Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Illinois DMV test

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008 | 06:40 PM
Norb
|
Cruiser
Unhappy Illinois DMV test

I just can't seem to pass it on my Sportster. Anyone have a small 250 cc bike I could take the test with. I do fine when I practice thru the cones. I can get thru most of the time. But once the test starts I screw it up. Any advice.
Help!!
Naperville area.

Old 08-21-2008 | 08:12 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Damn dude... I can't imagine what there is to do that you can't do it on a Sportster. You obviously just need to practice more. What part of it are you bombing out on?

Old 08-21-2008 | 08:24 PM
deadeye1340?
Cruiser

There are a heap or folks here to help...with a acone weave for example, look ahead, don't look down at the cone you are currently going by or around, because you will be late for the next, and the next...and so forth. By the time you near the end, you'll be all outta whack. You really need to succeed at the test on your own bike...you can't borrow the 250cc scoot just before you crash that Sporty can you?? Put down where you are having issues and let us help... or PM me if you don't want it public

Old 08-21-2008 | 08:32 PM
zumaster
Advanced

Don't know about where your from, but down here, we have a Honda dealership across the road. For something like $25. they'll "rent" you a small bike, drive it over to the DMV and let you take the test on it.
You could check into that. Also, if you know of anyone with a 150cc scooter, they'll accept those as well.
Good luck!!

Old 08-21-2008 | 09:04 PM
Norb
|
Cruiser

I run into problems on the cone weaves. I practiced at our church parking lot and did good. Until I go to the test. Then I bomb out. I noticed that a lot of dealers have classes for 350 bucks and then take you for the test. They provide a small bike so it almost guarantee their students will pass. I guess I just need more practice. Thanks for your input guys.

Old 08-21-2008 | 10:15 PM
StreetBob07IL
Intermediate

Hey I took the test on my street bob, my suggestion to you would be to actually go to the DMV and practice on the course, the dots are painted on the ground, that way you have a feel for the actual course. The best advice I got was to go as slow as possible.

Old 08-21-2008 | 11:03 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Norb
I run into problems on the cone weaves. I practiced at our church parking lot and did good. Until I go to the test. Then I bomb out. I noticed that a lot of dealers have classes for 350 bucks and then take you for the test. They provide a small bike so it almost guarantee their students will pass. I guess I just need more practice. Thanks for your input guys.
Deadeye nailed it in advising you to look ahead, not at the cone you're passing. Also, di it in as straight a line as possible - don't make big half circles around each cone.

How are you at riding slow in general - pretty comfortable or not? Are you concentrating too much on staying upright while going slow? Maybe, rather than practicing weaving around the cones, you need to work on getting more comfortable going slow.

Which DMV have you been going to? (city)

Old 08-22-2008 | 06:56 AM
Norb
|
Cruiser

Thats the funny part. I actually do feel pretty good going slow. I have gone to Naperville/Aurora. Failed once at each location.lol This is getting embarrassing. I am planning on more practice this weekend at the DMV course.
Thanks again.

Old 08-22-2008 | 08:34 AM
dschoemaker
Intermediate

Consider taking the MSF class, it is only $20 (and that is refundable). Pry to late to register now, but you can show up and try to get in as a standby. Pass course and you get liscense, no other test required.

Dave

Old 08-22-2008 | 09:51 AM
Lures
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dschoemaker
Consider taking the MSF class, it is only $20 (and that is refundable). Pry to late to register now, but you can show up and try to get in as a standby. Pass course and you get liscense, no other test required.

Dave
If you show up for this course, remember they require:
* Helmet: minimum 3/4 coverage, DOT approved. A helmet will be provided if you don't have one.
* Boots: tall enough to cover your ankles, with normal (1"-2") heels. High-top leather gym shoes are acceptable.
* Long pants: heavy material with straight legs.
* Gloves: must be full fingered, leather is preferred, open backs are discouraged.
* Long-sleeved protective clothing: shirt or jacket.
* Eye protection: face shield, glasses, or goggles.

Go to the web site: http://www.outreach.niu.edu/mcycle/default.shtml

Good Luck

Last edited by Lures; 08-22-2008 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Illinois DMV test