Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

St Louis~relocating

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:25 PM
psc
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default St Louis~relocating

New job may haul me out to StL area. So the ultimate question becomes...what's the riding out there like? Lots of M/C's and groups? And are there lots of activities/runs/events during the season?

Thanks in advance to those who pm or open reply.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Ben W.
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, don't know where you're coming from so don't know what you're use to. Good riding in the Midwest; the Great River Road runs right through STL, and there are the Great Lake loops. You're also close to Wisconsin, Minnesota and the Dakotas, and of course there are other directions to travel. You would be practically sitting on the east end of Route 66. There are clubs; there are riders. If you want to have fun and meet folks, you will. Let us know how it works out.

Ben

Old 08-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Budmiester
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Welcome to St. Louis, if your job does send ya. Riding wise, depends on how "hard core" you are. Usually, you can count on a good seven to eight months with decent riding weather, about March to October. One thing about the weather here, if you don't like it, wait a few hours, it'll change. We've Bar-B-Que'd on Christmas Day, and have had to wear leathers on 4th of July. There is some of the most beautiful areas to ride you could ask for. To the south is the Ozarks. Southeast into Illinois reminds me of Virginia. Northeast in Illinois is flat and sucks, but it's flat. And sucks. There are plenty of HOG chapters. MC's are spread around with national and local representation. Like everywhere, the cagers can be morons. During the summer,which tend to be Hot AND Humid, there's always a poker run or ride somewhere, check with the local shops for info. Lots of really good indie shops if you don't want to deal with Stealerships, but some of them are decent to. Depends on where you live. It's a pretty spread out city. Missouri is a helmet mandatory state, Illinois lets those who ride decide. Housing here is below the national average price wise. If you have any other questions, let me know, PM if ya want to. Oh ya, Baseball and Budweiser, thats all you need to know!

Old 08-24-2008, 12:56 PM
psc
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default St Louis

Thanks to all--great heads up. Will find out first week of October--so the move would take place around Nov-Dec. This should give me the colder months to figure things out and be ready for the deeper riding months.

Originally from Boston, lived in Virginia and So Texas...lastest gig has been in Idaho. I ride as much as possible...and will be looking to hook up with larger groups.

Hopefully it will work out...and if it gets cemented I will be back on this thread for more questions and advice.

Beer-Bud-Baseball-Bikes...you're right--that's all I need to know, sounds like home to me.

r/

psc
IWMC