Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Illinois Freedom Run

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008 | 05:00 PM
pyrocop
|
Intermediate
Default Illinois Freedom Run

Are any of you planning on attending the Illinois Freedom Run. To date it has been the best run I have ever been to. Check it out on line at www.ilfreedomrun.com

Old 02-06-2008 | 02:51 AM
troopin
Cruiser
Default RE: Illinois Freedom Run

I made the run last year and for a few years before that pretty much since it started I think I have only missed one of them ...honestly it is for a great cause but I would suggest just heading out to marcelles and bypassing the whole run thing out of joliet...last year it was not organized very well as they get more attention and more people. they were actually turning people away as much as a half hour to an hourbefore the actual start time and telling peopletojust head out there..many near misses on 80 running out there and way too many people that do not know how to ride in a group setting constant switching lanes in and out of traffic no exits were closed to incoming traffic as was supposed to be a lot of drivers had no idea what was going on and the bikers were blocking the exit ramps so cars would force thier way in same with the on ramps and cars trying to get on instead of running it in groups spaced out everyone went out as one group causing mass confusion on i80... you can still give your donation by just heading out there...too big.. too many people...not organized enough... but one of the best causes out there so definiately go give the donation but skip the parade run itself.. just my .02 there also were not many vendors out there last year.. kind of like the helmet fest was...used to be cool now it has materialized to so much less... but like I said go for the cause, fun but skip the ride.. also once there it is a real nice ride out there going to starved rock or elseware

fyi the link you posted is incorrect.. since it is a non-profit organization they do not use the .com here is the correct one http://www.ilfreedomrun.org/ a lot of people make that mistake it has become so common to use .com lol... and please dont think I am trying to flame you here but after making so many runs this is just not as fun of one due to the sheer number of people and inexperance of riders there..and I want to make sure people know that

Old 02-07-2008 | 09:57 PM
pyrocop
|
Intermediate

I appreciate the correction on the website. I personally am an Iraqi Freedom Vet and I love what the wall stands for. This run is the main money maker for the wall. You are right it wasn't well organized but what made it the best for me was what it represented. I do hope you still at least go to the wall to show support for the troops on it and the ones still fighting. Thanks

Old 02-09-2008 | 04:00 AM
troopin
Cruiser

Yes i go every year like i stated.. just want people to know what to expect as i said you can just go straight there and donate just the same and skip the parade part.. be safe...I too am a vet and agree with the cause

Old 02-09-2008 | 09:03 PM
Smokeater
Cruiser

I agree with troopin, it is a great cause, but not as organized the past couple of years. Remember last year...it was flipppin HOT out! I was also thinking about just going to marseilles on our own. Last there we arrived to line up at about 730am, and was still pretty far back. A lot of bikes in a small area, especially cruisin on 80.

Old 02-10-2008 | 10:16 AM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior

I didnt go last year but the the year before that there was 37000 bikes there. It was a great time. My brother was a newbee then and almost crashed on I 80.I heard last year there was 50000 bikes. Dont know if I'll go this year since I live half way to Marsailes anyway. Maybe I'll see you all there. I'll be the guy on the Harley. LOL

Old 02-18-2008 | 08:20 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member

They always manage to hold it on the same day of riding back from the ABATE state party in Altamont. If there's one weekend a year I can go if just to see *******, it's it.

Old 03-08-2008 | 09:34 PM
Ybnormal67
Cruiser

Have to agree the organization was pretty bad. But it has grown so much I am sure it is not an easy task. Anyway I am actually off work this year and finally havea bike so I might just have to go. The only thing bad about the ride is I live in Marseilles. You might see me that day I will be the only one going to Joliet on I-80 he he. It is a great cause I too am a vet it also saddens me to see how many additional slates have been put up since the inception of the memorial..

Later,
Joe

[IMG]local://upfiles/43328/7FA7565AE96045D89DEEC15E1A6BF5FA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-09-2008 | 11:31 AM
model1911a
Cruiser

This ole vet must still have shell shock but.............I've been to the web site and can't seem to find a date as to when the ride is, where it starts and all the good stuff needed to know. I'm from Henry Ill., and enjoy causes that actually mean something. Someonepm me please....................

Old 06-23-2008 | 12:29 PM
redbeer
Stage I

My wife and I were there Saturday we road directly there from Joliet with a couple of friends well after a stop at Fat Daddyzs in Seneca. We attended the ceremony and it was quite a&nbsp\\; moving experience. we are planning to go back on a Sunday when there is not so many people there. This was the 3rd year we have gone and it seems to get better every year.