. And you absolutely do NOT want to pass on M-119 a.k.a. the Tunnel of Trees from Harbor Springs to Cross Village... It's the best riding in the State of Michigan except for maybe 41 up by Copper Harbor...

Harbor Springs to Cross Village...Is that a paved route?

Old 04-05-2011, 09:09 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HighLiner
Harbor Springs to Cross Village...Is that a paved route?
Yep, it is paved and it is awesome...enjoy!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:40 AM
CaboWabo5150
Advanced

Yes it is paved and awesome... Check this link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw1I2CJaPVc

Old 04-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Haywired
Road Master

I would continue to Saulte Ste Marie and then follow the south shore of Lake Superior across. Much more scenic and worthwhile. From the Sault, head to Whitefish Point, Taquamenon falls, west to Grand Marais, Munising, Marquette, Lanse', Houghton, up to Copper Harbor on 41 to the tip of the Keeweenaw with a side trip up Brickway mountain, from there across M26 through Eagle Harbor back to Houghton, over to the Porcupine Mountains State Park (Lake of the Clouds) and then head over towards Ironwood and Hurley, WI and head south from there. I've been on both routes and feel it's a much better way to go.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:37 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Jay, here is how I would run up through Michigan...

I would avoid Toledo and Ann Arbor, too congested. Shoot over into INdiana and find 19 headed north. As it gets into Mich it changes to 99. Follow that north until you get to Albion. Take 199 (Michigan Avenue) west to Marshall. As you are coming into Marshall you will come to a stop sign. There will be a Love's Truck Stop to your right. Turn left (west) and go through Marshall until you get to the fountain. Traffic goes around the fountain to the right, so take a 1/4 turn and turn right headed north on 27. Take that until you get to Olivet. Just as you get through Olivet S. Ainger Rd will be on your left, almost like a fork in the road. Take it to your left, still headed north. When you get to 79 (Lawrence highway), turn left (west) and take it to m-66. Its lika a dog leg and picks back up, headed west, a few miles north on M-66. So turn right (north) on 66 and ride on into Charlotte. Stay on M-66 north for a while, through Ionia (watch your signs) continuing on 66 until it crosses 57. Turn left on 57 and ride over to I-131. Turn right (north) on 131 and go about 3 miles to 46 west. Turn left there and go 10 miles or so to M-37. *I'm suggesting you ride up M-37 instead of the coast because its far more scenic running your through lush forests and lots of country.* When you come into Newaygo there is a great eatery there, can't remember the name, but they serve fresh sandwiches in an outdoor type setting. Continue northward on 37 the Mesick (the Morel mushroom capital of the world) and on up into Traverse City. There is a small HD dealership on your right as you are coming in TC. The view of the bay as you crest one of the hills is breathtaking. Stay on 37 right up to the bay. If you go left there is a great eatery-Apache Trout restaurant-fantastic trout dishes, eat out on the deck along the water, on the right, or if you turn right (the way you will be headed on your trek) there is a great drive in on the right -Don's Drive In. Not really a drive in but it has that motif, and HUGE hamburgs and REAL shakes. Several places to stay all around you there too.

So when you go east (right) you will be on 31. Stay on 31 on around the other bays until it goes through Acme and heads north. On your right you will pass Grand Traverse Resort where 'The Bear' golf course is, designed by Nicklaus.

It will be a beautiful ride through some beautiful countryside, taking you along Torch Lake (19 miles long and one of the 10 most beautiful lakes in the world), through several little burgs and thru Charlevoix, Petosky and Bay View. All very quaint, great places to stop. Eventually it meanders back to I-75. Take that north and across the Mighty Mac. Riding over the grating is childsplay. Tell your noob not to look down, not to hold the grips too hard and just let the front wheel guide you straight ahead. Tell him to trust the tire. Once over stop in St Ignace. Once in the 'Yup' (upper peninsula) things get a bit different. Its said the 'yup' runs about 40 or so years behind the rest of the country in terms of modernization. There is no clearcut route through where you can see it all. The Soo Locks are cool but you will have to take I-75 north to Sault Ste. Marie then double back south to catch the main road west, 28. I would take that to 123 and turn right (north and go see Tahquamenon Falls. Stay on 123 all the way until it takes to to the upper and lower falls. 123 will continue through Newberry and on back to 28. Turn right (west) and head on over to Marquette. Catch 41 south down to Escanaba and take 35 out of Escanaba headed south along Green Bay on into Menominee, on through Green Gay and into Fond du lac. Out of Fond du lac I would take 45 south and ride through the Kettle Moraine cuts. Beautiful ride through there. 45 will take you back to 41 and take you into Milwaukee. The Museum is a must see as is the Capital Drive Assy tour.

Did I lose you??? LOL

Last edited by glideridemike; 04-08-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,826 Likes on 19,323 Posts

Even when they are doing work on the bridge there are always lanes open. Watch the cross winds .. they can be wicked sometimes. If the wind is really blowin' sometimes they will hold traffic for a bit, however if it is windy use the semi's to help you. Even if you are going north you can use the trucks to your advantage. Don't worry about the grates ... you get a little wobble out of the scooter ( usually just enough to freak out the ol' gal. If you'er lookin' for a very biker friendly place to spend a night try the Clark Motel in Strongs ( about 1 hour the north side of the bridge ). Andy and Patty are really great people, the rooms are super clean and I guarantee you that you will be overwhelmed with how cool there place is. The back lot and out buildings are really something to see. Even if you don't spend the night check it out as you go by. You won't be dissapointed.

Last edited by Uncle Larry; 04-09-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Beerswimmer
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

I live in Traverse City too, whatever way you choose you have to at least detour to ride M-22 and 199. They are a MUST ride!

And I want to join in!

Old 04-13-2011, 06:54 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So, it looks like M119 and M22 are included. Somebody mentioned Pictured rocks on the coast of Superior. That mightbe a bit far for us. We like to tavel 225 to 275 miles per day, for a motel and settle in for the night. we don'tlike to push it. We're in it for the ride and not the miles. If we see something interesting we stop, if we see it as we pass, we turn around. The museum in Milwaukee is also on the list. Might just buy a rivet to celebrate the fallen riders from the home area. We'll see which way the wind blows from there. Mike, we might just run your route in reverse for the trip home as we need to visit some friends near Adrian and Grand Rapids.

Quick Reply: Michigan Trip