Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Visiting KC, Missouri

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:06 PM
PhatHarley4Me
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Visiting KC, Missouri

While visiting KC, I would like to venture out a little more to explore some of the areas country side. Having made the ride from Florida , I'm looking for a nice day ride (roundtrip) somewhere out of Kansas City heading either West or North.I thought about riding to Omaha to say.."i've been there". Naturally during this part of the trip, I want to avoid the highway and enjoy the small towns.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Visiting KC, Missouri

Not really the direction your talking about but how about Branson Mo, and the Table Rock lake area? There's not many prettier lakes around than Table Rock. You could also try lake of the ozarks.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:12 AM
953b
Stage I

This is a nice ride in the fall, lots of color. Take Hwy 33 north out of KC to Hwy 136, go east all the way to Hwy 63 go south to Kirksville and take Hwy 6 west all the way to Gallatin and go south on Hwy 13 to Richmond and take Hwy 10 back to KC. Lots of small towns, Kirksville has a beautiful state park, Thousand Hills State Park. It is a great ride!

Old 07-25-2007, 08:14 AM
PhatHarley4Me
Tourer

Thank you 953b!

Sounds like a nice run....

Old 07-25-2007, 08:24 AM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior

Not from the area, but have ridden that way several times. 953 has a good plan. You also could ride toward Lake of the Ozarks. Depending on where you are in the KC area, it's around 150 miles.
While in KC, if you are a baseball fan, I'd encourage you to go to the Negro League Museum. It's downtown, somewhere near 12th and Vine. Guarantee you could spend all day there!

Old 07-25-2007, 12:23 PM
PhatHarley4Me
Tourer

Thanks for the info...

Yes, We already have plans to visit the museum.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:23 PM
firewatch
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, on a stretcher!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:27 PM
LBussy
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: PhatHarley4Me

While visiting KC, I would like to venture out a little more to explore some of the areas country side. Having made the ride from Florida , I'm looking for a nice day ride (roundtrip) somewhere out of Kansas City heading either West or North.I thought about riding to Omaha to say.."i've been there". Naturally during this part of the trip, I want to avoid the highway and enjoy the small towns.
Kansas Highway 5, west from I-435 towards Leavenworth. Some of the prettiest riding down that way and a fun road. East of the highway there you can hit the Wyandotte County Lake (follow the smallish signs). It's a ncie trip around the lake, not too far, but pretty and worth a turn.

Also, don't forget to eat some BBQ while you are here! I reccomend Smokehouse if you like it a little sweeter, a more "peppery" one woulf be Arthur Bryant. Either is a winner.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:05 AM
MOSTWANTED
Road Captain

If you would be willing to go south and east, I would take 24hwy to 13hwy and stop in Lexington, Mo to check out the civil war stuff. Then take 13hwy south to 50. Take 50 east to Sedalia. There are lots of things to see in Sedalia including the state Fair in August (google search). Then I would take 65 south to Warsaw and checkm out truman lake. Then you could take 7hwy to lake of the ozarks, or back northwest to Kansas City. 7 Hwy is a lot of fun!

I recommend Jackstack or Arthur Bryants for bbq. Smokehouse is too run of the mill imo.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:16 AM
baxter
Road Warrior

my only suggestion is Gates BBQ in midtown KC MO, so good youll wanna slap somebody!

Quick Reply: Visiting KC, Missouri