Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Illinois DMV test

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008 | 09:30 PM
MyRide7
Tourer
Thumbs up St Illinois rider course

All
St of Illinois conducts Rider courses along with the Illinois State Univ. Most are held at the "Local" Colleges, Caterpillar lots etc, One is held in Aroura (sp?) and Joliet areas. Like some one else said may be late to get in this year. Are posted on the Web site in early Feb, at www.motorcyclesafety.ilstu.edu/index.shtml

$20.00 and use bikes provided.. Friday nights Books and Video, Saturday all day practice, Sunday short practice in the morning and then Written test and then ride test. You fail you are out. You pass both and take Certificate to DMV and pick up License, INS. is cheaper! Take their Experienced class the year after if you can (use your own bike).

Good Luck.Get at the place early and try to get in standby.........Sorry for the Link will have to copy and paste............MyRide7.................Marty.

Originally Posted by Norb
I just can't seem to pass it on my Sportster. Anyone have a small 250 cc bike I could take the test with. I do fine when I practice thru the cones. I can get thru most of the time. But once the test starts I screw it up. Any advice.
Help!!
Naperville area.

Old 08-23-2008 | 10:45 PM
Coovster
Intermediate

This site http://www.mrp.uiuc.edu/ lists some locations that are offering the course thru mid October. Click Select a Course and find one close to you and try your luck as a Walk - In.

Good Luck Bro!

Old 08-28-2008 | 04:29 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Hey Norb... I stopped by the Aurora DMV today to finally take the riding portion of my test. I passed and got my M license, but, I see what you mean about getting nervous. I have no idea why I did. I've been thinking it was a no brainer thing (I used to teach the MSF course and have been through those exercises, or similar, thousands of times).

The slalom was the biggest challenge for me. The Wide Glide should really be called the Long Glide! I nearly hosed it on the last cone. I actually stopped for a second and put my foot down. ... but, I passed anyway.

Now we just need to work on getting you through it.

Old 08-28-2008 | 08:57 PM
Norb
|
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Hey Congrats MidnitEvil! I haven't had much time to practice lately. I did go over to Naperville last Sunday and I was able to get through the slalom about 60% of the time. That is my only hangup. I am going to try and get into a MSF class during a weekend in September. Again Congrats!

Old 08-28-2008 | 09:54 PM
potsie100
Stage II

MSF course is an excelent choise to complete. Ride their bikes all weekend, nothing but constant repitition. When I went I had already been riding 12 years. I learned quite a bit, had many people that had never been on a motorcycle before, and they all passed their tests. Its a good class, you learn alot.

Old 08-29-2008 | 04:10 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Not to change the subject Norb, but I was looking at the pic of your sharp looking Sporty, and wondering if you bought it at a local dealer, and if so, which one?

Old 08-29-2008 | 07:28 AM
Norb
|
Cruiser

I bought it from a private party. My neighbors nephew was selling it. I just kind of fell into it. I was interested in buying a bike but knew I probably could not afford one with all the other toys I have. (wife)
Then this bike came along and I got a smokin' deal. Even my wife said you would be stupid to pass it up. So here it is.
I kind of unique. Based on the racing heritage. Which is cool but it kind of limits me to what I can do to the bike. Bags or windshield just would not look good on this type of bike. What do you think?

Old 08-29-2008 | 01:19 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member

Getting caught in the rain without saddlebags to stash rain gear in has a certain look too! A flyscreen such as a Tracy or MemphisShade would add to the racing look and give you a little deflection.

Old 09-05-2008 | 04:40 PM
Norb
|
Cruiser
Thumbs up Finally!

Passed the test today! I had the day off and went over to the DMV in Naperville and practiced till my clutch hand was killing me. lol
One of the employees of the DMV was outside and was watching me. He said you are ready, go take the test.
I wanted to give my hand a rest so I had some lunch first and then took the test.
Third times a charm!
Thanks Guys.

Old 09-06-2008 | 06:51 AM
fontana1205
Cruiser

I still dont understand how going as slow as possible around accouple of cones makes us good riders. cars dont have to .
no road test , alot of the test makes no sense.

Quick Reply: Illinois DMV test